2018 Budget 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: 2018 Budget
JustinS09 wrote:
Under the income section in the budget, which one of these is the Bobcat Club donations? Is it under Athletic Director?

Athletic Director.

It is part of why I stopped donating. He started holding that up as a metric of why he deserved a raise, etc. I will not allow a dime of my money to go towards a metric that makes him look better. Yes, I acknowledge that I'm kind of an asshole.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not saying that their only focus is on scholarships, but it's what they lead with and focus on the majority of the time. Most of what I get in the mail is along those lines. The website is more vague but definitely doesn't hit you over the head with wanting to build a great program. In fact, can you find anything on the website about how giving money will help build a better program overall? Not to keep going back to ATM, but they had the "building champions" slogan for quite a while for their 12th man foundation. I'm guessing it was pretty effective considering the slogan and related information matched the motivations of their donor base.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
JustinS09 wrote:
Under the income section in the budget, which one of these is the Bobcat Club donations? Is it under Athletic Director?

Athletic Director.

It is part of why I stopped donating. He started holding that up as a metric of why he deserved a raise, etc. I will not allow a dime of my money to go towards a metric that makes him look better. Yes, I acknowledge that I'm kind of an asshole.

It's hard for me to find fault with you. I straddle the line and give but only a little. I know that issues such as donor base come up in bowl selections. I also want to grow the program as a whole. Yet doing more just supports Larry....

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

What is BCAF support for 215,000?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
The Bobcat Club money can ONLY go to scholarships. That's it.

pretty sure that's not true.

Yeah, pretty sure I misspoke there.

To the best of my knowledge (and this too could be off), Scholarships have to be funded by the BC first. If there are funds in excess of that, then that's where I don't know.

But fairly certain that's how it's set up. They are restricted fund donations (again, to the best of my knowledge), which limits what you can use the funds for.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Here is the BC mission statement that clears it up.

http://www.txstatebobcatclub.com/sports/2013/7/5/Mission%20Statement.aspx

The Bobcat Club is the principal fundraising arm of the Texas State Intercollegiate Athletics Department. The Bobcat Club has provided a way for supporters to help talented Texas State student-athletes receive a top-tier education while pursuing their goals both on and off the field of competition. While the primary focus is providing scholarship support for student-athletes, the Bobcat Club is also focused on raising money for facilities upgrades and high impact projects that directly benefit our student-athletes.

The Bobcat Club is an organization of alumni, fans, former student-athletes, coaches and friends joining together to provide current student-athletes with a first-class education and a chance to excel both in the classroom and on the playing field. With the rising cost of school tuition, private contributions and support from our members is absolutely critical to ensure the ongoing success of our student-athletes.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Just got this in a txst email:

Texas State Distinguished Alumnus Richard Castro has donated $1 million for scholarships for student-athletes. In recognition of his generous gift, a room and seating area in the University Events Center currently under construction will be named in his honor. This is Mr. Castro’s second million-dollar gift in support of scholarships.

Just stop with the damn scholarships...

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm
SuperCat

LT Spider wrote:

Texas State Distinguished Alumnus Richard Castro has donated $1 million for scholarships for student-athletes. In recognition of his generous gift, a room and seating area in the University Events Center currently under construction will be named in his honor. This is Mr. Castro’s second million-dollar gift in support of scholarships.

You don't want Texas State to award athletic scholarships?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:
LT Spider wrote:

You don't want Texas State to award athletic scholarships?

to athletes who win, of course. any one of our guys should be thankful that we so much as cover their books after the troy game weeks ago. to award an athletic scholarship for tuition is based on the assumption that the athlete will compete and excel at the highest football level. we should not be subsidizing a kids education for mere athletic 'participation'

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm
SuperCat

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:

to athletes who win, of course. any one of our guys should be thankful that we so much as cover their books after the troy game weeks ago. to award an athletic scholarship for tuition is based on the assumption that the athlete will compete and excel at the highest football level. we should not be subsidizing a kids education for mere athletic 'participation'

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I thought my position was pretty clear on the issue but I forgot that we have some morons on this board.

Selling scholarships as a reason to donate isn't motivating to most potential donors....and they have many other avenues to do so. Selling athletics as the front door to a school and our needs to grow and get better is much more effective. People want to have great facilities, recruit better, join a better conference (eventually), and beat schools like utsa.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i don't have a problem w/ that marketing angle at all. large ticket items like facilities upgrades get their own campaigns. just 5 years ago we didn't have the money to keep athletes on campus over the summer. i would bet that we're in the same spot now w/ full cost of attendance.

"donate to beat utsa" or "donate to recruit better" makes it easy for jackholes like phratty and bubba to point at losses and rankings and scream that their* donations aren't doing anything.

*we all know they don't donate shit

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree that we need the money to cover the full cost of attendance and large projects have (or should have) their own campaigns. I'm just talking about the branding of the Bobcat Club and what motivates potential donors. Maybe I am an outlier but I don't find scholarships motivating. Think about your TXST friends that don't donate but would consider it with the right sales pitch. Think of a specific person. What would you go with to get them to join the Bobcat Club?

For me it would be:

*building an athletic department that will raise the national profile of the school
*a way to connect with and give back to TXST - be involved
*coaches, facilities, players scholarships

Did that guy just write us a million dollar check because he cares about scholarships? Doubtful. My guess is that he cares about funding the athletic department to be successful. Most of us donate because we want to be good in the big sports and have programs that we can be proud of. Those on here that stopped donating didnt do so because they stopped caring about scholarships.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 pm
SuperCat

LT Spider wrote:
I thought my position was pretty clear on the issue but I forgot that we have some morons on this board.

Selling scholarships as a reason to donate isn't motivating to most potential donors....and they have many other avenues to do so. Selling athletics as the front door to a school and our needs to grow and get better is much more effective. People want to have great facilities, recruit better, join a better conference (eventually), and beat schools like utsa.

If you don't know why it's a good idea to "endow" as many scholarships as possible, you really aren't very bright.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If your takeaway from my post was that I don't want to fund scholarships then I don't know how to help you.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 pm