Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What am I thankful for? That this season is OVER!! Discuss 
SuperCat

Post Re: What am I thankful for? That this season is OVER!! Dis
Saul Goodman wrote:
LSU Bobcat wrote:
How do you think texas universities compare to other universities in the same conference when it comes to defenses?

houston is top 3 for the 3rd yr in a row
tcu and texas are 1 and 3 this year, and both are typically top 5
tech and baylor could give 2 shits about that side of the ball
tamu isn't bad overall, but the $ec!$ec!$ec! is a shit offensive conference, so the whole conf is skewed.

not sure what the relevance of the question is, re: hs talent. if you asked the same thing of the other 3 or 4 big states and their universities, would you find any data that showed their players are any better compared to the programs in conf/outside the state?

coaching is so important as seen at texas this year new dc/staff and gives up 10ppg fewer than previous season, or here at txst where we're giving up 8ppg fewer than last year. hell, when baylor got serious a couple of year's ago and hired bennnett (and got some legit players on that side of the ball), they allowed 14ppg fewer than the previous 2 years. hell, we're giving up 8ppg fewer w/ essentially the same roster as last year (awad not withstanding), and i think we would all point to the scheme and coaching as the reason (and also awad).

Of course coaching has a large part, same on the offensive side of the ball. huh? Where we regressed with new coaches? But you're kidding yourself if you don't believe in correlation of talent to production.

And A&M is not good. At all. They soft as fuck. And they're well coached. Over the last two years they let us put up over 100 points. And we've always had a shitty offense. They feast on lesser teams.

And baylor/tech absolutely care about that side of the ball. Everyone knows offense wins games and defense wins championships. They just have shit talent.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

1. stop quoting every damn post in entirety when you're the next post. we all know what post you're referring to. are you paid by the scroll?

2. tamu's defense is soft, and they are absolutely not well coached - if they were, players like mack and alaka would be better individually, and defenses w/ so much talent would be better overall. luigi was so valued by your tigers that no one blinked when tamu "stole" him. "not bad overall" may have been generous, but they avgd <25ppg in 3 of their last 6 seasons (2x <22), and that's not bad at all. not consistent either, but not bad, even when you're getting fat on the little sisters of the poor, just like the rest of the $ec!$ec!$ec!

3. baylor and tech have cared about defense in short spurts (see: mcneill and bennett), but otherwise they have completely ignored even recruiting on defense, much less coaching it. that's how teams get shit talent - ignoring that side of the ball.

4. you have moved the goalposts multiple times on this page. first it was texas hs doesn't put out defensive talent, which was debunked. then it was some random correlation between texas universities defenses compared to their conference members, with zero reference points as to what a successful metric might be. now you've moved on to our offensive regression, trying to compare 2 completely opposite situations. what is the overall point you are trying to make?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
1. stop quoting every damn post in entirety when you're the next post. we all know what post you're referring to. are you paid by the scroll?

2. tamu's defense is soft, and they are absolutely not well coached - if they were, players like mack and alaka would be better individually, and defenses w/ so much talent would be better overall. luigi was so valued by your tigers that no one blinked when tamu "stole" him. "not bad overall" may have been generous, but they avgd <25ppg in 3 of their last 6 seasons (2x <22), and that's not bad at all. not consistent either, but not bad, even when you're getting fat on the little sisters of the poor, just like the rest of the $ec!$ec!$ec!

3. baylor and tech have cared about defense in short spurts (see: mcneill and bennett), but otherwise they have completely ignored even recruiting on defense, much less coaching it. that's how teams get shit talent - ignoring that side of the ball.

4. you have moved the goalposts multiple times on this page. first it was texas hs doesn't put out defensive talent, which was debunked. then it was some random correlation between texas universities defenses compared to their conference members, with zero reference points as to what a successful metric might be. now you've moved on to our offensive regression, trying to compare 2 completely opposite situations. what is the overall point you are trying to make?

yes, I get paid by the scroll.

Where was it debunked?

Where do most Texas universities get their players from? Pretty sad you can't draw that correlation without me holding your hand.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Where was it debunked?

in the post where i pointed out all the defensive players from texas hs drafter into to the nfl over the past couple of years.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
LSU Bobcat wrote:
Where was it debunked?

in the post where i pointed out all the defensive players from texas hs drafter into to the nfl over the past couple of years.

You're telling me a state with a population of 27 million people had a hand full of players drafted? The state with the second highest population US? Had the 5th most players drafted? That's debunking? yikes.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

please list the 4 states that had more than 39 defensive players drafted out of their high schools over the past 3yrs.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

and tell me what your argument is again?

NFL opening weekend rosters by state (2016)
239 – Florida
220 – California
214 – Texas
119 – Georgia
94 – Ohio

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I realize this was not the argument, but I'd almost wager that NFL starters is not a good metric of quality of recruits in a given state. Coaching, the right system, upperclassmen injury status, personal injury and the like could affect a path to the NFL.

I would say number of blue chip prospects each year would be more accurate, though I also get that is a bit vague as well.

Like I said... I know that was not the argument presented... Just my thoughts on it.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm
SuperCat

It's a difficult (if not impossible) metric to measure. Maybe include results from Texas high schools playing out of state high schools. I think allen and Desoto hqve played out of state. A long time ago southlake played some Florida school and lost. Around when southlake won a state title. Unfortunately saul isn't a very intelligent individual. He doesn't understand correlation if states with larger population producing more players. Well no shit. His homework should be to determine normalized values of drafted players to state population. His first step would be to look up the definition of normalized.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

you keep trying to say texas high schools don't put out talent. i keep proving they do. you have no facts to back up your argument.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:58 pm
SuperCat

Quit deflecting and do your homework. You piss poor metric of large states producing NFL players isn't flying. Convince me that defensive players in texas aren't what they once were. I bet you think Myles garrett isn't soft and will have a long NFL career.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think percentage wise, Texas is still like top 3 in talent... From a recruit perspective (star rankings).

It always seems to be California, Florida, and Texas all mixing it up.

That may be because the recruiting services can see more talent at a time by focusing on these higher population states, thus missing some... But still... I am pretty sure we are tops in the nation (and by tops, I mean top 5) in talent per capita.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Quit deflecting and do your homework.

says the poster who has produced not a single datapoint, to the poster who has provided plenty.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm
SuperCat

ohhhhh come on. I get your evidence and it's definitely relevant. Texas does produce a lot of athletes still. High school sports are still very popular here. But for football offense is now king, with all of these schools running some sort of spread offense. The big 12 (which most of the schools recruit texas) is also known for their offenses and soft defenses. My pathetically small datapoint was myles garrett. Texas native that received good coaching in college. He's soft as fuck and that was evident when he played other SEC teams.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

Has anyone from the media, like Keff, ever asked Withers what he needs to be successful here? I would love to hear from him what he thinks is the missing link. Is it funding, support from the athletic department, other outside influences, or what.

I think we can all agree, even the ones that don't like him, that we just want to see wins. Maybe by someone asking this questions, it would give us as a fan base something to rally behind and unify behind.

I feel like we could still get behind Withers as a fan base if there was a clear path to success that was being outlined.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next