Cleaning House 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Cleaning House
x wrote:
Bailiff was let go from Rice today.

I'd love for him to come back and be AD. keep Larry as compliance, and let Bailiff be the face of the athletics department.

I think he would bring back some SWT alum as well be an engaged and excitable figurehead for athletics as a whole.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
x wrote:

I'd love for him to come back and be AD. keep Larry as compliance, and let Bailiff be the face of the athletics department.

I think he would bring back some SWT alum as well be an engaged and excitable figurehead for athletics as a whole.

Nope. Teis gone altogether. I don't think for a second he would want Teis around--I don't think they were exactly buddies.

I do think Bailiff has the tools & talent to be a good athletic director though.

I also think Chris Park has progressed enough in his career that he is likely ready for the big job.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
x wrote:

Nope. Teis gone altogether. I don't think for a second he would want Teis around--I don't think they were exactly buddies.

I do think Bailiff has the tools & talent to be a good athletic director though.

I also think Chris Park has progressed enough in his career that he is likely ready for the big job.

Where is Chris Park at these days? He's definitely a worthy replacement for AD. I've seen this mentioned on twitter and I'm beginning to warm up to the thought of Karen Chisum doing a better AD job then Teis.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Chris Park is at UTEP and last I heard he was on the short list to get the Athletic Director job after Bob Stull's retirement, though checking this morning it looks like they hired Jim Senter from Citadel.

I think Karen Chisum also has the intangibles that would make for a good athletic director as well.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Chris Park is at UTEP and last I heard he was on the short list to get the Athletic Director job after Bob Stull's retirement, though checking this morning it looks like they hired Jim Senter from Citadel.

I think Karen Chisum also has the intangibles that would make for a good athletic director as well.

UTEP sounds like it's a mess right now. They fired Kugler (football coach) a couple weeks ago and are the only winless FBS team in the country. New AD comes in last week and met Tim Floyd (basketball coach) literally at the airport yesterday as he was leaving for Beaumont to play Lamar. Lamar beat UTEP and Floyd abruptly retired last night at the press conference out of nowhere after a horrendous 1-5 start.

They are 1-17 combined in football/basketball right now and don't have a head coach for either team.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Stull stuck around UTEP about 2-3 years too long. He was clearly suffering short-timer syndrome and wasn't inclined to act on a few festering issues. Those issues did not fall under Chris Park. Development & External Affairs has actually been one of the few areas not a mess at UTEP, which is probably why Park was the other finalist for the big job.

I'm impressed a bit that UTEP made an outsider hire. They have historically promoted from within.

It is notable that the UT system itself is having some leadership instability at multiple campuses.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:38 pm
Junior Bobcat

Not to hate on the guy, because I know literally nothing about him, but why would we want anyone that has been associated with Texas State in the past to be our AD?

Maybe someone can fill me in on his qualifications, but personally, I would prefer someone that has no prior knowledge of Texas State. Someone who walks in and looks at the statistics of our University and forms their vision and goals based on that. Someone that comes in and only sees the 4th largest University in Texas and growing, the flagship University in the Texas State University system, our name and the potential behind it, the untapped San Antonio market, one of the biggest alumni bases in the state, and doesn't care about our recent history of mediocre Athletics.

If you knew nothing about Texas State and someone told you about our size, location, number of alumni, and the number of years we have had a football team, you would never think we would only be a member of the sun belt in our current situation.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Honestly, I prefer an outside hire for almost anything, including coaching. I don't mind it as much for athletic director positions, but it is awful for coaching hires. Emotional attachment is dangerous and leads to bad decision making when hard personnel decisions have to be made. If you don't believe me, ask Texas Tech about Kliff Kingsbury & perhaps the most ill-advised contract extension in the history of contract extensions. Hell, look at our coaching tree for further examples.

The only reason I'm talking about Bailiff, Park & Chisum is because athletic directors aren't exactly easy to research for amateurs like us, unlike football coaches and other coaches. I suppose we could talk about Lynn Hickey, but honestly we only know her name because UTSA is nearby.

I mean, how many of you know a good athletic director without googling "good athletic director candidates 2017"?

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Not to hate on the guy, because I know literally nothing about him, but why would we want anyone that has been associated with Texas State in the past to be our AD?

In general, I totally agree. I don't want anyone who has experienced (or aided in) the inefficiencies and lackadaisical nature of our current environment.

The only reason I would like Bailiff is... I think he left because he was fed up with those inefficiencies and his time with the program before (as a player and a coach) could bring back some old school alumni.

It is a gamble, no doubt.

If I had my choice (pick of the reasonable litter, and all that), I'd like someone from a place like Boise or even a mid-tier P5 that learned you have to work and hustle to keep folks interested. Don't want someone from another struggling G5: those guys aren't making huge strides at their school now, and don't want someone from... say UT or Ohio State, as their donors are handing over cash like it's nothing. I want someone who has seen people busting ass to grow and increase donations, that built up attendance with wise hires, proper scheduling, and a dynamic personality.

But hell, I don't even know if we could afford that kind of guy. I'd almost be willing to suffer a few years with a cheap coach and a struggling program if a guy can come in and "earn" a high salary.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 am
Junior Bobcat

Who makes decisions on hiring a new athletic director and what the budget is for the AD?

Is it just Trauth, or are others involved?

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:

In general, I totally agree. I don't want anyone who has experienced (or aided in) the inefficiencies and lackadaisical nature of our current environment.

The only reason I would like Bailiff is... I think he left because he was fed up with those inefficiencies and his time with the program before (as a player and a coach) could bring back some old school alumni.

It is a gamble, no doubt.

If I had my choice (pick of the reasonable litter, and all that), I'd like someone from a place like Boise or even a mid-tier P5 that learned you have to work and hustle to keep folks interested. Don't want someone from another struggling G5: those guys aren't making huge strides at their school now, and don't want someone from... say UT or Ohio State, as their donors are handing over cash like it's nothing. I want someone who has seen people busting ass to grow and increase donations, that built up attendance with wise hires, proper scheduling, and a dynamic personality.

But hell, I don't even know if we could afford that kind of guy. I'd almost be willing to suffer a few years with a cheap coach and a struggling program if a guy can come in and "earn" a high salary.

Agree

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
busting ass to grow and increase donations, that built up attendance with wise hires, proper scheduling, and a dynamic personality

It sounds like what you have there rev is a Unicorn. You might find one of those at New Braunfels High but not ever in San Marcos

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Well, yeah... I kinda want to shoot for the moon with an AD, as I think that position drives ALL of athletics.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

rumor has it that the Bunn is making a short list of successful coaches that she will consider if she ever thinks that Larry needs to be replaced.
this inside source says that Morris Buttermaker tops the very short list.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Wait... Is that a mistype?

Why is she looking at coaches to replace Teis should (hahahahahaha) the need arise?

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 pm