Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 ***GameDay Thread VS GSU '17*** 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: ***GameDay Thread VS GSU '17***
x wrote:
Came on here expecting to see a lot of bitching about the coaching, but not much surprisingly.

My only complaint about coaching in that game (I mean, there will OBVIOUSLY be minor stuff, but I'm talking big stuff) is that Jones was not the QB.

Williams had a pretty dang good game, and I'm not "upset" at his play, I'd just would have wanted to see Jones get some real snaps trying to prep him for next season, now that there's no way we go bowling or win conference.

But.... Like Saul noted, they haven't cleared him yet.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

well, someone else said it - i'm just the messenger (and noted i don't believe them on this one). he was clear enough to play a couple of snaps last night, so...

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I've already bitched about coaching in the beginning of the year. Our coach still needs another very unlikely win to save if job if I was the fantasy athletics director. We haven't beat a full FBS team in over a year. CC is transitional. The team plays hard but doesn't have enough developed talent to win. Withers keeps kicking good players who are not choirboys off the team. Williams is eating up innings until this year while they get the young talent ready. He's basically our best offensive player. I was surprised that Bobcats could compete with NM State and probably outplayed GA State who has a decent record at this point. Don't see any reason we should beat either StAte or Troy on the road but miracles could happen. They are not Alabama or OU.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
Our coach still needs another very unlikely win to save if job if I was the fantasy athletics director...The team plays hard but doesn't have enough developed talent to win.

How to you square those two statements?

VP98 wrote:
Withers keeps kicking good players who are not choirboys off the team.

What is your stance? This should or should not be done? It's been noted that a not insignificant part of the team problem's under Fran were lack of discipline and accountability.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
CC is transitional.

with more scholarship players than us.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstlinds wrote:
VP98 wrote:
Withers keeps kicking good players who are not choirboys off the team.

What is your stance? This should or should not be done? It's been noted that a not insignificant part of the team problem's under Fran were lack of discipline and accountability.

It was noted last week and I think this week as well... We are one of the least penalized teams in FBS.

compare that with Fran's teams which (seemed to be) one of the most penalized... That's a definite sign of discipline, especially when you note that most of Fran's teams were upperclass heavy, while Withers team is mostly underclassmen.

I agree, there's an equilibrium that has to be reached... But since I'm seeing improvement from last year, I'm willing to say Withers approach isn't a bad thing.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Earlier in the season I said that if I was AD the head football coach would need at least three wins per season to keep his job. We are probably not going to make it this year but I will admit that the team does play hard with inferior talent.

I've also said before that I don't like the extreme hardass approach. None of our former coaches have kicked this many players off of the team. They have also all had better records than EW. I don't believe the Charile Strong approach works.

Saul, CC is a transitional team nevertheless not a full FBS team. So no, we do not have a real FBS win in over a year.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

no one expects us to beat a full fbs team - see: vegas betting lines for every game this year.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

VP98 wrote:
I've also said before that I don't like the extreme hardass approach. None of our former coaches have kicked this many players off of the team. They have also all had better records than EW. I don't believe the Charile Strong approach works.

I would counter and say that none of the other coaches ever had us near the top in penalties (meaning the fewest). We have historically had very undisciplined teams who committed penalties, heck... at one point (I want to say it was the ULM game), Fran got kicked out of the game.

I can totally understand your point of view in saying that the hardass approach is not a likable one.

I would only say that it's way too early in Withers' tenure to say whether it is working or not. But like I said, I can totally understand the dislike for it, as it generally takes longer to be successful.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't have a problem with guys getting kicked off for breaking rules they agreed to. The guys he recruited knew what they were getting into. Strong did the same at UT.

I'd rather be crappy because we are trying to make these guys solid leaders for the future then to suck like Baylor because your whole team fel apart after players were allowed to do whatever and cover it up.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

None of our previous coaches have kicked this many guys off the team. They have also never won shit while here. Lets keep doing the same thing!

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

wonder what UNT's plan was? Took them two years after a one win season.
There are different ways to do things. "Scorch the earth" is certainly one way, but as mentioned by others, it will take longer.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
None of our previous coaches have kicked this many guys off the team. They have also never won shit while here. Lets keep doing the same thing!

I was thinking this. The last thing our football program needs to be doing is looking at internal precedents.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 am
SuperCat

LT Spider wrote:

This is exactly what I was going to post. It's not like the bar has been set high with any previous coach.

As for the game, it's nice to see the offensive play calling continue to stay better. Just not good execution sometimes. Wish we'd see Jones more, if he's healthy.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am
SuperCat

Canaquedista Man wrote:
wonder what UNT's plan was? Took them two years after a one win season.
There are different ways to do things. "Scorch the earth" is certainly one way, but as mentioned by others, it will take longer.

Looks like they've done a fair amount of JUCO recruiting the last few years. Seeing similar results to what Fran did with similar recruiting. We saw how that worked out in the long term. Littrell might be a heck of a coach too. He's offensive minded and they've put up decent points this year.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next