Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17*** 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17***
Saul Goodman wrote:
overall, this is on withers. we were the better team overall, and even though i want to see jones in there, if you start williams and he's doing well, just leave him in!

Man I disagree. The team threw everything at NMST. Keeping their defense off balance was our success. Changing the look by changing QB was part of that, just like throwing Nelson in at QB. Our offense was not the issue or the cause of the loss today. I'd also argue that changing QB was necessary. If you leave Williams in at QB (all game) and allow their defense to further expose our OL it would be a shit show.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i can see that argument, and don't have anything to counter other than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", which isn't a great one.

i did love that withers threw the kitchen sink at them - multiple trick plays that were well executed and effective. even the fake fg was a perfect play call, just poor execution by the players.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

I really can't fault much about the offensive game plan. We have made a lot of progress in that area and withers deserves credit. The last two weeks have been great compared to what we saw against teams like HBU. Celebrate that progress.

Defense was a mess. Open receivers all over the place, consistently beat deep, big size disadvantage we did nothing to counter. We can hang with teams that line up and run it at us. Teams that are going to sling it all over the field destroy us and we haven't found an answer yet. You have to roll with the guys you have in the secondary so I would have tried to get the qb off balance with some blitz packages that were more creative. That creates other problems but I would try it rather than get torched all day.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Our softest part of the improved defense all year has been the secondary. I think (or like to think) Withers recognized it and knew it was going to be a shoot out.

That's my HOPE, because the secondary is what it is this season... It's a weakness on an otherwise improved defense.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
Defense was a mess.

awad didn't start and barely played at all - he's the single most important player on that side of the ball.

waddy was playing w/ one arm. per the postgame pc, they are deciding on whether to shut him down and put him under the knife now or wait until after the season. which makes sense looking back at some of the balls caught against him, because he was in perfect position.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

^Still haven't seen the DBs turn their heads to make a play on the ball.

Seems like they are in decent position but may lack confidence to make a play other than sticking and arm in between he wrs hands.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 am
True Bobcat Fan

well, waddy may not be able to lift that arm, so...

we also had 3 walk-ons playing d yesterday. peace, alley and graham.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm
Site Admin

Williams was 31/47 for 321 yards and 2 TDs. Why the fuck would you pull him out for the most critical drive of the game? It made absolutely no sense whatsoever and completely backfired with Jones going 3 and out AGAIN. Jones is a worse passer than Chase Wasson. There, I said it.

There has been a vast improvement in the offensive production the past two games but the coaching decisions have to improve as well. Otherwise we are going to be stuck at the bottom of the worst conference in D I-A for as long as Withers is here. Which, at this pace, thankfully won't be past November 2018.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

You going to write the check for the last two years of his contract? He gets at least 4 years.

Im still not judging anything until next year. At that point, I think its reasonable to start having some mild expectations. By year four I will have real expectations and will want him out if those arent met. This dumpster fire was never going to be a quick fix.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This game was exciting and frustrating. I see incremental progress each week.

Head scratcher was putting Jones in when Williams seemed to be in rythym. Williams lack of pocket awareness or internal clock means OL has to be near perfect which is not feasible.

Jones accuracy was way way off, with no touch either.

Recruiting is chugging along though. Trust the Process!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Did anybody see Kordell Rodgers in the game? I only remember seeing Dimery and Johnson

Also, Frankie Griffin....that dude comes to play!!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

treacherous wrote:
Williams was 31/47 for 321 yards and 2 TDs. Why the fuck would you pull him out for the most critical drive of the game? It made absolutely no sense whatsoever and completely backfired with Jones going 3 and out AGAIN. Jones is a worse passer than Chase Wasson. There, I said it.

There has been a vast improvement in the offensive production the past two games but the coaching decisions have to improve as well. Otherwise we are going to be stuck at the bottom of the worst conference in D I-A for as long as Withers is here. Which, at this pace, thankfully won't be past November 2018.

Took in the game yesterday. I wasn't really impressed either with Jones even though some here say he's the future. He might be good enough for a 50/50 run/pass ball control offense if we stick to that goal but he's never going to be a shootout-type QB with his skills, which this game was. His throwing motion and setup are very Tim Tebowish. Lots of english on his lateral throws to the sideline. I've said it before in prior years, but I guess the resources are just not there to get our guys any decent quarterback coaching and even in recruiting we are stuck with offering guys who don't go to any of those QB guru camps.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

txstlinds wrote:
Did anybody see Kordell Rodgers in the game?

box score says he played. http://www.txstatebobcats.com/boxscore. ... ll&id=5034

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bobcathusband wrote:
treacherous wrote:

Took in the game yesterday. I wasn't really impressed either with Jones even though some here say he's the future. He might be good enough for a 50/50 run/pass ball control offense if we stick to that goal but he's never going to be a shootout-type QB with his skills, which this game was. His throwing motion and setup are very Tim Tebowish. Lots of english on his lateral throws to the sideline. I've said it before in prior years, but I guess the resources are just not there to get our guys any decent quarterback coaching and even in recruiting we are stuck with offering guys who don't go to any of those QB guru camps.

Our starting qb came from Mississippi state. I'm guessing that he went to those camps and received training at a high level.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

if williams was the better choice for nmsu game then fine it made sense for him to play. we had 6 losses headed into nmsu game so there was a different mentality then this week against gsu. we have 7 losses headed into gsu so the season is now officially over and jones needs to start and play all of the final 3 games. game score outcomes are completely irrelevant at 7 losses forward

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next