Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17*** 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17***
JustinS09 wrote:
I haven't put many on withers this year, but this one is 100% on him. Playing Williams over Jones which contributed to several turnovers, and not going for it on 4th down when you needed to. The energy completely left the stands and the field when he sent out the punt team.

Williams was 31/47 for 321 yds, 2TD and 1 INT (because he was hit as he threw). All of his fumbles were because he was crushed from the blindside.

The notion that playing Williams contributed to the loss is ridiculous. We might not have even been *in* the game if he wasn't playing.

We lost for two reasons, and it's the same two reasons we always lose: DL can't get pressure and OL can't block.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

GoGatos wrote:
The notion that playing Williams contributed to the loss is ridiculous. We might not have even been *in* the game if he wasn't playing.

both can be true, and they are in this case. williams likely played his best game of the year, but his biggest weakness is holding on to the ball and he lost 2 fumbles on saturday - luckily neither led to nmsu scores, but they certainly put pressure on the defense/rest of the team. his int in the 3rd did lead to an nmsu score.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
GoGatos wrote:

both can be true, and they are in this case. williams likely played his best game of the year, but his biggest weakness is holding on to the ball and he lost 2 fumbles on saturday - luckily neither led to nmsu scores, but they certainly put pressure on the defense/rest of the team. his int in the 3rd did lead to an nmsu score.

But Foster HAS to pick up those blocks better. On the 2nd Williams fumble, Foster just kind of floated a yard past the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped and was looking for someone to block. The person he was supposed to block absolutely killed Williams on his blind side.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

the ol is to blame for letting rushers through like turnstiles no doubt, but holding on to the football is not williams' strongest skill. this isn't something new - 7 fumbles, 5 lost.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

Thoughts from Saturday:

We lost to NMST by 40 last year...they're better than they were last year...and we only lost by 10. That is a little encouraging.

Offense
The offense has been more creative in the past 2 weeks, than we have seen under Withers and definitely under Fran. Anthony Smith had some pretty impressive runs. Haydel and Twyford are starting to get more reps and look more comfortable in the offense. Both look athletic though. I'm not sure the offensive line is completely responsible for some of those hits/sacks/strips on Williams...I don't he called the right protection.

Defense
The defensive line is struggling to get pressure and the safeties are getting exposed because of it. If we were good in either of those positions, we would have won on Saturday, but we're struggling in both. Luckily we have highly rated recruits and promising freshman in both positions.

I don't recall seeing Morbley on the sidelines on Saturday. I also don't recall seeing Jeff Banks.

Crowd was pitiful. There were a lot of sponsored homecoming celebrations in Lot 1 that kept going through the entire game...no attempt to go into the stadium...not cool, especially since the events were sponsored.

TXST needs to partner with Wurstfest to offer discounts on the Saturday which overlap. There were a million TXST hats/shirts at Wurstfest on Saturday night.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I like your enthusiasm, but enticing the casual fan to come see a two-win football team is a tough row to hoe.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'll say this though... It's more entertaining to watch this team (and painful) than it was to watch Fran's 6 or 7 year seasons.

It was only tolerable because we won as much or more than we lost (to me).

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
I also don't recall seeing Jeff Banks.

he's been injured for a couple of weeks.
Quote:
Banks sat out the last three games due to a concussion and it is unclear if he will be available November 11 against Georgia State.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
the ol is to blame for letting rushers through like turnstiles no doubt, but holding on to the football is not williams' strongest skill. this isn't something new - 7 fumbles, 5 lost.

I would love to see the stats on how many times he's been hit. We've allowed 30 sacks. Only 4 teams in the country have allowed more. People love to bash him for not holding onto the football (and I get that), but I would bet his fumble percentage is on par with other QBs... he's just getting hammered far more often.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 am
True Bobcat Fan

agree that those would be interesting numbers to look at. just watching the games though, the dude carries the ball like a loaf of bread. the wyoming game where the defender simply took the ball out of his hands and ran in for a td is a perfect example.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I'll say this though... It's more entertaining to watch this team (and painful) than it was to watch Fran's 6 or 7 year seasons.

Yes! The W-L column may be similar to the Fran era but watching this team vs that same team with the similar record is vastly different. It's tough explaining this to my wife when she badgers me for watching these games. She tells me, "different coach, same results. Whats the excuse now?" and I have tell her it's just different.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:

Yes! The W-L column may be similar to the Fran era but watching this team vs that same team with the similar record is vastly different. It's tough explaining this to my wife when she badgers me for watching these games. She tells me, "different coach, same results. Whats the excuse now?" and I have tell her it's just different.

You're married to Taxman?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Gato hasn't noted a vendetta that his wife has against Withers, so I think it's a different chick.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Damn bruh, your old lady ice cold.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Fran teams were like watching paint dry. Painfully boring. At least we played NMSU much better this year. I expect 4 -5 wins next year and then 6+ in 2019.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next