Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17*** 
SuperCat

Post Re: ***GameDay Thread VS NMSU '17***
Bobcat87 wrote:
txstlinds wrote:
Astros did scorched earth. Three 100+ losing seasons in a row. Sometimes it takes time to do it right.

Patchwork bad money on bad money didn't for many years in Houston.

Really? You gonna use The Astros as an analogy for the supposed resurrection of Bobcat Football?

First, Re: The Astros . . . Everyone in that Organization Top (Jim Crane the owner) to Bottom was committed to their rebuild plan. . . You gonna honestly tell me that we have that kind of commitment in San Marcos? Hell, Larry didn't even want EW . .

Next, LT ain't no Jeff Luhnow and EW ain't no AJ Hinch

Now, I get what you're trying to say, but to make a comparison between an organization that Top to bottom was committed to a rebuild plan with another organization largely going through the motions is a false equivalency.

Eh. I think Trauth or maybe the BOR would be Jim Crane in this analogy and larry as maybe Reid ryan. And what exactly do you mean the upper level isn't committed to winning? Like upgrading facilities and expanding the stadium? Getting games on tv? And larry might be worthless, but he doesn't appear to be getting in the way of letting EW do what he thinks is best. Seems like a pretty good analogy to me.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:59 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat87 wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
Bobcat87 wrote:
Man, some of y'all have some low freakin' expectations . . .

Next year is year 3, and you're lookin' for 4-5 wins . . . Are you freakin kiddin' me?

By year 3, he needs to be at a minimum 6 wins . . . and I'd remind you that's only winning at a .500 clip . . half your freakin' games .. . in one of the weakest FBS conferences . .

This guy came to San Marcos and said that "fan" is short for fanatic, that we shouldn't be patient, as he wouldn't be either. I say take him at his word . ..

Winning at at least a .500 clip in year 3 is NOT unreasonable, and if he can't do that, he needs to move in next door to Franny in Marble Falls . .

And don't start with the "Where he started from crap." That's on EW. . . He chose to go scorched earth.

Not going to tell you to change your expectations or that you are wrong for it, but prepare to be disappointed and angry. That would be my advice.

Also, while I don't think you'll be alone in your statement, I think you'll be in the vast minority on it.

Now you're response actually made me laugh . . .

. . it was the part where you said: "... but prepare to be disappointed and angry." Funny stuff there . . . Hate to point out the obvious, but it's BOBCAT football, 7 winning seasons since 1985 . . a program that consistently invents new ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory . . .

. . . All I am, following this program, is disappointed and angry . . . Kinda comes with the territory.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but EW came in and signed a 4 year deal, which most here seem to be cool with his being under .500 for 3 of those years . . . That should piss off more than just me . . .

What are ellipses?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am
True Bobcat Fan

Not sure if serious.

Plural of ellipsis.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat87 wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong

you're wrong. lots. but in particular, withers signed a 5 year deal and you have no fucking clue what ellipses are for.

Oh, that's right . . . I keep forgetting that the only poster here who is always right is YOU . .

BWAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get the F over yourself . . .

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

We've lost 87. He's finally snapped. Matter of time I suppose.

Next step after the anger phase is acceptance. He's got another 2 years or so of the anger phase though.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

asks for correction, gets pissed when corrected. par for the course.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat87 wrote:
txstlinds wrote:
Astros did scorched earth. Three 100+ losing seasons in a row. Sometimes it takes time to do it right.

Patchwork bad money on bad money didn't for many years in Houston.

Really? You gonna use The Astros as an analogy for the supposed resurrection of Bobcat Football?

First, Re: The Astros . . . Everyone in that Organization Top (Jim Crane the owner) to Bottom was committed to their rebuild plan. . . You gonna honestly tell me that we have that kind of commitment in San Marcos? Hell, Larry didn't even want EW . .

Next, LT ain't no Jeff Luhnow and EW ain't no AJ Hinch

Now, I get what you're trying to say, but to make a comparison between an organization that Top to bottom was committed to a rebuild plan with another organization largely going through the motions is a false equivalency.

You're fucking killing me man. First you accuse most of the faithful here of having low expectations. Then, when supplied with a similar strategy (rebuilding for prolonged success rather than possible short-term W/L gains) through analogy, you highlight the obstacles in having higher expectations. Saul's right, Withers would be more akin to Luhnow and Hinch. The fact that you pointed out LT and the lack of commitment in San Marcos should have clued you in that expectations shouldn't be that high right now under the circumstances.

You also pointed out that Bobcat football has had 7 winning season since 1985. We're all disappointed and angry about past performance. We all want things to be at the point where we DO have higher expectations. However, to disregard all context in the current situation and how the scorched earth strategy is vastly different than anything we've experienced, is to be nothing but a loud blowhard.

Of course you probably already know this and are just being an asshole.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat87 wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but EW came in and signed a 4 year deal, which most here seem to be cool with his being under .500 for 3 of those years . . . That should piss off more than just me . . .

I think he signed a 5 year deal, but that's really not the point.

The reason I said what I said is the following:
- This school (and Teis specifically) won't pay the buyout on a contract for multi-years. I think the best you can hope for is buying out the last year of his contract. And until donations improve, that doesn't seem to be changing. Of course, how's the best way to increase donations? Wins. So it's a chicken/egg thing.

- Nobody is cool with being under .500 for the first three years of his contract, but they are being realistic. Regardless of anyone's stance on Withers' approach, he DID blow up the roster. We didn't have enough players on the lines to play a spring game. That is not a one or two year fix. It just isn't, regardless of how much I or anyone else wants it to be.

- And I also recognize year 1 was a throwaway year that Withers just didn't care how we performed. I would imagine that he didn't want to start Jones at all that year at QB, and he just didn't have a freshman QB to get started with yet.

I get the frustration, I do. I think I've probably been following Bobcat football as long as you. It's PAINFUL. It's FRUSTRATING.

That's why I said I wouldn't try to change your mind. Because I get it. I had similar feelings during the Fran era (particularly years 3 & 4, because I thought we had a team that could win the conference and the coaching was holding us back).

But I look at Withers, and I like what I see in recruiting. I like that I see progress in the team, even though I admit... it could be me just seeing what I want to see. I like what I see in gameplans, where the games are fun to watch (or as fun as they can be when we lose).

To me, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I can see a point in the near future that we are winning more than we are losing.

It's possible I'm deluding myself and that light is actually a train coming to run me over, but for now, I will be optimistic.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Eh. I think Trauth or maybe the BOR would be Jim Crane in this analogy and larry as maybe Reid ryan. And what exactly do you mean the upper level isn't committed to winning? Like upgrading facilities and expanding the stadium? Getting games on tv? And larry might be worthless, but he doesn't appear to be getting in the way of letting EW do what he thinks is best. Seems like a pretty good analogy to me.

Teis is the MOST hands off kinda guy I've seen in regards to the coaching (or at least, that is what it looks like on the outside).

That's both a good and a bad thing. If Teis has an eye for talent and hires good coaches to do their thing? It's an AWESOME thing. If Teis doesn't have an eye for talent or looks only at his rolodex for retreads? It's absolutely horrible.

It's one of the reasons I liked the Withers hire. He wasn't in Teis' rolodex.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8