Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Thurman Morbley off team 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14205
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
Ok, then... Similar scenario, except...

The kid is an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzales type... Basketball/football player.

who gets the scholarship hit?

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4860
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
i think football always trumps.

edit: yup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... t_athletes

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 546
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
What happens if all of the allotted football scholarships are accounted for? Scholarship has to go to other sport right?


Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4860
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
then he's paying for school himself.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 546
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
That's a shame. So basically if you discipline some fuck heads on free ride and send them packing because of assault drugs robbery etc you can't automatically fill the scholarship spot with a more deserving kid. And if you are academically/ athletically gifted then you have to always cash in on football scholarship and not in any other sport. NCAA has removed any avenue you can take to grow your 85 scholarships. Coach and Program get punished for practicing accountability.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4860
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
yes - the ncaa has made it so that schools can't stash football players in other sports. that's a good thing, most especially for schools like us. think about what our talent level would be like if the schools in our recruiting area could take 10 more players off the board, each. ut, tamu, tech, baylor, tcu, houston, ou, okst, lsu - all taking 95 players instead of 85. we would be lucky to get a single 3* athlete in each class, and so would utsa, unt, utep and rice.

not really sure how that equates to a coach and program being punished for accountability. same rules for every program - we're the ones who screwed up. if fran had recruited better and held his players accountable from day 1, we wouldn't be where we are today. that's on us, and no one else. remember that the vast majority of the guys who left this program over the past 2 years were literally jags - they offered nothing of value but bodies for practice.

think about it from this angle (not being able to immediately re-use a scholarship): if a coach could pull a kid's scholarship in the middle of a season and give it to another player, that would be a pretty crappy situation, no? that's why the rule is what it is.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14205
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
I don't like the rule, but totally understand it's need.

Not having it would end up causing schools to use this loophole for "other than intended" ideas. But at the same time, it takes away the ability of a track kid who might want to try his hand at football won't get the shot.

So it sucks, but it's needed.

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4860
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
TheRevSWT wrote:
But at the same time, it takes away the ability of a track kid who might want to try his hand at football won't get the shot.

how so? he can still play football, it just has to be on football's tab, that's all.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
TheRevSWT wrote:
Ok, then... Similar scenario, except...

The kid is an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzales type... Basketball/football player.

who gets the scholarship hit?


Say Train A has a football player on it and Train B has a basketball player on it. If both leave at the same time but one is missing a wheel, who would get the scholarship?


Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 546
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
Saul Goodman wrote:
yes - the ncaa has made it so that schools can't stash football players in other sports. that's a good thing, most especially for schools like us. think about what our talent level would be like if the schools in our recruiting area could take 10 more players off the board, each. ut, tamu, tech, baylor, tcu, houston, ou, okst, lsu - all taking 95 players instead of 85. we would be lucky to get a single 3* athlete in each class, and so would utsa, unt, utep and rice.

not really sure how that equates to a coach and program being punished for accountability. same rules for every program - we're the ones who screwed up. if fran had recruited better and held his players accountable from day 1, we wouldn't be where we are today. that's on us, and no one else. remember that the vast majority of the guys who left this program over the past 2 years were literally jags - they offered nothing of value but bodies for practice.

think about it from this angle (not being able to immediately re-use a scholarship): if a coach could pull a kid's scholarship in the middle of a season and give it to another player, that would be a pretty crappy situation, no? that's why the rule is what it is.


I wasn't seeing the entire picture. That makes sense now.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14205
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
Saul Goodman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
But at the same time, it takes away the ability of a track kid who might want to try his hand at football won't get the shot.

how so? he can still play football, it just has to be on football's tab, that's all.


I say it sucks, because a raw kid that is already on schollie will have immense difficulty in having a ship spent on him for something that might never materialize.

Would the football coaches want to invest time and energy into a guy that can run fast, but that's it, or use it on a 2 star kid that can still develop, but not needing so much focus?

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am
Posts: 117
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
Probably missed it in this thread but saw Keff's tweet tutt was involved too. Really sucks. Wanted to see him play here the next few years.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm
Posts: 18
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
Bad news guys just got word today of some more dismissals..


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
SWTBobhorns wrote:
Bad news guys just got word today of some more dismissals..


Your info has been 100% correct...so you have me intrigued. Who would this week's victims be?


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Profile
Online
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm
Posts: 324
Reply with quote
Post Re: Thurman Morbley off team
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group