Georga Southern 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Georga Southern
relieved head coach Summers of his coaching duties. He was in his second year f a four yeat contract. After 18 games he was 5-13 and 0-6 this year.
Better record than Withers. Oh, I forget, there were so many problem kids on the team that he had to tear it down to establish a new culture.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Georga Southern
jfc. he took over a team that went 9-3, 9-4 w/ a bowl win because the previous coach was hired away. withers took over a team that was 3-9 and the coach quit because his team hated him.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Ummmm..... He "retired".... ThankYouVeryMuch

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
jfc. he took over a team that went 9-3, 9-4 w/ a bowl win because the previous coach was hired away. withers took over a team that was 3-9 and the coach quit because his team hated him.

What Saul! You mean this coach is not in the same situation? Huh... guess others like to forget those things. :lol:

Some funny stuff though!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So Georgia Southern ends the "Tyson Summers" experiment . . . gives him his walking papers . . cans him . .
Says: "Hey, Tyson . . You're Fired !"

I won't compare this situation to Withers . . .

But I will say, It's funny how some schools, yeah even G-5's, won't tolerate a loser . .

. . while "other" (insert TX ST for other) will tolerate losing coaches ad nauseum . .

Not a comment on Withers . . yet . . . merely an observation about Athletic Practices on The Hill.

And please spare me the "But we have to tolerate it, cause we're hat-in-hand poor."

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 pm
SuperCat

How much was left on his contract? Buyout?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

He was fired in the second year of a four year contract. . . .

I have no information re: buyout .. . Don't know if there were buyout conditions in his contract, or if that's something he and the University are in discussions over . .

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am
SuperCat

Looks like $900,000 for the buyout.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/2017-10-22/georgia-southern-fires-football-coach/

And Withers' situation isn't even close to being what summers started with.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Perennial winner that is 0-6. They just lost to a no-win UMass.

Huge difference between taking over a good program and killing it vs. taking over a bad program & working on a rebuild.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Summers found a way to fuck up a great inherited situation, and he skillfully alienated the fan base & donors in rather spectacular fashion. He struck me as in over his head.

We've never had the luxury of having a program built up to success, so we've never had the opportunity to fire a coach for fucking up such a situation. I would love to have that opportunity here, as it would mean we actually achieved some level of sustained success to the point fans actually care enough to successfully cause change.

I will say this... Summers wasn't wrong in seeing a flaw in being one-dimensional as a triple option--he just went about changing it in the wrong way. It really just needed to be augmented with some further use of pass option to build upon their success. His defense shitting the bed didn't help things either.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

CatMom wrote:
taking over a bad program & working on a rebuild

it can only be considered a 'rebuild' if withers ever builds anything. in this moment, throughout the course of the last ~22 months since he made landfall in SM we cannot yet confirm whether or not he has actually built anything tangible. "good will", "warm fuzzies", "hoo-rahs", "good grades/S+ conduct" doesn't count. for that reason i'll hold off calling his situation a rebuild until the time ooc starts in 2018. the jury is very much still in on withers and whether or not he just blew the construction up and laid a foundation or he truly is the great architect and carpenter that he he claimed to be.

until he actually rebuilds anything he is merely just a demolition man. tnt-- he's dynamite! tnt watch our 1-11 finish explode!!

FTR we are 10 point dogs to the only fbs team that everyone thought we had a good chance to beat preseason. FYI they aren’t even a full fbs team they’re still in transition and not bowl eligible.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
CatMom wrote:
taking over a bad program & working on a rebuild

it can only be considered a 'rebuild' if withers ever builds anything. in this moment, throughout the course of the last ~22 months since he made landfall in SM we cannot yet confirm whether or not he has actually built anything tangible. "good will", "warm fuzzies", "hoo-rahs", "good grades/S+ conduct" doesn't count. for that reason i'll hold off calling his situation a rebuild until the time ooc starts in 2018. the jury is very much still in on withers and whether or not he just blew the construction up and laid a foundation or he truly is the great architect and carpenter that he he claimed to be.

until he actually rebuilds anything he is merely just a demolition man. tnt-- he's dynamite! tnt watch our 1-11 finish explode!!

FTR we are 10 point dogs to the only fbs team that everyone thought we had a good chance to beat preseason. FYI they aren’t even a full fbs team they’re still in transition and not bowl eligible.

The fun part is we have the same number of players on scholarships. They can go to a bowl btw. If they have 6 wins and they need a warm body they are allowed to be selected.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm