Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 ULL Game Thread (in case El Gato is MIA)...... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: ULL Game Thread (in case El Gato is MIA)......
tx.state wrote:
Jones played well last night but dont act like he looked like a starter at the beginning of the year. I seem to remember that he fumbled the ball 2 out of the first 3 times he touched it...correct me if I'm wrong.

And Williams has fumbled 4 times in actual games, your point on that?

And yes, WJIII has looked the best out of all QB's on roster from the day he stepped on campus. For the life of me, I couldn't see why we didn't go with him out of the gate against an "easy" opponent like HBU.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am
True Bobcat Fan

I have seen enough to know that Williams doesn't give us the best chance to win games for the rest of the season.

Jones has much more upside. I think he can help "hide" some of our other offensive weaknesses...

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
For the life of me, I couldn't see why we didn't go with him out of the gate against an "easy" opponent like HBU.

Because coaches avoid throwing a freshman into the fire like the plague. The typical freshman QB, even an acclaimed P5 4* recruit, is going to be hyperventilating that first game. It takes A LOT of maturity. It is only in recent years that starting a true freshman at QB became truly viable, mostly the result of year-round training at earlier ages (7-on-7 programs, private QB coaches becoming more prevalent, QBs specializing in high school rather than multisport, etc.).

You've got a somebody that is going through the jarring reality of entering college, likely away from home, adjustments to the speed of the college game, learning playbooks, learning coaches, etc. And you've got to give a coach time to actually assess whether a freshman is game-ready at QB in those few early weeks of camp. It is probably easier if they can get a freshman QB as an early spring enrollment, which gives them a whole semester of getting used to classes, gets them early looks in spring football, and early access to strength & conditioning. I don't remember if Jones enrolled early, but I think he did not.

I did find a nifty little tidbit on ESPN: According to ESPN Stats and Information, in the past five seasons only 13 true freshman quarterbacks at Power 5 programs ranked in the top 100 nationally in passing efficiency at the end of their debut season. Only three -- UCLA’s Josh Rosen (2015), Miami’s Brad Kaaya (2014) and Cal’s Jared Goff (2013) -- threw for 3,000 yards as true freshmen, while two others came close (Washington’s Jake Browning this past season and Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg in 2013 each passed for 2,955 yards).

Sorry... no similar stats for the rest of the conferences without me having to do the heavy lifting myself.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13