Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 ULL Game Thread (in case El Gato is MIA)...... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: ULL Game Thread (in case El Gato is MIA)......
txstlinds wrote:
With young guys getting experience and strong recruiting the next few years are going to be interesting.

if there's any talent on the ol besides brewer, then 2019 is going to be our big year, because it will be ALL upperclassmen.

tonight's starters: tfr - rso - tfr - rsf - rjr

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
txstlinds wrote:
With young guys getting experience and strong recruiting the next few years are going to be interesting.

if there's any talent on the ol besides brewer, then 2019 is going to be our big year, because it will be ALL upperclassmen.

This is what i keep thinking. Next year and more so 2019 will have teams filled with "his" players. He needs to get a better offensive coaching staff. Elliott may not have been great, but losing him kind of sucked simply for continuity.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Also need a full roster of schollie players. Got to add some numbers.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
txstlinds wrote:

I'm hoping it's more like App State's first year... They were bad, then good, then really good.

So... given last year is pretty much forgotten, I am hoping this is our bad year, next year we are good, then REALLY good in 2019.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
He needs to get a better offensive coaching staff.

the play calls looked a hell of a lot better w/ a competent qb tonight. have to think they get even better if we can ever get the ol to something close to mediocre.
LSU Bobcat wrote:
Elliott may not have been great, but losing him kind of sucked simply for continuity.

by that measure, keeping fleming/kuhr for a couple of years would work too, no?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
LSU Bobcat wrote:
He needs to get a better offensive coaching staff.

the play calls looked a hell of a lot better w/ a competent qb tonight. have to think they get even better if we can ever get the ol to something close to mediocre.
LSU Bobcat wrote:
Elliott may not have been great, but losing him kind of sucked simply for continuity.

by that measure, keeping fleming/kuhr for a couple of years would work too, no?

Didn't get to see much of the second half so can't comment on that. But we scored 7 points against one of the worst defenses in the country. TO's didn't help. But I'm ok with cutting them loose and bringing in a new group for 2 years.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm
Junior Bobcat

And just checked, we're 125th in scoring offense. Avg 14 points a game. That's just awful.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 pm
Junior Bobcat

WJ3 brings some optimism. Has too long of a wind-up and and made some awful decisions but he's an athlete with a lot of potential.

OL needs some help. Not having either Juco from the last class is unfortunate. A young group but hopefully a Juco gets added to help next year.

Defense played well. Seeing 92 on the other side makes we wish we had a guy like that on the DL. Maybe Patton is that guy down the road.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

WJ3 had some really nice pass completions, especially that 50 yard pass that looked like it fell out of the sky into the hands of the receiver. He made some mistakes but if he can stop doing that, he could become a really good QB. Need to use the bye week to work on the red zone and short yardage plays. At least we won't lose next weekend.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
And just checked, we're 125th in scoring offense. Avg 14 points a game. That's just awful.

of course it is. what do you expect?

you understand what our personnel is, yes? how do you be blame the coaching when this is what they have to work with? is popovich a terrible coach because the warriors swept the spurs in the playoffs or do you understand the talent disparity between the teams and the injuries that widened that gap? is rick carlisle crap because the mavs haven't been competitive the last 5 years, or does he not have the roster to contend?

if you understand what our roster is today, then i don't understand how you can blame the coaching. you know that we are outmanned in every (fbs) game, so why would you expect better than what you're seeing?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
LSU Bobcat wrote:

of course it is. what do you expect?

you understand what our personnel is, yes? how do you be blame the coaching when this is what they have to work with? is popovich a terrible coach because the warriors swept the spurs in the playoffs or do you understand the talent disparity between the teams and the injuries that widened that gap? is rick carlisle crap because the mavs haven't been competitive the last 5 years, or does he not have the roster to contend?

if you understand what our roster is today, then i don't understand how you can blame the coaching. you know that we are outmanned in every (fbs) game, so why would you expect better than what you're seeing?

Do you think a mike leach coached offense could score more points than 14 per game? You have to use what you have. We have young personnel, that doesn't mean they can't be fairly successful. I just watched a way less talented Troy team put LSU down a couple weeks ago. Did they beat us because they're more talented? By your reasoning, yes. Don't be a dumbass, we should be scoring more than 14 fucking points a game.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I feel you, Saul. I'm trying very hard to maintain patience despite us sitting on 25 years of "rebuilding." We've got a major personnel disparity right now that can eventually be overcome, but I'm so weary of watching a dumpster fire of a program. That isn't necessarily on Withers--I'm just exhausted from essentially six failed coaches. We only consider Bailiff successful because he was preceded by such an awful stretch, with the snake oil salesman as the explanation point in 2003.

We have a VERY young line, which is what is killing us. We should be bad on offense given that fact, but THIS bad? You don't get to #125 scoring offense by personnel disparity alone.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 am
Junior Bobcat

bleed gold wrote:
I feel you, Saul. I'm trying very hard to maintain patience despite us sitting on 25 years of "rebuilding." We've got a major personnel disparity right now that can eventually be overcome, but I'm so weary of watching a dumpster fire of a program. That isn't necessarily on Withers--I'm just exhausted from essentially six failed coaches. We only consider Bailiff successful because he was preceded by such an awful stretch, with the snake oil salesman as the explanation point in 2003.

We have a VERY young line, which is what is killing us. We should be bad on offense given that fact, but THIS bad? You don't get to #125 scoring offense by personnel disparity alone.

Exactly how I feel. Look at the defense. They're playing pretty damn good football. It's not like they're any more talented than the offense.

I think withers is doing it the right way compared to Fran. Fran got some early success due to some JUCO recruiting. And thanks to that we're where we're at now. Withers has been recruiting the high kids pretty damn well. He just needs to get a better staff in place.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am
SuperCat

Outside of the secondary, the defense is much more talented than the offense. Both sides of the ball are inexperienced but that typically impacts an offense more than a defense because it requires cohesion.

As far as the 6 straight failures at HC. Sounds to me like we are either making poor hires, not supporting our hires as an AD, or (most likely) both. I support Withers and will continue to do so until at least next year. The guy took over a dumpster fire - there are no quick fixes. Even if there were, I wouldn't want it. I want a ground up overhaul of the program that will leave us in a better place when the coach leaves for a bigger school.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 am
Junior Bobcat

LT Spider wrote:
Outside of the secondary, the defense is much more talented than the offense. Both sides of the ball are inexperienced but that typically impacts an offense more than a defense because it requires cohesion.

LB is the most talented group on the team. Dline and DB's are on the same level as the offense. Partially due to injuries.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next