Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Accountability 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Accountability
SATXST wrote:
Been lurking on this board since 2010

then you have all the information you need to make an informed decision, so why did you make this thread?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SATXST, I think what Saul is trying to say is when you lose what... half (probably more, I'm not looking it up) last season to attrition, whether by his own hand or by their refusal to fit in, you're gonna struggle for a couple of years in the growing. Particularly when you have what? 3 weeks to get your first recruiting class together.

Now, tempered with that is that we had a really good recruiting class this year, and those guys as well as some from last year are getting quality reps now to have them better prepared for next season.

Also, and I say this without trying to be a prick (though sometimes I do enjoy it), what were the expectations for this season? I think I was the most optimistic of the bunch here saying I was thinking 5 games.

I get the frustration. I've been experiencing it for a while. Like 87 commented, we have 7 winning seasons in the past... 30 years, I want to say. We have some problems that extend far beyond a coach, sadly.

To me, the questions that should be asked is how can Teis remain here with the production in his time here has been abysmal. He has built up some venues, but those all came from the student fees and bonds, not from donations. I think most programs have either stayed the same or regressed except for basketball during his time (I have no doubt if that's incorrect, someone will point it out to me).

Basically, I don't think this is all Withers' fault. I think the problem is bigger than him, and he hasn't been here long enough to change all the things that ills JUST the football program.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SATXST wrote:
Keff or any reporter that's reading this, please ask some questions to withers that hold him accountable for this crap product on the field. Instead of general blanket questions a middle schooler can come up with like "what does this team need to do to beat ULL on a short week after this loss?" How about some in depth detailed football questions explaining why we suck every week and haven't been competitive. All I've heard after every post game conference are softball questions. Don't be afraid to question his actions. It's your job.

Good luck with that. Last season, I was the only one who asked the tough questions. Now it's sad to watch the press conferences because no one will ask about adjustments, downward program trajectory, lack of offensive output for two seasons in a row, etc etc etc. I actually respected Withers for his answers, because he knew how to dance around them like a seasoned coach.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Saul, I made this thread hoping some of these beat writers would hold these coaches/admin accountable if not ask more pressing questions instead of more of the same complacent questions. I listen to every post game conference and weekly conference and haven't seen it. Just don't see the accountability there. ( If you re-read my original post I think you'll find your answer.
As far as expectations I think it's fair to say we all know this team is rebuilding. No one reasonably expected a bowl season but you aren't asking much to be COMPETITIVE especially against sun belt teams. That's why they call it the "funbelt" because any team can usually hang with another conference team. Except txst. Can't even hang with mediocre sunbelt teams.
These aren't hard questions to ask. Someone just needs to have the balls to ask them .

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
SATXST wrote:
Keff or any reporter that's reading this, please ask some questions to withers that hold him accountable for this crap product on the field.

how about you have a clue as to what's out there first.

you whiny motherfuckers who don't pay attention to recruiting, attrition, or injuries and bitch about the end result are the absolute worst. if you can't watch this team and see where we're headed, regardless of win/loss this year, you should stop watching altogether.

You have zero clue if you paid attention to those same factors you mentioned and still can't see we are headed nowhere. Perhaps you should stop posting all together. People that have been around the program a lot longer than you have can see that the product on the field right now is the worst we've had since the Matsakis days (google that team since you're probably too inexperienced in Bobcat athletics to even know about that one). :twisted: :twisted:

Last edited by Bobcat.taxman on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LOL

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SATXST wrote:
These aren't hard questions to ask. Someone just needs to have the balls to ask them .

Last season, when I asked about the run game being 128th in the nation, Withers' only answer was "we're going to recruit better". I knew that wasn't the issue because (and you can fact check me on this) going back to Anthony Taylor's Freshman year I told people he was one of our best RB's on the roster. He's been our most productive starter this year.

Having Mayberry as starter last year was one indication of bad coaching, because he was more of a change of pace/slot receiver/swing out RB. That's why he was fourth in the totem pole under Fran. Withers made him the starter. It's small details like that which people can't comprehend unless you've been to countless practices and games in person.

It's one thing to know football, it's a whole other to know Bobcat football as a team.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 pm
SuperCat

All this talk begs the question------are we improving, and program headed in that direction?(Do we need to hit bottom first?) I know I'm not the most informed poster, and I know injuries and other stuff can ruin seasons. When is a reasonable time to see improvement/a few more wins?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:25 am
SuperCat

We can't be rebuilding every year or other year can we?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:26 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:

This is such a bad thing to say... But yes!

We get Matsakis and he starts rebuilding... Unfortunately, he sucked as a coach and also broke about every rule you can... So he's gone.

We get Bailiff... He does decent, but with mostly Matsakis' players. He doesn't really recruit for the long term, and ends up bailiffing (ha!) for Rice.

We get Wright... He has to rebuild the talent level that wasn't replaced by the senior laden team that was in 2005. He does so, but again, with NO eye for the future... So he gets canned.

We get Fran. Fran has a bare cupboard, and has to basically start from scratch. He too seemed to be building for an upperclassmen laden team in 2015. Unfortunately, everyone and their dog got hurt, and by that time, he lost the players.

We bring in Withers. He inherits a team weak already, and runs off the rest (whether that's a good thing or not is moot. That's what he did, and Teis let it happen, so it's done). Now, we have his first true recruiting class, and looking at the second this year.

So I don't even know if it's continually rebuilding or just trying to build for the first time.

We have had bad hires, got decent coaches bought out from under us, and really... Just haven't gotten it right yet.

I don't know how other programs operate, but it really seems like our coaches are trying for that one magical season to get scooped up elsewhere or retire. We need someone who is constantly adding new pieces that will fit in later. But for any coach to get there... He's gotta get the pieces for the now first.

TL:DR I dislike Teis, and we've had over a decade of suck. But I am still hopeful about Withers.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I will say, I respect Withers for his press conference yesterday because he personally took responsibility for the loss. However, he kept saying it was his fault the defense wasn't ready to play, but in reality it is the lack of offensive continuity that is killing us in games. The defense can only hold for so long when they are constantly on the field.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:

I agree with a lot of what Rev wrote, but only caveat I will add is that most of the time we are rebuilding because of the coaches themselves. The reason why Bailiff was successful was because he took what Matsakis left behind and built on it.

What was Wright, Franchione and possibly Withers undoing is that they all "cleaned house" and wanted to start their own culture and brand. A smart CEO/Coach does what Bailiff did, use the pieces in place (no matter how difficult to work with they may be) while you bring in your own players.

Example:

Bailiff took Barrick Nealy and structured the offense around him. Success. A best season of 11-3.

Wright took Bradley George and build his offense around him, had 7-5 and 8-5 seasons.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran didn't clean house... The house was empty when he was hired.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
SATXST wrote:
Keff or any reporter that's reading this, please ask some questions to withers that hold him accountable for this crap product on the field.

how about you have a clue as to what's out there first.

you whiny motherfuckers who don't pay attention to recruiting, attrition, or injuries and bitch about the end result are the absolute worst. if you can't watch this team and see where we're headed, regardless of win/loss this year, you should stop watching altogether.

Totally agree Saul. The complaining was all set up a few days ago when some were already saying we "should win this game". I was hopeful but knew we have too many weaknesses still to fix from inexperience to current starters not making plays.

I'll agree that the reporters are quite intimidated by Withers and some young lady asked/framed her question adequately and Withers even noted it was a good question. They do need to be more specific like what came into the decision to go for 2 instead of kick it? That was the worst call of the game in my opinion.

Now.. why is no one calling out Brown for dropping a screen pass that should have been 6? Great play call! Back to back passes dropped by Haydel and Watts on first series in 3rd quarter? OL penalties? Coaching can't help a RB or WR catch good passes in the game or OL not do something bad. Those things are on the players... not coaches. How about hold these players accountable for not putting us in 1st and 15? Some of the plays we had on 3rd and 14 we made up 11-12 yards. Players are making poor decisions and not executing. Things that happen with first year starters.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Wright by no means cleaned house and built a new culture. Bailiff brought in some decent recruits in '05/'06 and the roster actually looked pretty good during the first part of the Wright tenure. By 2010 it had turned into a mess though. You could say he pretty much coasted off the recruiting bump we had from getting to the semifinals of the FCS playoffs. To me Wright always looked like a guy who was looking for a couch to take a nap on during interviews.

Fran brought a new culture but probably the wrong one. Brought in FBS transfers and JUCO players. For every Mayo, Orakpo and Curry there were 8-10 guys who made sparse contributions and then they were done with eligibility or off the team before you knew it. The mantra was 'win now' with an instant roster and that probably sounded good to Teis. That's why we've got the absolute roster implosion that we've had the last 2 seasons. UTSA did it the right way. They took their lumps early during the first 3 seasons, recruited a bunch of 4 year lettermen, and now they're competing for bowls yearly. Right when Fran was hired I got the impression he'd treat it like a part time job..showing up for 4-5 months during camp + season and leaving the rest of the year to assistants and staff while he golfs in Horseshoe Bay.

With Withers I at least get the impression the staff is trying to build a consistent winner. Fran and Wright were just placeholders. I agree with many that this should be the last year Teis is here. The disaster that's occurring right now is directly attributable to his mismanagement of the program over the last 10 years cumulatively. Teis had one job to do and that's to keep the football and basketball programs' heads above water at all times and both of them have gotten to the point under his watch where they essentially had to undergo multi-year rebuilds. Look back over the last 10 years of 'name' coaching candidates that are at P5 programs now. We could have had any of them if we had a better athletic directorship...we could have had Tom Herman circa 2009-10 given his connection with the program.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next