Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 We're right about half way through the season 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: We're right about half way through the season
Now that's something I've yet to see this season with Withers... Us playing flat. That's one of the things I like about Withers' team.

Now, I have seen playcalling kind of "turtle up" a bit after a busted play or a turnover... But it does open back up afterwards.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 pm
SuperCat

Flat was an exaggeration. I just meant with less intensity than the first quarter. I feel like team plays hard and effort has never been an issue since withers took over.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
8 win expectation is full retard. You basically want him to have the best season in school history or else. My target for this year was 3ish wins. It will be for 5-6 wins next year with consistent improvement. We can talk 8 in the following year

8 is ridiculous? Dried up old Fran won 7 in his 3rd season as an FBS member, 14 points away from winning 3 more games that season. 3 plays away from 10 wins really. That season also featured non-conference games away at Tulsa Illinois and Navy at home with their crowd, not Rutgers TSU and NMSU like Withers gets next season. Also save your ignorant "retard" comments for someone who doesn't have a nephew in their family with down syndrome. I certainly wouldn't wish it upon you even with your ludacris comments.

LT Spider wrote:
We are 6 point dogs which points to a relatively even matchup

Even matchup? As of last week, in 18 redzone trips ULM has 16 TDs and 1 FG. In 16 trips, we have 4 TDs and 6 FGs. That means we basically have 66 points still left out on the table this season and they only have 11 points left out on the table. I assure you if you extend the scoring zone out to the 35 yard line our stats even more excruciating. Saturday alone we had 5 trips inside the 35 yard line that resulted in 10 points

Something else that won't bode well whether we are playing a CFB playoff contender, HBU or ULM is that we've given up somewhere between 6-7 TDs via special teams, pick 6 or scoop n score. That doesn't even consist of turnovers that eventually lead to points or punt of kickoff coverage that gave opposing team field position across midfield that eventually lead to points

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
8 win expectation is full retard. You basically want him to have the best season in school history or else. My target for this year was 3ish wins. It will be for 5-6 wins next year with consistent improvement. We can talk 8 in the following year

8 is ridiculous? To get to 8 we just have to beat Ga Southern, ULL, GSU, TSU, nmsu, USA, 1 game of either Rutgers/Troy/App/stAte and a bowl game against probably an average (MAC #3-7 team). Hell-- Troy and App are both in the East division so we could very well win the west with 5 or 6 conference wins next season giving us another chance at an 8th win. 14 games potentially? 8-6, why would that be a huge stretch of imagination in a 3rd year? Dried up old Fran won 7 in his 3rd season as an FBS member, 14 points away from winning 3 more games that season. 3 plays away from 10 wins really. That season also featured non-conference games away at Tulsa Illinois and Navy at home with their crowd, not Rutgers TSU and NMSU like Withers gets next season. Also save your ignorant "retard" comments for someone who doesn't have a nephew in their family with down syndrome. I certainly wouldn't wish it upon you even with your ludacris comments.

LT Spider wrote:
We are 6 point dogs which points to a relatively even matchup

Even matchup? As of last week, in 18 redzone trips ULM has 16 TDs and 1 FG. In 16 trips, we have 4 TDs and 6 FGs. That means we basically have 66 points still left out on the table this season and they only have 11 points left out on the table. That doesn't include plays where we were in the redzone and Williams takes a sack that he shouldn't have to take us out of redzone. In the Wyoming game I think we were on about like the 8 yd line and Williams had plenty of time and took a sack back to like the 21 that lead to another missed FG. I assure you if you extend the scoring zone out to the 35 yard line our stats even more excruciating. Saturday alone we had 5 trips inside the 35 yard line that resulted in 10 points

Something else that won't bode well whether we are playing a CFB playoff contender, HBU or ULM is that we've given up somewhere between 6-7 TDs via special teams, pick 6 or scoop n score. That doesn't even consist of turnovers that eventually lead to points or punt of kickoff coverage that gave opposing team field position across midfield that eventually lead to points

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 am
SuperCat

Well, by all means, bet the house on ULM since vegas put such a bad line up.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

lol at the lines vegas throws at us.forget covering spreads.we more than doubled the last points vegas gave us and just about tripled the game before that one

sure we covered CU spread by they also gave us way too many points as CU lost to ucla who had given up over 40 points/game. cu is not good, not even a little bit good by p5 standards

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 am
SuperCat

Sweet. You can pay for Withers buy out on your own after betting all of these bad lines against us. I'm not saying we are going to cover, Im just saying that if I had as much conviction as you I would be on a plane to vegas.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Let's be honest. Do you really think the University would buy-out any of EW's contract, even if he never wins another game?

The Bobcats football team hasn't ever been a consistent winner (pains me to say that). I think we all are foaming at the mouth for any nugget that points the needle in the direction that shows that times have changed!

Do I wish we had more wins, yes.

Does this team still play hard, yes.

I feel like we had to start over from scratch last season, almost like an expansion team. This will take a while to become consistent winners (remember we also have to overcome an inept AD and President who isn't 100% on board)

I want to win NOW, but reality says we are in for the long ride. My hope is that we can win a couple of conference games this season...

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

GMAN wrote:
Let's be honest. Do you really think the University would buy-out any of EW's contract, even if he never wins another game?

Barring a scandal (like Matsakis) or just a total collapse/revolt by the team, Withers will NOT be let go until he has at least 3 seasons under his belt.

And I agree with that.

And in general, I think there needs to be signs of improvement year over year to keep discussion of his removal at bay. To me? I've seen marked improvement from last season to this. I've seen players not quitting in games. I've watched what I think is a more exciting and entertaining product on the field. And I've seen the best recruiting class in the Sun Belt.

That points to me to things moving forward the way they should.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
GMAN wrote:

Barring a scandal (like Matsakis) or just a total collapse/revolt by the team, Withers will NOT be let go until he has at least 3 seasons under his belt.

And I agree with that.

And in general, I think there needs to be signs of improvement year over year to keep discussion of his removal at bay. To me? I've seen marked improvement from last season to this. I've seen players not quitting in games. I've watched what I think is a more exciting and entertaining product on the field. And I've seen the best recruiting class in the Sun Belt.

I know it's subjective, but which team have you been watching? The HBU game was like watching paint dry, the App St game we hardly had anything to cheer for and the UTSA game.....well, most of the sell out crowd left by halftime.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I know it's subjective, but which team have you been watching? The HBU game was like watching paint dry, the App St game we hardly had anything to cheer for and the UTSA game.....well, most of the sell out crowd left by halftime.

I throw out the HBU game, as it was an FCS team and we had a QB who hadn't taken snaps through most of camp.

I enjoyed watching the App St. game and while we showed like crap in the UTSA game, our team still played hard and were into the game (even though the team wasn't in the game after half).

I compare that to the Fran games when the second half gameplan was a carbon print of the first half, and when we started losing, we went into "keep it close" mode. I don't see that with Withers team.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
GMAN wrote:

And I agree with that.

I agree with Rev. You are looking at the final score as some sort of indicator or progress. Have you never followed a team that has done a complete rebuild? I am continually shocked at the expectations by some on this board. NEWS FLASH....WE SUCK!!! Last year was about installing a new culture. This year is all about development of individual units and strengthening that culture.

Things I have seen so far:
1. Improved run blocking by offensive line
2. Slightly improved pass blocking by offensive line
3. Very few penalties on offensive line for false starts, holds, etc.
4. Improved defensive line play
5. Improved pass rush
6. Overall approach is different

There are still A LOT of things to improve, but that's what Everett and his coaches are getting paid to do. I can't wait to watch a game where our cornerback will turn his head around during a pass play. I'd love to see our RB's pick up the additional pass rush. I'd like to see our secondary consistently tackle. I patiently wait though. Again, it's a process. Year 3 should start to wield some results...maybe 5 to 6 wins. Year 4...it's on. If Withers isn't producing in year 4, we will probably need a new coach. To judge him in season 1 like you did (despite you claiming otherwise) is ludicrous.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
To judge him in season 1 like you did (despite you claiming otherwise) is ludicrous.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. All it took was one practice to see exactly what a 3-14 record over two years indicates thus far.

By contrast, Fran was 10-14 by the end of his second year, including playing a full season FBS schedule with an 80% FCS roster.

Good use of the word ludicrous though.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

I compare that to the Fran games when the second half gameplan was a carbon print of the first half, and when we started losing, we went into "keep it close" mode. I don't see that with Withers team.

I would almost agree with you on that, except against Wyoming we were clearly in keep it close mode by the middle of the 3rd qtr when we went down 38-10. Wyoming helped us out by putting in their 2's also.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Comparisons with Fran's performance in 2013 and 2014 are difficult to make because of the drastic difference in SOS. Those schedules we played then were among the easiest in FBS and part of the reason there wasn't a bowl invite in both years. Toughest opponents in that stretch were Navy and Texas Tech and we played HBCUs. Just in the last 2 years we've played CU, UH, Arkansas, and a Wyoming team that's competitive in MWC.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next