Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 We're right about half way through the season 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: We're right about half way through the season
TheRevSWT wrote:
I think most everyone knew we had a VERY small chance of becoming bowl eligible, and thus far, with the exception of UTSA, we've lost to the folks we all kind of expected to lose to.

So, I'm not flipping out just yet. I do still hope/expect to see 2 more wins this season, and I don't think it's insane to think we can do that.

Next season? Hell, I don't know. Can't even begin to say, since we don't know who our QB is gonna be. Jones III looked not bad tonight, but he was playing against backups with a defense that was pretty much told "DO NOT GIVE UP THE Big PLAY! Keep everything in front of you".

At the end of the day, whether you put faith in Withers or not... He's not going anywhere after this season, and probably not next season either. So getting pissed isn't going to do anything other than get your blood pressure up. So, you just keep a hopeful eye for the rest of the season, and see if we can pull in another top SBC recruiting class to get that pair and a spare Withers keeps talking about.

I will say though... I am encouraged that I still haven't seen our team quit in a game, and that is something we didn't have during the Fran era.

Preach reverend! Amen!

I think the hardest thing about that game yesterday was not so much that we lost as I expected we would, but... the pick 6, the fumble for 6, the returned kick, the two trips inside the 10 yd line that resulted in 3 points. I mean flip those and you give the cats 11 points take away 21 from the Cowboys and it is a 24-14 Cowboys (assuming those 2 defensive TD's of theirs ended with Bobcat punts an not points although that would most definitely had made things interesting).

It's just hard and painful to watch. Again, we expected this...but knowing that expectation and facing that negative outcome is a totally different thing altogether. Glad to see most people here still get it and those calling for Withers head, well they have been doing it since day 1 and just feel even more justified for doing so after yesterday. Anger is understandable, but as I said in another post last week, that should be directed at Larry Teis as he is the true reason we are currently in this predicament.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
DiscoStu wrote:
there is absolutely nothing positive about this season so far.

if you truly believe that, you should stop watching sports altogether.

Disco stu youll have to be more specific which team you are talking about Saul thinks you are talking about his longhorns in which there were a few positive takeaways in that game against isu that they should have lost.well that was the lone positive takeaway they won when they should be 1-4. guaranteed Saul would be in a hissy fit frenzy if bevo was 1-4. guess its nice to claim 4-5 teams as your own like Saul to make getting through the fall more pleasant

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I had to shake my head in disbelieve again. We were down by a bunch. We ended up being six inches short on third down. It was obvious that Withers had not thought ahead about what he would do if we didn't make the first down. He farts around and finally has to call a time out. Then he pulls the team off of the field and tries a field goal. Seems like all of that should have been already decided .
Is it just me or does it seem like something of this nature happens in every game?
Is he trying to control every aspect of the game and not delegating? What's the deal?

We sure could use a kicker

I started the season with very low expectations. We are right on track.
Next season I will just have low expectations.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
LSU bobcat. Of course 8 wins numb nuts. 7 wins didn't get us into
a bowl. So why anything less for bowl eligibility. Plus our 2018 non conf is a joke compared to the last several.

Times have changed since 2014. 6 wins has been automatic the past two seasons. There have been 5 win teams in bowl games both of the last two seasons. We don't need 8 wins to make a bowl game numbnuts.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:57 am
SuperCat

Not going to bother starting another thread for game thoughts this week. I don't have much.

1. We have played good teams the last two weeks but it comes across as regression. It's hard to tell much when you are outmanned at most positions. Next week is a really big game for us and will give us much more information about where this team is.

2. We hung in there well in the beginning but we are still making way too many mistakes. Missing easy FGs and throwing a pick 6 opened things up for Wyoming and they never looked back. Without those we would have been in the game much longer. Unfortunately we keep making similar mistakes in big games over and over again.

3. I honestly don't know what to even think about our offense. We ran the ball 52 times in a game we were getting blown out in. We have serious personnel issues which makes play calling difficult but I can't figure out what we are trying to do. Based on Withers at JMU, I was hoping we would be able to be creative enough to overcome talent issues in the beginning.

4. We have really dumb fans. The average intelligence of CFB fans of all teams is low when it comes to coaching, but ours are really bad. People on FB/twitter/whatever that dont go to games, dont donate money but are calling for a coaches head less than half way through year two....and he has a five year contract. I keep saying the same thing but I will say it again. If you think we deserve a better football team than we currently have, you are absolutely wrong. If we had good attendance, more donors, and loyal support then I would say we deserve better. Of course if we had those things we probably wouldn't suck so bad.

5. I have said from the day Withers was hired that I would not question too much until year 3 and I will stick with that. Another lopsided loss on Saturday would be really hard to stomach and I think a lot of his supporters would start to question him more. He needs a good game. As far as next year, an 8 win expectation is full retard. You basically want him to have the best season in school history or else. My target for this year was 3ish wins. It will be for 5-6 wins next year with consistent improvement. We can talk 8 in the following year if things are going well.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
2. We hung in there well in the beginning but we are still making way too many mistakes. Missing easy FGs and throwing a pick 6 opened things up for Wyoming and they never looked back. Without those we would have been in the game much longer. Unfortunately we keep making similar mistakes in big games over and over again.

That pick 6 was a momentum killer, but damn... I can't put that on Williams. The WR had slipped and was on his ass when the INT was made. And the WR was a true frosh. I can't put that on Williams, and only BARELY put it on the WR.

It was a busted play that happened... So I can't hate on that too much.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:33 pm
SuperCat

Agree. Shit happens. It just seems to happen to us more in inopportune times more than most teams. We also don't have the players to recover as well yet.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
Agree. Shit happens. It just seems to happen to us more in inopportune times more than most teams. We also don't have the players to recover as well yet.

yes.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well... I've been somewhat distant over the last 2-3 weeks and that happens when you are getting married. I've only been able to see parts of games.

I was encouraged early on in season after CU and AP St. games but these last two games are discouraging to say the least.

Some things to consider when evaluating CU/AP St. vs. UTSA/Wyoming games:
1. QB play by opponents weren't as good for CU or AP. St. while UTSA and Wyoming didn't miss open WRs. Was this TXST defense or improved QB play? Who knows but it is important to note Sturm and Allen were returning (as was Ap. St. QB) and those two QBs showed it.

2. Losses of Hays or Morbley really matter when you go see their stats in receptions/yards compared to rest of team (King only other WR with double digit receptions). That alone is telling. Those are stat facts.

3. Defensive adjustments seem to have affected some chemistry. I'm not sure if its any one loss be it Davis for season or Anyama's injury but moving parts that aren't as comfortable in positions (Loyd to OLB vs. UTSA as example) affects chemistry and at times effectiveness. There is nothing that can be done with Davis out other than to make adjustments but I'm hoping Anyama is ready come this week having 3 weeks off; however, groin injuries are one of those tough ones to call (consider CB Taylor was out first 2 games when some hoped he be back by game 2).

Again, I haven't watched every game (only watched 1st 2 games then sporadically saw parts of games) so I can't say where we are; however, I'm not ready to say give up on season for improvements and able to pull out a few Ws. I sure hope WR Morbley and Johnson can get back sometime soon (next game or 2) but I'm not sure how bad their separated shoulders were.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I'll go way out on a limb and say we will never win more than 6 games with Withers at the helm.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Taxman...

Interesting that you are "going way out on a limb" there. I would have assumed that you would be quite confident that we wouldn't win 6 games under Withers.

:? :mrgreen:

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm
SuperCat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I'll go way out on a limb and say we will never win more than 6 games with Withers at the helm.

If we look like this in October of next year, I may start to draw the same conclusion. We still have no idea what his coaching looks like when he has a similar level of talent as his opponent on a weekly basis. Our first real look for this year will be Saturday. We are 6 point dogs which points to a relatively even matchup. A win would add some evidence that we are on the right track. A close loss doesn't provide much info. A large loss would be a really bad sign.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Why do they seem to have some success early on in games, inly to have it swing the other way to what seems epic failure?

Is it depth? Is it the opponent knowing how to counter with adjustments?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My perspective is that we have limited depth coupled with youth/inexperience. That is an unforgiving combo in FBS. This limits ability to adjust & counter-adjust. And part of that links back to a coach who was potentially overconfident in his abilities to compensate for such a circumstance. Good coaching can cover talent deficits, but only to a degree. There are some coaching errors occurring, but I don't think they are really affecting game score (i.e. Withers farting around on that 3rd down play & ultimately calling what I thought should have been an unnecessary timeout).

We've been smited pretty much how I expected thus far, so we don't have much takeaway at this point. ULM will be a much better barometer for how fucked we are continuing into the conference schedule.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm
SuperCat

I think another part of it is that we play hard/intense, especially at the beginning of games. Its hard to keep that level up for more than a quarter or two, especially when you are outmanned and the other team has more depth. One or two breaks go the other way and we start playing really flat.

Sustaining drives (and converting them to points) and avoiding turnovers will really help with confidence. Playing with upperclassmen the next couple of years will also help. I'm really hopeful for Saturday because this is a team that we can have success against. We should be able to move the ball and keep the energy level up.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next