We're right about half way through the season 
SuperCat

Post Re: We're right about half way through the season
Withers isn't going anywhere for at least 15 months and even that would be a stretch. All the bitching about him is such wasted keystrokes. Either they will look like a competitive team next year and his job will be safe or they wont and his seat will start warming up.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 pm
SuperCat

bobcathusband wrote:
Comparisons with Fran's performance in 2013 and 2014 are difficult to make because of the drastic difference in SOS. Those schedules we played then were among the easiest in FBS and part of the reason there wasn't a bowl invite in both years. Toughest opponents in that stretch were Navy and Texas Tech and we played HBCUs. Just in the last 2 years we've played CU, UH, Arkansas, and a Wyoming team that's competitive in MWC.

I'm one of the few that think Fran wasn't a bad hire considering everything going on with the program at the time so I'm not discrediting him. But, I think Withers may have had a tougher job. Its certainly up for debate but I agree with the personnel moves Withers made and trying to rebuild the culture. It was rock bottom talent/experience vs a pretty tough schedule right out of the gate. It still is. Fran got a chance to get off the ground against FCS teams his first year - losing to four of them.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
Withers isn't going anywhere for at least 15 months and even that would be a stretch. All the bitching about him is such wasted keystrokes. Either they will look like a competitive team next year and his job will be safe or they wont and his seat will start warming up.

While I 100% agree with what you say... I get the anger... There's nothing that will happen regardless of what happens for the first three years guys... But come on out and watch us anyway!

That's why I don't get mad at folks calling for his head. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:

While I 100% agree with what you say... I get the anger... There's nothing that will happen regardless of what happens for the first three years guys... But come on out and watch us anyway!

That's why I don't get mad at folks calling for his head. It's a tough pill to swallow.

It's almost to the point, as Bobcat fans, when something horrible happens on the field, we all get that 'Here we go again" feel. We say to ourselves, "This is our lot in life." I know I feel defeated all the time when watching this team. It's hard.

So I get the anger and frustration as well. I just don't get the lack of understanding regarding the context of the current situation we are in. It's like screaming at a 6 month old baby who isn't walking yet.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Wyoming helped us out by putting in their 2's also.

We had our 2s in the game well before they did.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
So I get the anger and frustration as well. I just don't get the lack of understanding regarding the context of the current situation we are in. It's like screaming at a 6 month old baby who isn't walking yet.

I liken it to yelling at a 25 year old who isn't walking, but is in Physical Therapy.

Yell at the right people... Teis/Trauth.

Give the coach a reasonable chance to fix the team.

Oh, side note: I still hate that the last two coaches that were brought in were granted "gimme years". Fran in the transition, and Withers last year. I understand you're not going to fire them in year 1, but dammit, at least act like you're trying to win the first year out.

I didn't get that feeling from Withers or Fran in their first years.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
the App St game we hardly had anything to cheer for

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

App State . . .

. . .Best Loss of the Season . . .

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I posted this several weeks ago.

Quote:
I started the season with very low expectations. We are right on track.
Next season I will just have low expectations.

After watching these games,
We still have very poor special teams play. Withers is in charge of special teams.
We still have bad coaching decisions. Going for two at the beginning of the game. Very stupid.
We still have to call timeouts coming off of situations when the clock is dead. penalties, quarter changes, punts, kickoffs. No excuse this late in the year.
These things don't have anything to do with talent or recruiting.

Consider ourselves lucky if we win one more game this year. Two if we are blessed.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 am
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
We still have bad coaching decisions. Going for two at the beginning of the game. Very stupid.

going for 2 wasn't necessarily stupid - any risky decision looks stupid when it doesn't work and genius when it does. the playcall was stupid as all get out.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I didn't think twice about going for two on that play... Only because of... well, we have kicking issues.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
Sweet. You can pay for Withers buy out on your own after betting all of these bad lines against us. I'm not saying we are going to cover, Im just saying that if I had as much conviction as you I would be on a plane to vegas.

hey, LT what do you know as discussed above we ended up tripling the line again this time to the very point. how is that for conviction. vegas is far too generous

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
lol at the lines vegas throws at us.forget covering spreads.we more than doubled the last points vegas gave us and just about tripled the game before that one

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
I didn't think twice about going for two on that play... Only because of... well, we have kicking issues.

When EW came in he said he liked kickers least on the football team. Problem is our kicker at the time (Kaba) was about our best player. Its his way or the highway no matter what the strengths of the team.

Last edited by VP98 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:45 pm
SuperCat

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
LT Spider wrote:
Sweet. You can pay for Withers buy out on your own after betting all of these bad lines against us. I'm not saying we are going to cover, Im just saying that if I had as much conviction as you I would be on a plane to vegas.

hey, LT what do you know as discussed above we ended up tripling the line again this time to the very point. how is that for conviction. vegas is far too generous

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
lol at the lines vegas throws at us.forget covering spreads.we more than doubled the last points vegas gave us and just about tripled the game before that one

How much did you make? Care to post your bet ticket?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I must admit I made a few bucks betting ULM.......

ULL line drops from 14 to 13.5 I'll pull the trigger on that too.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm