Ideal Schedule 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Ideal Schedule
What is your ideal OOC schedule?
Personally I'd like to see a mid-major, top 50ish FBS team, then a top 30-40 FCS team (preferably at home but willing to travel), and then a non-conference conference foe that we aren't playing that year.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:08 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: Ideal Schedule
I think it would be cool to play Texas teams for every OOC game. There are plenty teams at each level from Texas that could bring about some variety year after year too.

Texas FCS Team (Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, Lamar, etc.)
Texas P5 Team (UT, TCU, Baylor, A&M)
UTSA
Texas G5 Team (North Texas, Houston, Rice, UTEP)

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 am
SuperCat

It would be unacceptable for us to travel to any FCS team, but I agree with everything else.

Edit: Re read the first post and noticed what you said about playing Sun Belt schools in non conference. I think that would be dumb. The only reason schools do that is because they have a rival in conference that they don't get to play for whatever reason. We have no rivals in the Sun Belt.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 am
Junior Bobcat

Would like to get some home game from schools like tulane, La. Tech, tulsa, toledo, iowa state, kansas, etc. Big enough schools that aren't too far away that may bring in some fans.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 am
SuperCat

I would play:

UTSA

A FCS school (Southland Texas team like SFA if possible)

A beatable FBS team (when we are decent)

A big name team FBS team for the money and exposure.

With a decent team you can go 3-1, have good crowds at the home games, and still get money/exposure. I would try to keep travel expenses under control unless its to a bigger name team that is willing to come to san marcos. Ill even take a 2 for 1.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

I agree with LT.

I really like to continue to play PAC 12, Big 12, and ACC schools because they aren't as big/physical as Big 10 and SEC. Maybe some day but for me, while we are building a program in next 2-3 seasons, I'd prefer to stay away from SEC (Think Arkansas game) and Big 10 (Think OSU) schools.

My point is certain conferences are built to play physical (think 330lb OL/DL in SEC/Big 10) and other P5s are more finesse and athleticism with skill players.

I think this year's non-conference is a good example of what many of us would like.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

lena0 wrote:
then a top 30-40 FCS team (preferably at home but willing to travel)

NEVER play an FCS team that might beat you.
NEVER travel to an FCS team.

NEVER pay more to pull in an FCS team from out of state. There are plenty in Texas to play.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:11 am
True Bobcat Fan

I actually think Larry and Co. have done a pretty decent job with football and baseball scheduling (basketball a different story).

What we have most years is perfect I think:
P5 money payday
Bought FCS win
1 home/1 away vs. peer G5 institutions

One small gripe:
I don't want to play teams coming off a damn CFP appearance the year before ala Florida State in 2015. I'm all for playing P5 teams, but give me teams we can compete with and have a chance to beat. Give me 2014 Illinois and 2018 Rutgers type games please. If we go 10-2 then schedule top-tier P5 teams, till then let's keep it on the lower level.

As tx.state said DO NOT PLAY AN FCS TEAM THAT CAN BEAT YOU. We've done a good job with this as we're undefeated against the FCS since joining the FBS. UIW and HBU were perfect the last two years considering how bad we've been. We need FCS games right now, play someone you can beat and get a win towards bowl eligibility.

I like the UTSA series and that series will make scheduling easier for the next decade. Just have to find one intriguing H&H series with a peer G5 every couple years. As said previously, I'd like to see more series against other Texas schools (UNT, SMU, Rice, Houston, even UTEP). I like SMU on the schedule next year.

Maintain the schedule so we always have at least 6 home games. I only get to act like a college student and drink all day 6 times a year. Don't take one away from me. We've done a good job with this also as we've had a balanced 6 home/6 away every year we've been FBS.

To me, of the million things to complain about with the athletic dept, football scheduling is near the very bottom of the list.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
lena0 wrote:
then a top 30-40 FCS team (preferably at home but willing to travel)

NEVER play an FCS team that might beat you.
NEVER travel to an FCS team.

NEVER pay more to pull in an FCS team from out of state. There are plenty in Texas to play.

Yes yes yes. Beating a top FCS team doesn't matter. Losing does.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm
SuperCat

Agree with the points made on FCS. I'll give Larry some credit on getting bigger names to come to SM. Tech, Navy, UH, Baylor, Arizona St. You need games that are high energy, fun for the fans, full stadium, etc.

For basketball, Kaspar always has scheduled weak sisters of the poor. Maybe he likes having a good overall record or maybe he sees it as a way to work on the stuff he wants to without having the other team dictate the style.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
Agree with the points made on FCS. I'll give Larry some credit on getting bigger names to come to SM. Tech, Navy, UH, Baylor, Arizona St. You need games that are high energy, fun for the fans, full stadium, etc.

For basketball, Kaspar always has scheduled weak sisters of the poor. Maybe he likes having a good overall record or maybe he sees it as a way to work on the stuff he wants to without having the other team dictate the style.

Bingo. Most times, he's trying to install his offense for the newcomers to be able to adjust and also work on defensive schemes for the same purpose. Having 2-3 easy/winnable games does nothing for your schedule, but does wonders for your players/team's development.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

PVAM (for the band and tailgate)
UTSA (for the crowd)
UMASS
Kent State

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

FCS: I like the idea of PVAM or southland school
UTSA: stuck with them for a while but the it brings a crowd
Mid-major: C-USA or MW...maybe a home/home with fresno or la tech
P5: big 12 is hard to come by. was happy with the baylor announcement but lower sec/acc schools are nice; ie ole miss, north carolina. regardless we get it handed to us

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

FCS: I like the idea of PVAM or southland school
UTSA: stuck with them for a while but the it brings a crowd
Mid-major: C-USA or MW...maybe a home/home with fresno or la tech
P5: big 12 is hard to come by. was happy with the baylor announcement but lower sec/acc schools are nice; ie ole miss, north carolina. regardless we get it handed to us

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 am