Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 There is no excuse.... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: There is no excuse....
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I was ten feet away, front row, during the post game conference when Franchione said he was down to the "4th string Center" at one point during the game. So I'd love to hear where you get that I'm reporting "false" information on that. I was literally ten feet from him.

He said "In my 40 years of coaching, I've never seen that many injuries affect a team, particularly within specific position groups"

sigh. think back to before the season. i'll wait.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

To those of you who are posting the number of upper and lower classmen both teams have, I just want to remind you that when we played in 2012, nearly UTSA's entire team was freshmen and sophomores because it was our second year of football. We still won.

Injuries suck, so I feel for you there, but we weren't without our own. If I remember correctly, we were missing 3 starters for our game against you, but two of them were on our offensive line. One of our offensive linemen is out for the season, and another was out for just the Texas State game.

Enjoyed my first visit to your football stadium. Hope you guys will get the construction around it finished soon, and that you'll have a good rest of the year.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Volkmar wrote:
To those of you who are posting the number of upper and lower classmen both teams have, I just want to remind you that when we played in 2012, nearly UTSA's entire team was freshmen and sophomores because it was our second year of football. We still won.

Injuries suck, so I feel for you there, but we weren't without our own. If I remember correctly, we were missing 3 starters for our game against you, but two of them were on our offensive line. One of our offensive linemen is out for the season, and another was out for just the Texas State game.

Enjoyed my first visit to your football stadium. Hope you guys will get the construction around it finished soon, and that you'll have a good rest of the year.

Ouch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good hosting you guys, appreciate the positive thoughts for our team. Good luck to the Birds the rest of the season also!

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Volkmar wrote:

Supposed to have that construction finished (last I heard) by the time you guys come to town in 2 years.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Volkmar wrote:
To those of you who are posting the number of upper and lower classmen both teams have, [b]I just want to remind you that when we played in 2012, nearly UTSA's entire team was freshmen and sophomores because it was our second year of football. We still won.
[/b]

Good hosting you guys, appreciate the positive thoughts for our team. Good luck to the Birds the rest of the season also!

In 2012, UTSA had 6 seniors and 16 juniors.
In the 2012 game, this is the production that UTSA got from their upperclassmen:
100% of passing, 64% of rushing, 43% of receiving, and 58% of total tackles.

In 2017, TXST has 12 seniors and 18 juniors.
This the game last week, this is the production TXST got from their upperclassmen:
97% of passing, 33% of rushing, 74% of receiving, and 30% of total tackles.

I don't know about the starting offensive line for UTSA in 2012, but it's hard to get much younger than 2 true freshman, 2 true sophomores, and 1 true junior - which is what we had on Saturday.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

most every utsa player had a redshirt as well, since they hadn't competed before 2011.
just going off the notables mentioned in the utsa recap here:

qb soza - rs jr
rb okotcha - rs jr
rb glasco - rs so
lb reeves - sr
te moeller - rs so
wr jones - rs so
wr harrison - so
wr bias - rs fr

regardless of roster, that game was about playcalling and coaching, so i'll go back to the true reason:
Saul Goodman wrote:
fran vs coker.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 pm
SuperCat

^ yep. And even though both coaches were washed up, Fran was worse. Don’t feel like putting that up for debate so I’ll leave this here: A&M 0 - OU 77

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If you want to sum up Everett's tour in San Marcos so far ...he has yet to even recruit his own 2** son to verbal to txst who lives in his upstairs 10 miles from campus

full disclosure the kid only has one other FBS offer that will be in a conference next year and isn't a service academy

#coachwithersrecruiting

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

don't really want his kid, so that's not exactly a negative.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

regardless of roster, that game was about playcalling and coaching, so i'll go back to the true reason:
Saul Goodman wrote:
fran vs coker.

Agree 100%.

Just pointing out the "you got beat by freshman and sophomores" line that we've heard for the last 5 years isn't really true.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
If you want to sum up Everett's tour in San Marcos so far ...he has yet to even recruit his own 2** son to verbal to txst who lives in his upstairs 10 miles from campus

full disclosure the kid only has one other FBS offer that will be in a conference next year and isn't a service academy

#coachwithersrecruiting

Full disclosure....Withers had the #1 recruiting class in the Sun Belt so attacking him on that makes you look like an even bigger ignoramus.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It's true.
Wither's biggest W's since coming to San Marcos:
1. 2017 recruiting class
2. Ohio
3. Either UIW or HBU.... :(

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 am
Bobcat Wannabe

tx.state wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Volkmar wrote:
To those of you who are posting the number of upper and lower classmen both teams have, [b]I just want to remind you that when we played in 2012, nearly UTSA's entire team was freshmen and sophomores because it was our second year of football. We still won.
[/b]

In 2012, UTSA had 6 seniors and 16 juniors.
In the 2012 game, this is the production that UTSA got from their upperclassmen:
100% of passing, 64% of rushing, 43% of receiving, and 58% of total tackles.

In 2017, TXST has 12 seniors and 18 juniors.
This the game last week, this is the production TXST got from their upperclassmen:
97% of passing, 33% of rushing, 74% of receiving, and 30% of total tackles.

I don't know about the starting offensive line for UTSA in 2012, but it's hard to get much younger than 2 true freshman, 2 true sophomores, and 1 true junior - which is what we had on Saturday.

Allow me to correct you on a couple of those. Yes, we had 6 seniors and 16 juniors, but that wasn't our starting team. Those were rather the totals for our entire roster. Our roster that year consisted of 37 freshmen, 42 sophomores, 16 juniors, and 6 seniors.

And here are the numbers I have for UTSA in our 2012 game...
Our upperclassmen accounted for:
100% of passing
64% of rushing
34% of receiving
44% of total tackles

And btw, the 64% for rushing was largely because our Junior QB (Soza, who left Texas State for UTSA) was also our leading rusher in that game. You guys couldn't keep him, and had no answer for him when you faced him either. Our leading rusher for the season was actually a sophomore.

Some more numbers for the 2012 season...
- Only 2 of our 6 leading rushers were upperclassmen
- Only 2 of our leading 10 receivers were upperclassmen
- Only 7 of our leading 18 tacklers were upperclassmen.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

Volkmar wrote:
Our leading rusher for the season was actually a sophomore.

redshirt sophomore. not sure why you continue to ignore the redshirt year in your numbers.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:07 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Saul Goodman wrote:
Volkmar wrote:
Our leading rusher for the season was actually a sophomore.

redshirt sophomore. not sure why you continue to ignore the redshirt year in your numbers.

Yes, he was a redshirt sophomore because he was one of our "Original 18", who signed up to play for UTSA knowing we had zero equipment and no practice field, and that they'd have to practice on a high school field for a season using borrowed jerseys and pads from other schools, when they could've been playing on Saturdays if they had chosen another program. Many of our supporters have a poster of our Original 18, as they're an special group of redshirts who went out on a limb to start a program. So yeah, the numbers were skewed by them, but we were definitely a young team with little depth to speak of.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:39 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next