There is no excuse.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post There is no excuse....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

.....for what happened last night. No "nuclear option", no "we are young up front", no "recruiting will fix these issues", nothing.

A school that has been playing football for five years and is playing under a second year coach clearly had our number on all aspects of the game.

Tackling, non-existent.

Blocking, UTSA's front four spent all night in our backfield.

Receiving, we dropped wide open passes every time we tried to go deep (perhaps the reason TJ never threw deep last season?) and allowed UTSA to slice and dice us all night.

Running, we made their QB and RB look like NFL prospects going right up the gut against us and we had less rushing yards than UTSA had penalty yards.

There were no adjustments (much like last year) on defense, no changes to scheme on offense, our biggest weapons (Taylor at RB and Schrade/King/Luna at WR) were underutilized, our RT was manhandled by #94 all night and he was never given any help.

I don't see how "recruiting" alone will magically mask X's and O's deficiencies in the coming years.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: There is no excuse....
Don't bring up X and O stuff until you tell me what position group we have that is better than theirs. Possibly LBs but not with injuries.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
Don't bring up X and O stuff until you tell me what position group we have that is better than theirs. Possibly LBs but not with injuries.

LB's, secondary, WR's, TE. Just to name a few.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am
SuperCat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
LT Spider wrote:

LB's, secondary, WR's, TE. Just to name a few.

There's not that many position groups, go ahead and name the rest.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LSU Bobcat wrote:

There's not that many position groups, go ahead and name the rest.

The only position groups were they had a clear advantage was DE (and only one of them, #94), O-line and QB/RB. Even their backup offense scored on our starting defense. So the issue was clearly not with depth or lack of talent as some keep pointing out.

What are you getting at?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am
SuperCat

I would argue that they were better at every position group other than LBs. Secondary? Not even close.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:17 am
SuperCat

LT Spider wrote:
I would argue that they were better at every position group other than LBs. Secondary? Not even close.

The fact he said secondary is comical. I'd take our LBs any day. Every other position? I'll take them. Too many upperclassmen starting for them to not be better.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LSU Bobcat wrote:
LT Spider wrote:

The fact he said secondary is comical. I'd take our LBs any day. Every other position? I'll take them. Too many upperclassmen starting for them to not be better.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Some reasons UTSA is ahead of TXST in football:

They were admitted to “better named” conference.

Their hometown got behind them and is much larger than ours.

Their hometown is also in our service area.

Not everybody likes TXST and this is an opportunity to develop a rivalry with us.

Academically UTSA is now a Carnegie R3. Texas State is one category higher R2. UTSA also has substantial research and institutes so they are not too far behind us academically. Their credit hours transfer just as well as ours.

It is in the University of Texas System. There is still an advantage to being in that system as there are more research resources conveniently available to students in all system schools.

Their administration was more aggressive in pushing their new football program than was ours. We built a nice stadium and moved up from FCS but that wasn't enough.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
A school that has been playing football for five years and is playing under a second year coach clearly had our number on all aspects of the game

We are currently 4-7 against G5 FBS programs that either jumped from FCS to FBS after us (Georgia Southern and App jumped from FCS to FBS in 2013... we jumped in 2012) or against programs that have existed at all less than 10 years (UTSA, Georgia State and USA fall into this category)

Our G5 record is telling but our record against schools that have had even less time to 'round up their troops' and execute is even more telling. We will have 2 more chances this season to add to this 4-7 quandary when we play GSU and CCU :eatemup:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:

none of those have any bearing on why their program is better today. the initial hires are the singular reason: fran vs coker.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
no "we are young up front", no "recruiting will fix these issues"

To show year 3 progression we are supposed to have 8 regular season wins next season with a bowl win and we are not on track to do anything close to that and if you look at our 2018 recruiting class... while it looks like we are getting some decent lineman for 2018-- Saturday night was evidence that the amount of 2** recruits we are getting are not going to be enough to move the needle on the field. We are about to be half way through this season and we are getting close to the day when it is time to hold Withers accountable (year 3) yet the improvement is not there like it needs to be. For the first time I heard some panic in his voice in his post-game presser. I don't think he had any idea how bad he was or how decent UTSA was.. he was absolutely shocked because now he knows he is stuck with us for the long haul

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobbumman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

To show year 3 progression we are supposed to have 8 regular season wins next season with a bowl win and we are not on track to do anything close to that and if you look at our 2018 recruiting class... while it looks like we are getting some decent lineman for 2018-- Saturday night was evidence that the amount of 2** recruits we are getting are not going to be enough to move the needle on the field. We are about to be half way through this season and we are getting close to the day when it is time to hold Withers accountable (year 3) yet the improvement is not there like it needs to be. For the first time I heard some panic in his voice in his post-game presser. I don't think he had any idea how bad he was or how decent UTSA was.. he was absolutely shocked because now he knows he is stuck with us for the long haul

By contrast, Franchione, whom everyone LOVES to hate was 6-6 by year two and 7-5 by year three (starting from an FCS roster to an FBS competiton). I don't think it was panic, but you could tell he was starting to wake up to the fact that what undid Fran's tenure is starting to rear it's ugly head with him too:

Injuries to key contributors that could sink the ship before you get a chance to even-keel it.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

VP98 wrote:

They were admitted to “better named” conference.

Their hometown got behind them and is much larger than ours.

Their hometown is also in our service area.

Not everybody likes TXST and this is an opportunity to develop a rivalry with us.

Academically UTSA is now a Carnegie R3. Texas State is one category higher R2. UTSA also has substantial research and institutes so they are not too far behind us academically. Their credit hours transfer just as well as ours.

It is in the University of Texas System. There is still an advantage to being in that system as there are more research resources conveniently available to students in all system schools.

Their administration was more aggressive in pushing their new football program than was ours. We built a nice stadium and moved up from FCS but that wasn't enough.

Agree with most of these except the TxSt unpopularity bit. From what I've heard from out of town fans from other schools and tourist that come to San Marcos, Texas State has a HUGELY positive reputation. Hence my "sleeping giant" metaphors for our fan base. The 2005 season was a small glimpse of what this University COULD be in terms of visibility.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Bobbumman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

By contrast, Franchione, whom everyone LOVES to hate was 6-6 by year two and 7-5 by year three (starting from an FCS roster to an FBS competiton). I don't think it was panic, but you could tell he was starting to wake up to the fact that what undid Fran's tenure is starting to rear it's ugly head with him too:

Injuries to key contributors that could sink the ship before you get a chance to even-keel it.

And 3-9 by year 4 while returning a ton of starters

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:22 pm