Texas State Apathy – Why it Exists 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Texas State Apathy – Why it Exists
I am someone who no longer has season tickets or am no longer a bobcat club member. I have had a few alumni ask why I have lost my enthusiasm. I also often see comments on the forums about how our fans ‘suck’, or we don’t ‘deserve’ a good team, or that we need to’ hang in there’, or ‘next season’.

I don’t think these people realize how incredibly bad Texas State has been. Heck, I wasn’t even sure. I really thought to myself, ‘it feels like we have been bad forever. What other teams are as bad as us? So I decided to find out. Now, no offense to women’s sports or track or even baseball about 10 years ago, but I didn’t consider them. Just the bell cow sports of football and basketball.

Here is how bad we have been in the two main college sports based on the two simplest metrics: Bowl games and NCAA appearances:
-We are 1 of 3 NCAA FBS teams to NEVER have gone to a bowl game.
-Okay, I get it, we ‘just’ moved up 5 years ago. Well, 120 OTHER teams have been to a bowl game SINCE WE MOVED UP.
-‘But as least we HAVE been to the NCAA tournament’. Yeah, but since our last appearance 264 teams have managed to sneak in. Oh, but not us.
-We last went to the big dance 20 years ago. There are kids enrolled in Texas State today, who were not even BORN yet!
-If you flip around our bottom percentiles to the top, those schools are considered to be the best programs in history. So I have no choice but to draw the conclusion that we are the one of the worst programs in history.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Texas State Apathy – Why it Exists
You know what that means right?

The greatest turnaround in history!!!!!!

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

txstlinds wrote:
You know what that means right?

The greatest turnaround in history!!!!!!

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm with you. I deep-sixed my season tickets & BC membership, which I had held since the moment I graduated with my undergrad in 2004. It took twelve years for me to finally lose patience. I'm now much happier, especially in the fall.

I do see reason for hope with MBB.

Even the most hardcore Aggie-style loyalist would struggle to maintain interest in our athletic programs.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

west_texas_Cat wrote:
I am someone who no longer has season tickets or am no longer a bobcat club member. I have had a few alumni ask why I have lost my enthusiasm. I also often see comments on the forums about how our fans ‘suck’, or we don’t ‘deserve’ a good team, or that we need to’ hang in there’, or ‘next season’.

I don’t think these people realize how incredibly bad Texas State has been. Heck, I wasn’t even sure. I really thought to myself, ‘it feels like we have been bad forever. What other teams are as bad as us? So I decided to find out. Now, no offense to women’s sports or track or even baseball about 10 years ago, but I didn’t consider them. Just the bell cow sports of football and basketball.

Here is how bad we have been in the two main college sports based on the two simplest metrics: Bowl games and NCAA appearances:
-We are 1 of 3 NCAA FBS teams to NEVER have gone to a bowl game.
-Okay, I get it, we ‘just’ moved up 5 years ago. Well, 120 OTHER teams have been to a bowl game SINCE WE MOVED UP.
-‘But as least we HAVE been to the NCAA tournament’. Yeah, but since our last appearance 264 teams have managed to sneak in. Oh, but not us.
-We last went to the big dance 20 years ago. There are kids enrolled in Texas State today, who were not even BORN yet!
-If you flip around our bottom percentiles to the top, those schools are considered to be the best programs in history. So I have no choice but to draw the conclusion that we are the one of the worst programs in history.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

when the truth makes twinky uncomfortable he starts posting all sorts of gifs. he can't stand for anyone to shoot for anything higher than dead last.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
when the truth makes twinky uncomfortable he starts posting all sorts of gifs. he can't stand for anyone to shoot for anything higher than dead last.

I have detailed my expectations for Wither's tenure at Texas State and have never wavered from my statements.

We were also season ticket holders that canceled. Our complaints about the state of the football program along with our opinions of Teis and Fran were communicated to the Athletic Department. Change was finally implemented when Withers came in. He is still in the process of putting together his program, so I still will withhold judgement at this point and wait for my desired (realistic) results. We were unable to buy season tickets this year because of family obligations, but we will be back next year as regulars.

I just don’t see the point of whining on here about the past. Are you guys so unhappy that you want others to feel how you feel? Change has been implemented and we need to see where this is going.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Just put Phratty on ignore.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:12 pm
SuperCat

If Texas State loses by 21+ points this weekend, maybe Teis will be fired Monday morning. That's my hope going into the weekend.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Texas State is my alma-mater. I will always root for them... Win or lose. That support is 100% unconditional.

Of course i may not always donate if i think the athletic department is dropping the ball.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTU9bTBYSc

Elijah King isn't content with just keeping games close... so then why should fans be content

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Fans shouldn't be content with losing. Fans also have to realize we're always going to lose if we don't have fans.

Chicken or the egg. Sustained success won't happen until we have a decent following from our fanbase, and if our fanbase refuses to support until we have sustained success then the violent circle will never end.

Programs without sustained fanbases don't have sustained success and the best they can hope for are flash-in-the-pan successful seasons that happen despite the lack of support. Hopefully when we have our next flash-in-the-pan season our fans come back and don't have a new excuse.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTU9bTBYSc

Elijah King isn't content with just keeping games close... so then why should fans be content

Cause we don't have to be politically correct in front of the media.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Fans shouldn't be content with losing. Fans also have to realize we're always going to lose if we don't have fans.

Chicken or the egg. Sustained success won't happen until we have a decent following from our fanbase, and if our fanbase refuses to support until we have sustained success then the violent circle will never end.

Programs without sustained fanbases don't have sustained success and the best they can hope for are flash-in-the-pan successful seasons that happen despite the lack of support. Hopefully when we have our next flash-in-the-pan season our fans come back and don't have a new excuse.

I understand and agree with your assessment. However, the counterpoint to that is when is enough enough? And I don't mean $$$.

Take for example, many posters on this board... Year after year, donating money, attending games, etc. Only to see an AD that doesn't seem fit for the job, subpar performances in the major sports, and a school that just wants the money.

I understand people fed up with the Athletic Department. It's disheartening.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The entire athletic administration seems unqualified to run an FBS athletic dept.

Case in point:
I actually haven't made my bobcat club donation yet this year I don't think. Not because I don't want to, but because nobody has reached out to me and asked for it. Donations aren't like a utility bill that you have to pay to continue receiving the services you want. You have to be persistent in requesting donations.

So the AD obviously doesn't "just want the money" that bad, but that's part of the problem. Maybe if the outreach was better to our disheartened or disinterested alumni their involvement would improve.

Unfortunately, I don't see pulling support changing anything administratively within the athletic dept. So in my opinion it just compounds the issue. Best way to look at it may be from the student athlete perspective. The kids have done nothing wrong to not warrant some support.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am