Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fuck you larry 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Fuck you larry
slycat wrote:
The logo is used by a jr high in Deer Park. I pointed it out to a friends nephew who went there and had no clue. Thought it was unique to his school.

. .also used by a Middle School in San Antonio . .

I take it back . . . it's been changed . . .

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

it's been changed because we handle those trademark defenses like jackasses.

the university HAS to defend EVERY trademark violation. that's why you see tamu get ragged on so hard for suing the seahawks over the 12th man, but it has to be done, or you lose your legal standing.

but what we don't do, is follow up that cease and desist letter with a licensing agreement for a nominal fee that allows usage at a rate any isd can afford - say, $100 for 10 years.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:58 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Fuck you Larry.

Like some said earlier - I like the name of this topic - it makes me feel good to say this...

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
it's been changed because we handle those trademark defenses like jackasses.

the university HAS to defend EVERY trademark violation. that's why you see tamu get ragged on so hard for suing the seahawks over the 12th man, but it has to be done, or you lose your legal standing.

but what we don't do, is follow up that cease and desist letter with a licensing agreement for a nominal fee that allows usage at a rate any isd can afford - say, $100 for 10 years.

That scenario is what boggles me, and makes me wonder: how much revenue does the university bring in from licensing and merchandise? I can't imagine it'd be much.

Hell, I'd rather them license it out for $100/year to any and every one that comes calling (within reason, I'd prefer not to find Supercat X pills out there, though I doubt those fellas sign licensing). That way, everyone else does the legwork for the university to put as much merchandise on the market as possible. And by doing it in one year increments, they will be able to react should the impossible happen and we gain national notoriety in one season.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Saul Goodman wrote:
1) the university doesn't handle licensing for the things you guys are talking about - specifically polos and sweatshirts and all that. that goes through learfield.
http://learfieldlicensing.com/essential ... niversity/

2) the availability of those goods in stores are demand driven, and that has absolutely changed since we moved up. those of us on the message boards have chronicled that growth over the years. obviously, it's not where we diehards want it to be, especially in sa and atx, but i'd also argue that if you can't find the shirt (or whatever) you want in this day and age, you're either internetally illiterate or never visit san marvelous, and don't deserve it. not sure why anyone thinks they should see bobcat gear in dallas or houston though - i don't see tcu, smu or uh gear in austin, much less unt or uta.

3) the university does guard that logo (and the wacker typeface) as if they don't want anyone to ever see it. specifically, brian miller, is guilty of limiting their use, even within the university and it's organizations. he's an absolute moron and is flat out stealing money by continuing to cash his paycheck. this is a guy who tried to outsource his job a couple of years ago, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to a group that did nothing and eventually failed/quit as far as i can tell (can't recall the firm's name right now - anyone?). every time you complain about our marketing and promotions, this is who you are really bitching about.

In response to point #2; Because I, and I'm sure many other TXST alumni, students, fans, supporters and incoming students, live in DFW or Houston or other areas of the state. Sure we can order stuff from the limited number of (often over priced) outlets on the internet but why the limitation? All the stuff I've bought was bought in San Marvelous. But I've been there only a few times since my son enrolled and am unable to go there more often.
And in response to #s 1,2 and 3, Learfield works on behalf of TXST. So does Brian Miller (if I understand correctly). I'm suggesting that the school ramps up their marketing efforts to create a brand in areas outside of the Hill Country. Start with Katy Texas based Academy Sports. I'm quite confident that those folks previously mentioned in this post would be proud to see, and probably purchase TXST gear more if it was available at Academy locations throughout the state of Texas. Because that is where they live, throughout Texas.
Texas Tech has done well with establishing a brand. Separating themselves from UH, UNT, Bailor, TCU and SMU as, at least, the third school in the state. So, how 'bout being #4? Get our logo stuff throughout the state and help create the brand in support of what I believe HCEW will do with the football team. And from there, blanket all media outlets with the TXST brand.
It all starts with goals and a plan to achieve them. TXST has a lot of appeal. Get the word out!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Pieeaters wrote:
In response to point #2; Because I, and I'm sure many other TXST alumni, students, fans, supporters and incoming students, live in DFW or Houston or other areas of the state. Sure we can order stuff from the limited number of (often over priced) outlets on the internet but why the limitation?

Quote:
the availability of those goods in stores are demand driven

if more people wanted bobcat gear in those areas, it would be available in those areas. you know why there's a starbucks on every corner? because there's a line at every one. there's no line for bobcat apparel in dfw or houston, so there's no bobcat apparel. not real sure why you think the online prices are high, but i've never seen anything higher than b&m.

the rest of your post has been re-hashed on these boards 1000x, but in short, no one cares. people follow winners and we don't win. no one gave a shit about uh until the last 5 years, and now they are selling tons of apparel. that's why "fuck you larry"...

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
people follow winners and we don't win. no one gave a shit about uh until the last 5 years, and now they are selling tons of apparel. that's why "fuck you larry"...

I would only add that people follow up-and-comers. Losing at the lowest level in FBS is the antithesis of this. If we were building something, if there was progress, if we were winning even at this level, and looking like we might go somewhere, people would be interested.

Except that Larry has done nearly nothing over the years to keep alumni engaged and wondering what we're up to. So, many, many, many of them probably wouldn't even know if we started winning, until we were winning at a level that would cause ESPN to notice.

Our problems are two-fold. a) we don't win, and b) most of our potential fans don't expect us to, and don't particularly care if we do. I suspect very few are hoping or even wondering if next year we will turn a corner. Larry perpetuates apathy for the program.

That, of course, is moot, because the only evidence of progress is that which we die-hards manufacture in our heads each year.

Yeah, fuck you Larry.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 am
SuperCat

The last Academy in north Austin that I tried to find a bobcat shirt in had a Philadelphia Flyers shirt on the shelf. That was rock bottom. Seriously though, it seems like places near the Round Rock campus would have stuff. I know that demand is a huge factor and Im not expecting to outsell the big dogs. Just seems like one TXST offering on a row that includes 10 other colleges wouldn't be that hard of a sell from our people to the store. I will fully admit I am talking out my ass because I know nothing about the industry.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

While UT and aTm dominate, the Academy in Bastrop carries a very good selection of TxSt clothing and gear.

Alumni Assn. Charter Life Member #186
Bobcat Club Member Since Forever

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:44 am
SuperCat

MBA2000 wrote:
While UT and aTm dominate, the Academy in Bastrop carries a very good selection of TxSt clothing and gear.

There seems to be more in play than supply and demand at the moment. I find txst gear in the most random places that you wouldn't expect. Then, in the more obvious places outside of san marcos, I dont see any. There should be more demand in south austin than a random gas station in west texas.

Either way, it will take care of itself with the exploding alumni growth in major texas cities.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I see TXST gear at my local HEB and Randalls in Cedar Park all the time which is about 20 miles NW of Austin. And I see people wearing it too all the time just walking around the mall or even on my campus in South Austin.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Athletic Department needs to send a representative(s) to this Show. Who wants to volunteer?

SHOW WEBSITE
https://www.sportstailgateshow.com/

EXHIBITORS ATTENDING
https://slats.a2zinc.net/SLATS2018/Public/exhibitors.aspx#

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:53 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Just in case I forgot to say it...

Fuck you, Larry.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Boko Part Deux wrote:
Just in case I forgot to say it...

Fuck you, Larry.

Just curious, Do you think that Larry reads this board?

And if he does, Do you think he gives a Rat's Azzzzzzz about long suffering fans telling him F you?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:14 pm
SuperCat

Saw on Facebook that a guy from El Paso donated one miiiiiilion dollars. What's his story? I would promote the shit out of that trying to get more big money bobcats to come to the table.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next