Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 @ Colorado Gameday Thread 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: @ Colorado Gameday Thread
tx.state wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Same story with Tulsa, Lafayette, Tallahassee, and Fayetteville.

disagree on tallahassee. that was an impressive showing.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

All in all we did a lot better than I had imagined. The QB position is still shaky as well as the OL but the front 7 looked good and the Secondary looked better than against HBU but not by much. Considering the wide talent gap overall I wold give the effort Saturday a solid B. After this next game against ASU we should be able to get a decent estimate on how our season will finish up.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

After re-watching the game and considering none of us were expecting a win, the positives are the front 7 showed against a P5 school that they would hold up for about 3 quarters (about 1.5 quarters longer than last year and that the running game in one week improved in their timing of blocks (doesn't mean it will last but against a P5, not bad).

Other positives I saw were the RBs worked hard for their yards but had some good blocking going for some drives. The OL while not dominant seemed to take a step forward from last week, could the chemistry begin to gel in the coming weeks? We'll see. As I've stated, I'd be happy to get 100 yards rushing a game and to me that would be going in the right direction (even if that includes QB running too). WRs as whole didn't have a great game but some had their moments like Morbley against a pretty good secondary. LBs continue to shine and secondary had good some moments.

Concerns or still weak areas... TE blocking (Schrade poor on pass protection that led to 3rd down deflection of a pass and punt block as he left a guy on his side go unblocked). On top of that, a TE should be a QBs best friend and neither has Schrade or Rogers shown to be that. Quite surprising with Schrade having a pretty good showing last year. Please no more Schrade as Hback blocking for RB because I rarely saw him block one defender on any of those plays (it was poor blocking technique or lack of "want to"). OL while had good moments still had their issues picking up blitzes. Defensively, the secondary had some miscues and front 7 had at times problems getting to QB; however, that was in 3rd/4th when they likely played twice as many plays as the entire Offense.

All in all, I was not impressed with Colorado team but you can see they have their own youth coming up from their QB. Either way, we were able to play a half with a P5 without being blown out. Not happy but we didn't get any breaks or calls either.

Lets hope we can continue to improve week in and week out. Damian Williams while he's not star, is still our best option... for now.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

24 point dogs AT HOME to App next Saturday. Ouch.

Not surprised, but they beat us by 25 last year at their place. Would be nice to get a decent crowd and make a game out of that. The Sun Belt office let App avoid both Arkansas State and Troy for some reason so those guys have, by far, the easiest path to a Sun Belt championship. Let's spoil that shit.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was honestly expecting a 15 point type spread.

Oh well... Might have to put some money on the Bobcats at that line.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
tx.state wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Didn't see it and/or too drunk to remember.

But we commandeered a keg from some FSU kids for some keg stands during the rain delay.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

FWIW, on their forums - Colorado fans seem to think we'd beat Colorado State, even though they beat us by a larger margin. Not sure what that means, but maybe worth noting.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Lets quickly compare stats from HBU to CU games and see if there are any to be impressed or concerned about:

Offense
Rushing 155 (HBU) 156 (CU) Interesting but we may have gotten more late in CU game
Rush AVG 3.8 HBU 3.3 CU Not too surprising but I was expecting closer to 4 yards per rush (say 3.7ish) vs. CU but we did rush 47 times so that could have lowered our average late in game
Passing 135 HBU 127 CU Not too surprising but there were a few drops
Pass AVG 18/28 HBU 8/18 CU Seems to me we got conservative as game was lost
Total O yds 290 HBU 283 CU While we likely got some at end of game, similar but cause for concern
Total plays 69 HBU 65 CU Another area of concern, just 4 more than vs. HBU. Starting to question the purpose of going fast for quick 3 and outs; def hurts defense.

Defense
Sacks 6 HBU 2 CU Not too surprised but Anyama seemed to not play very much vs. CU (hope he didn't get hurt in this game) and we did miss a few chances in game for more
TFL 9 HBU 5 CU Again, not too surprised but there were more than a few we missed for TFLs
Pass BRUP 4 HBU 2 CU Not many in either game but with a young core, not surprising

Turnovers 3 HBU 2 CU HBU game Withers counts going for it on 4th down and not converting but for basic TOs, we only had 3 and in CU game 2
Penalties 7-70yds HBU 2-16 yds CU This is a win... very small win but a win no less. In a closer game, this could have mattered
TimePoss 28:45 HBU 33:25 CU We had it less vs. HBU and more vs. CU. What to make of it, not much when we seemed to run out clock late vs. CU while vs. HBU there were bigger plays made at times to score
3rd CONV 4 of 14 HBU 2 of 15 CU Ugh! This is no Bueno. When it matters, we aren't getting it done.
4th CONV 0 of 1 HBU 0 of 1 CU Well there is consistency for ya! Not good. Stop with Schrade as Hback.. he's a horrible blocker!!! Anyone else is better (Try Rubin there or TE).

Stats just show some things did alright while when things matter in games, we are still not there to execute/convert.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
FWIW, on their forums - Colorado fans seem to think we'd beat Colorado State, even though they beat us by a larger margin. Not sure what that means, but maybe worth noting.

yeah not sure I would read into anything from their fans because like us but relative to their stage, they had not seen a glimmer of success prior to last season since 2005 when they recorded 7 wins in the big XII sort of like us when we had 11 FCS wins in 2005. that means prior to last season they enjoyed 10 straight losing seasons

did not expect to win this one by any stretch of imagination but expected to do slightly more than just cover an unranked opponent. mostly because we escentially parted with 3 TDs via Taylor getting winded on his 55 yard run short of the endzone (I had a bad feeling that if we let the secondary catch him on that run we weren't going to be able to finish the drive with a score), williams underthrowing king for easy TD and not wrapping up on the special teams fumble scoop and score

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

how many times did we run on first down vs pass on first down?
seemed to be very one sided toward the run and kept us behind the sticks.

as pointed out in other posts, I agree that Tiggs seems too slow to cover and Schrade didn't block.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
tx.state wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

I agree with Saul. I've known several people who went to Florida State and their school is probably higher on that continuum than even we are. The school is not on the beach but most of their people grew up and live near the beach. Hopefully the hurricane damage to their beautiful state is not as bad as expected. Other greats include Arizona State, USC, anywhere in California or Florida. Ole Miss is great, too.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

Marcus Ripley named Sun Belt special teams player of the week.

We've had a guy make the list both weeks now with Anyama making it week 1.

Ripley had 9 punts with a 45.9 average and a long of 71.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Good to see Morbley back and doing his thing. With this season looking like a complete wash, we need to go with WJIII at QB and get him game experience. It will pay big dividends in two years.

Always have and always will like Taylor at RB, ever since the Fran days when he was a Freshman. As natural/instinctive runner as I've ever seen. A bit of a Karrington Bush type but with more mass.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
With this season looking like a complete wash, we need to go with WJIII at QB and get him game experience

agreed. williams can't scamper away from pressure or read a blitz like i thought he could. there were many plays where he at least enough time to throw the ball away and he didn't know enough to do that. our OL actually looked pretty good at times against colorado, at least better than i thought they would and definitely better than last season and williams still just didn't even look okay on plays where he had time. any word on whether or not gipson, roach and gjemar daniels will be redshirted? or when rosemond and luna will be back on the field?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
With this season looking like a complete wash, we need to go with WJIII at QB and get him game experience

agreed. williams can't scamper away from pressure or read a blitz like i thought he could. there were many plays where he at least enough time to throw the ball away and he didn't know enough to do that. our OL actually looked pretty good at times against colorado, at least better than i thought they would and definitely better than last season and williams still just didn't even look okay on plays where he had time. any word on whether or not gipson, roach and gjemar daniels will be redshirted? or when rosemond and luna will be back on the field?

Agreed that our OL looked good "at times". I think we will see a lot of the players and units progress & develop as the season goes. This will be the fun thing to watch this year.

I would say the time that Williams missed from camp definitely hurt. He doesn't look he's making good reads or decisions at this point. He also doesn't have seem to have good chemistry with the receivers. I think he will improve as the season goes on but I don't believe his ceiling is as high as I was hoping.

The thing to consider here is the big picture. I like how Withers is easing Jones into the game and getting him some experience. There's no reason though to throw him to the wolves at this point. The season isn't a "wash". This season is about gaining valuable experience for all of these young players that had to replace Taxman's idol's "kind of guys" who enjoyed the square more than the practice field.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next