UTSA showing..... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UTSA showing.....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

From what I keep hearing on campus, a lot of students and organizations are highlighting this game and plan on attending the game and not just the tailgate.

We need this win for our program, and I have a good feeling about this one.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: UTSA showing.....
This game will set the tone, good or bad, for the season.

Win and we may start to get this program and support for it turned around a year ahead of schedule.
Drop a close game, similar to App, and folks will likely continue to casually follow but with a let's-tailgate-hard-then-take-a-nap-before-going-to-the-square-later approach like now.
Get blown out and people will likely write 2017 off already in game 4.

Very important game for the program, and Withers, I think.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
This game will set the tone, good or bad, for the season.

Win and we may start to get this program and support for it turned around a year ahead of schedule.
Drop a close game, similar to App, and folks will likely continue to casually follow but with a let's-tailgate-hard-then-take-a-nap-before-going-to-the-square-later approach like now.
Get blown out and people will likely write 2017 off already in game 4.

Very important game for the program, and Withers, I think.

I think your analysis of this game is spot on, with one exception.. . . Withers.

I just don't see this one game as that important in the larger scheme where Withers is concerned. Because he burned the program to the ground last year, expectations coming into this season were phenomenally low. We were picked to finish last in the Belt, and win one to three games. For those reasons, I just don't see the results of this one game having that much impact on Withers.

That said, I understand the import our players, students, fans, and alum may place on this contest. But this year, I think Coach gets a pass .. . .

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah I mean more big picture with Withers. Aside from a huge Baylor-like scandal he'll be our coach in 2018 regardless of what happens this season or in any particular game.

But I think winning this game can start to get him ahead of schedule for turning the program around to where he wants it to be. Look at his history, he's not here to stay for the long haul. He's gonna want to turn this thing around as quickly as possible to get the attention of school's with deeper pockets than us. Beat utsa in front of a packed house and we could start to gain some unexpected momentum in 2017. Get blown out and it's just "let's get better every day and recruit hardworking young men" and the fans/alumni start looking at the 2018 schedule.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x, I think you said it earlier... A win this weekend can advance his rebuild project (in terms of support) by a whole year.

But I think in general, all agree... This game is a big one for us.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

See where you're coming from now . .. . and yeah, a win Saturday would be tremendous. The kind of win that propels the team to exceed season expectations and have the kind of success no one saw coming . . .

think you're spot on about the effects of a loss as well . . . as physical a game football is, it's also seriously mental, as we're an extremely young team, I'm not sure how mentally tough these guys are . . though to date they've played and acted the part . . .

I think the two teams defenses are about a draw . . . I have to give their offense an edge.

Hope we can shock some folks Saturday . . .

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

Every sellout game we have been blown out. navy we had a small comeback but not after being doing 3-4 scores. Let's stop that.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
Every sellout game we have been blown out. navy we had a small comeback but not after being doing 3-4 scores. Let's stop that.

This is the truth. Every time we have a big crowd we get mudholed. At some point we have to quit that.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat87 wrote:
think you're spot on about the effects of a loss as well . . . as physical a game football is, it's also seriously mental, as we're an extremely young team, I'm not sure how mentally tough these guys are . . though to date they've played and acted the part . . .

Gonna be really interesting to see how they respond from last week.

They could say "Everyone said we had no chance to win last week, and we dominated them. We stopped ourselves last week, now is the time to fix that and shut up the naysayers."

Or they could say "Fuck! We beat on those guys and still didn't win."

I hope for the former.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
They could say "Everyone said we had no chance to win last week, and we dominated them. We stopped ourselves last week, now is the time to fix that and shut up the naysayers."

Or they could say "Fuck! We beat on those guys and still didn't win."

I hope for the former.

Or they could say, “Man, the Uber ride to the stadium with that Taxman dude was scary. He had a lot of 8x10 glossy photos of Dennis Franchione all over the interior of his car. I’m a little freaked out and I’m not sure if I’m going to play well today.”

That’s probably the worst scenario.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Every time we have a big crowd we get mudholed

I don't feel like we got mudholed against S.Miss at all and on paper it was right near a sellout at 27K strong. What I didn't like about the S.Miss ending is that it reminded me of last week's ending. Ending on a play on the goaline that didn't have a good chance of scoring while time runs out or I think in the case of the S.Miss game we turned over on downs at the 1 yard line then time expired short after

I expect butts in seats to be comparable to Southern Miss or Navy but not as many butts in seats as Tech or UH

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

For those of us who were at the first game, the UTSA team stood at midfield taunting our team to come on to the field before the game. It showed the U attitude of Miami to me that Coker wanted for that game. It worked because we looked really intimidated that 1st qtr. With a young team and at our house, we need to have confidence on Saturday once they get on the field to win this game.
As far as Withers is concern,I'm not worry about him. He will be motivated to win by looking at a coach on the other side who just got a salary increase to 900k.

Remember the Alamo(dome)!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Geno82 wrote:
For those of us who were at the first game, the UTSA team stood at midfield taunting our team to come on to the field before the game. It showed the U attitude of Miami to me that Coker wanted for that game. It worked because we looked really intimidated that 1st qtr. With a young team and at our house, we need to have confidence on Saturday once they get on the field to win this game.
As far as Withers is concern,I'm not worry about him. He will be motivated to win by looking at a coach on the other side who just got a salary increase to 900k.

Remember the Alamo(dome)!

Didn't help that fran never wanted our guys to be jumping around and loose. Stiff and stoic rarely helps win games.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

"I think the two teams defenses are about a draw . . . I have to give their offense an edge."

I respect your opinion. However, they have the advantage of having a veteran line on both sides. And a quarterback. As much as last week gave me some hope, we will lose by 3 touchdowns.

(On the positive side, anyone notice the jean cutoff shorts our chicks wear to the game. Ass hanging out and stuff. Love it! Beats the shit out of the UTSA chicks that wear a half shirt and show off their stretch marks.)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

GreenParrot wrote:
(On the positive side, anyone notice the jean cutoff shorts our chicks wear to the game. Ass hanging out and stuff. Love it! Beats the shit out of the UTSA chicks that wear a half shirt and show off their stretch marks.)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 pm