Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 '17 Home Opener vs Houston Baptist GAMEDAY THREAD 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: '17 Home Opener vs Houston Baptist GAMEDAY THREAD
BobcatSideEye wrote:
All you youngsters who have been following since 2002 make me feel old. I have been a Bobcat for almost 40 years. Apart from the D2 success with Wacker, there hasn't been much in that time to be excited about with football.

I can relate to this. Wacker did make Bobcat football exciting. I also thought we had arrived in 2005, but......nope.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

jimbobway wrote:
People on this forum are funny - the "how dare you be disappointed in this terrible team" attitude is just ridiculous. I've been supporting the 'Cats since 2002, and 2005 with Nealy and the 7-5 year under Fran were the only two times I remember seeing some success on the field. It feels like we've been "rebuilding" for decades at this point. I still buy season tix and support the guys, but god damn, even if we are undersized and young I don't think there are excuses for the sloppy tackling, sloppy blocking, sloppy play I saw against a weaker opponent like that. I get it that we have growing pains (yet again this season) and will never be a powerhouse in Texas, but I also hate giving my heart to a team that year in and year out just flat out sucks. I can roll with the consensus that year 3 under Withers will be the true reckoning year for him, and this season will be a season for a lot of freshmen to play and show us what they've got. But I sure as hell am not going to pretend like being in danger of losing to an FCS school whose campus was literally underwater just last week is a step in the right direction or some sort of big positive. I hope that when we play Colorado next week that even if we get totally stomped, I see guys making clean tackles, clean blocks, running crisp routes, etc. If I see that start to happen I'll continue to give Withers the benefit of the doubt. I just didn't see that last night.

This guy knows how to complain without coming off as a loon.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 am
SuperCat

I've taken a couple of days to think about it before posting, so here goes.

I have always said that I thought this season would be rough and that I would not criticize Withers until year 3. I'm still going to hold to that, but will say that I thought we would look better. I walked away disappointed in the offense and unsure about the defense.

Crowd - I know there were issues in Houston and we were playing a no name opponent, but there should have been more people there. We can talk all we want about "deserving" a better team, but we dont deserve shit if we cant get more than 12k to a home opener. Damn near no excitement in the stands, yelling on 3rd down, etc. The lady next to me fell asleep in the second half. Literally.

Offense - I was surprised to see that Williams was 18/28 because he didn't come across as that accurate. Sometimes I thought he was looking to run a little early even though it wasn't particularly successful. Considering he missed most of camp, Ill give him a pass and hope to see improvement.

OL - Abortion. We are going to have to find a way to move the ball despite this group. Screens, draws, short passes, etc.

RB - Anthony Smith looked good and may actually be the big play threat this offense needs. Only a freshmen so it will be fun to watch his development.

WR - King can play. Still too early to see if anybody else can. I didn't see a lot of open receivers all over the field and I'm not sure that Williams would find them if they were. So many passes were to the boundary with only one real option as opposed to going through a progression.

Defense-
Front 7 - Much improved as expected. Liked that we can bring pressure when needed. Getting after their QB starting in the second quarter is the only reason we won the game.

Secondary- Poor. They got torched in the first quarter and made Zappe (freshmen) look like Joe Montana. They got bailed out by the front 7 forcing him to run for his life the rest of the game. Zappe was 9/13 for 124 in the first quarter. I think one or two of the incompletions were batted down at the los.

Overall - We may not win another game unless the defense scores for us. We will be able to force some running teams to pass but the secondary will have to play much better to win. The main thing that I'm looking for this year is improvement as the year goes on. Give us some hope for next year because that is when we should have the players and experience to put some things together. I would be looking for some JUCO OL starting now.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Anyama is the SBC Defensive POTW

5 Tackles
2 Sacks
1 Blocked Kick
1 Forced Fumble
1 QB Hurry

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:10 pm
Junior Bobcat

Some positives for going in to week 2. We should be getting Anthony Taylor back at CB so that should pick up the play in the secondary. Also should be getting Morbley back as well who will give us another weapon on offense. I know it was only HBU but I haven't seen that much pressure on a QB since 2014.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 am
SuperCat

78666life wrote:
Some positives for going in to week 2. We should be getting Anthony Taylor back at CB so that should pick up the play in the secondary. Also should be getting Morbley back as well who will give us another weapon on offense. I know it was only HBU but I haven't seen that much pressure on a QB since 2014.

For comparison, we had 0 sacks, 2 TFLs, and 2 QBHs vs UIW

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

78666life wrote:

Kordell Rogers broke his hand Saturday. Withers said he'd miss one week?
_______
Keff Ciardello‏ @Keff_C 19h19 hours ago

#TXST safety Kordell Rodgers broke his hand Saturday. Withers said he should only miss one week.

WR Thurman Morbley is no longer suspended.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

If Withers wants to improve the secondary he needs to get Roach Dimery and Newman in the game. Is he planning on redshirting those 3? Eastling got in the game but maybe he should be starting. Can't hurt to try, certainly can't get much worse than the deep ball our program has always been so notorious for giving up

I'm still not sure how Krawcyk a former running back beat out Dimery and Newman and Rodgers a former qb beat out Roach....maybe they should consider moving Dimery and Newman to CB because we need them on the field somehow if we want to keep our offense in the game this year

-Bill O'Brien

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
If Withers wants to improve the secondary he needs to get Roach Dimery and Newman in the game. Is he planning on redshirting those 3? Eastling got in the game but maybe he should be starting. Can't hurt to try, certainly can't get much worse than the deep ball our program has always been so notorious for giving up

I'm still not sure how Krawcyk a former running back beat out Dimery and Newman and Rodgers a former qb beat out Roach....maybe they should consider moving Dimery and Newman to CB because we need them on the field somehow if we want to keep our offense in the game this year

Krawcyk lost his lid one play Saturday and his back up, Dimery, was not prepared to come in, forcing us to have to call a time-out.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:

I don't think we should be redshirting anyone who might be able to help put out the dumpster fire. My iPhone kept cutting out (Internet still down thanks to that bastard Harvey) but from what I could tell, there were signs of hope. However, we still need all the help we can get from the Freshmen. There will be growing pains but if the kids are better than the upperclassmen, throw them out there and let them learn on the fly.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

lancer wrote:
Bobbumman wrote:

Krawcyk lost his lid one play Saturday and his back up, Dimery, was not prepared to come in, forcing us to have to call a time-out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teachable_moment

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7