Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 '17 Home Opener vs Houston Baptist GAMEDAY THREAD 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: '17 Home Opener vs Houston Baptist GAMEDAY THREAD
txstatefan715 wrote:
Did Everett get on the team in the post game press conference? Last year all we heard was how the players couldn't do anything right and he's made it known he got rid of all the guys who wouldn't do it his way. So if now he has the guys that WILL do it his way, his way isn't working.

Just because he has the guys that will do it "his way" doesnt mean they are talented enough to win. Most of the guys on the field are from the recruiting class he had 5 weeks to put together. The recruiting class after that dumpster fire of a season Fran gave us in 2015. Because LT wouldnt fire Fran after the season. It looked like most of his 2017 signing class was in shorts.

txstatefan715 wrote:
And one thing that should be mentioned sadly. There's no way HBU was able to adequately prepare for the game with all that's going on in Houston. How many days of practice did they have to miss? .

I think they had 4 days of practice.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hard to be positive, it was a pretty bad performance.

I guess we have more talent on the field this year, hard to be worse than last year. I dont think we will win another game, but who knows, we play in the sunbelt.

I do like that Withers teams play hard, they dont get discouraged when things arent going right, and the coaches on the sideline are visibly excited.

The most thing that is more disappointing than the quality of the product on the field is our terrible video boards. Holy shit are those things awful. People would bitch when they wouldnt show replays but when they did show them you cant see the play anyway. They should just try to sell ads on those things to generate $.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:

I guess we have more talent on the field this year, hard to be worse than last year. I dont think we will win another game, but who knows, we play in the sunbelt.

I do like that Withers teams play hard, they dont get discouraged when things arent going right, and the coaches on the sideline are visibly excited.

The most thing that is more disappointing than the quality of the product on the field is our terrible video boards. Holy shit are those things awful. People would bitch when they wouldnt show replays but when they did show them you cant see the play anyway. They should just try to sell ads on those things to generate $.

Last year the SBC was rated higher than CUSA and the MAC. I guess it would be better for us to be in one of those two to get wins.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 pm
Junior Bobcat

slycat wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

Last year the SBC was rated higher than CUSA and the MAC. I guess it would be better for us to be in one of those two to get wins.

Spot on. I hate TXST being in the Sun Belt, but the league is slowly going in the right direction. If I could make the rules, TXST and UTSA would be in the Mountain West today.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The Sunbelt would be rated much higher if we would leave.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

slycat wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

According to who? MAC had the Cotton Bowl representative last year at 13-0, a Toledo team that won 10+ games.

C-USA had Western Kentucky at 11-3, Old Dominion at 10-3.

Trash in the Sun Belt is same as other leagues. Best leagues are determined by the top not number of bottom feeders.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstatefan715 wrote:
slycat wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

According to who? MAC had the Cotton Bowl representative last year at 13-0, a Toledo team that won 10+ games.

Trash in the Sun Belt is same as other leagues. Best leagues are determined by the top not number of bottom feeders.

SBC finished 2nd in the Bowl Campionship series and it came down to the last day. That put them ahead of the others for end of year.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

My Takeaways:

Relentless defensive play all 4 quarters
Some of our fans on this forum are embarrassing
Offense was lackluster
Red zone defense did great
Our Young Dline was eating their Older Olines lunch
Our QB has heart, needs to set his feet
Freshman RB did very well
5 SACKS!!!
The Bigger picture looks extremely bright

Last edited by BobcatDis on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

txstatefan715 wrote:
slycat wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

Warren Nolan RPI. The site is showing 2017 now but last year the conference finished above the others. Every conferences has duds and we were the Sun Belts last year.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatDis wrote:
My Takeaways:

Relentless Play all 4 quarters

3 quarters, maybe. Definitely not relentless in the first, and much of the second was debatable.

OL will be a big problem. I suspect they are young and probably small, although I haven't taken the time to look.

Defense is hard to evaluate against FCS. Looked solid after a slow start. They'll probably be gassed, whether they're good or not.

Did it seem like there were a lot of players cramping up?

Tailgate area seemed kind of sparse, so I suspect the holiday weekend and the floods kept the crowd size way down.

Concessions moved slow, and there was almost no cheese on my nachos.

Beer was good.

I could hear the announcer.

Players seemed to have energy and they high-fived the fans again.

Nobody in my section was predicting all of the plays, like everyone did under Fran.

We won.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ruwallydog wrote:
Just curious what others think about our performance tonight that are closer to the program than I am...positive and negative?

Not sure we will really know much one way or the other from an FCS opponent, but I do think our overall talent level on the field is improved over last year.

Positive: We got the win, and the defense played well. The crowd at least got the post game high fives back. I seriously saw 8-10 little kids who RAN down do the railing when the game was over to get a good spot. That's what Withers didn't get last year......that the tradition was not for him or his players, but for the fans that drove a long way (some from Houston) for the game. One family was mom, dad, five kids and all reserved seats. That's a ton of money for one family to spend, the least we can do from a marketing perspective is give the kids a good memory to take away, particularly after loses.

Negative: Pretty much everything else

The overall talent is less than last year, but there is talent there to work with.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

Okay, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a poor cheese to chip ratio on nachos.

I'm looking at you Movie Theater.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:55 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstlinds wrote:
Okay, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a poor cheese to chip ratio on nachos.

I'm looking at you Movie Theater.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My street tacos were dry and cold, but expected for game day concessions tbh.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:04 am
SuperCat

I think we can all agree that our OL has some growing to do. They are young. It will take time. Not being able to run the ball was the most disappointing thing to me. You have to give HBU credit though. After everything they went through they were fired up. They punched us in the mouth on that first drive for a td. Who knows what would have happened if the cats would not have shot themselves in the foot offensively during the 1st period. I'm glad to get the win and looking forward to seeing how we play against Colorado. :eatemup:

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

Hey, at least we're not Baylor and lost to Liberty. Good thing we didn't play them.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next