Lets talk HBU 
SuperCat

Post Lets talk HBU
Since it looks like we are going to play, lets actually talk some football.

Last year HBU went 4-7 with wins over Texas Southern, Abilene Christian, Lamar, and SFA. Quite a few blow out losses and a close loss to Incarnate Word. Although we didn't always look great against IW last year, we were able to walk away with an easy victory. Lets hope for the same this year as a confidence builder.

Not finding a lot of info about starters or players to watch for. If you have info or are a HBU fan, please post info.

Athlon has this rated the worst FBS game in the country (87th). Yay! At least they predicted us to win.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Lets talk HBU
LT Spider wrote:
Athlon has this rated the worst FBS game in the country (87th). Yay! At least they predicted us to win.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-87-games-week-1-2017-college-football-season

Ha.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We won't learn a lot about the team but I am just ready to watch some TXST football before I head to Colorado next week.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 pm
SuperCat

CHICAGO – HBU senior linebacker Garrett Dolan has been selected to the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List, announced by STATS FCS Friday. He was a finalist for the nation's top Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) defensive honor and finished 11th in the voting for the award last season.

Dolan became the first Associated Press and STATS All-America selection in HBU history. He was an All-Southland Conference first-team pick, his third-straight selection, after leading the league and ranking second in the FCS with 12.3 tackles per game. Dolan recorded 135 tackles (47 solo), 15.5 for losses, two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, three quarterback hurries and three pass breakups.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:22 pm
SuperCat

2016 Texas State Fun Stats

– 1st Half Scoring: Opponents 304 – Texas State 93
– Sacks: Opponents 44 for 310 yards – Texas State 9 for 48 yards
– Rushing Yards: Opponents 2,668 – Texas State 989

Found these stats while looking around. I know its HBU but lets see how they look after week 1.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
We won't learn a lot about the team

i know a lot of folks think that about our weak ass openers every year, but i like to watch that game pretty closely from a scheme perspective. i feel like i'm going to see what the coach wants the base o/d to look like, because it's a great live scrimmage, w/ no real threat of loss.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:13 pm
SuperCat

I love the easy week 1 game. Coaches get a chance to see the guys in live action, 1-0 is good confidence builder for the team, and the fan base stays tuned for at least another week or two. Start 0-3 and the fans mail it in for the year. In the future, it gets you 1/7th (probably) of the way to a bowl game.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah I like it too.

Hated UIW in game 4 last year, would much rather play the cupcake in the first game of the year.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Yeah I like it too.

Hated UIW in game 4 last year, would much rather play the cupcake in the first game of the year.

Problem with that is... Most folks want the cupcake game as the first game of the year, and against the P5's, we are the cupcakes.

I do wonder if Ohio felt we were the cupcakes too.....

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 pm
SuperCat

I like having a cupcake game early also for the stated reasons. It doesn't necessarily have to be the first game though, but it should be the first home game. I feel like the casuals and students for the most part don't pay attention to road games so they won't affect attendance but if we get smoked in the home opener like last year then it'll affect the rest of the home games.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah the more wins we can rack up early the better for attendance.

History has shown our fans dwindle as the season progresses, almost regardless of how the team is doing. It takes a big year to increase as the season goes on like 2005. Attendance was pretty embarrassing late in the year last year. But that's what happens to 2-10 teams I guess.

Hoping for a nice crowd on Saturday. I'm assuming we won't get as many of our Houston area alums as usual which may hinder attendance a bit and also assuming HBU brings a very small crowd. But weather should be absolutely perfect and it's a 6pm season opener.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am
SuperCat

Good news is that the students usually are strong for the 1st game. If we win big they should come out for game 2 in force as well. UTSA should be a sellout regardless. I'm not sure if they're even capable of it but hopefully we don't allow them to take over our stadium.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

http://hbuhuskies.com/news/2017/8/30/fo ... pener.aspx

FB: HBU Heads to Texas State for Season Opener

Huskies face FBS foe in first of four road games to start 2017 campaign.
Aug. 30, 2017 Football

SAN MARCOS, Texas - Despite Hurricane Harvey's effort to thwart the beginning of college football season in the Lone Star State, HBU will kick off the year against FBS foe Texas State as scheduled Saturday at 6 p.m. at Bobcat Stadium. The video broadcast will be available on ESPN3, while HBU's Legacy Sports Network audio broadcast with Lonnie King is available on HBUHuskies.com.

The Huskies (0-0) will be led on offense by the senior running back tandem of B.J. Kelly and Terrance Peters. Kelly has rushed for 1,374 yards and 10 touchdowns in his three seasons, while Peters has rushed for 1,308 yards, six touchdowns, and added 235 receiving yards and a score. Peters also has three of the four longest runs in school history with touchdowns of 82, 78 and 51 yards. Senior receiver Isaiah Hall made 29 catches for 279 yards and a touchdown last year, and senior receiver Ethan Fry had 17 receptions for 285 yards. HBU will suit up three quarterbacks who have combined for one collegiate snap with sophomore Jack Swensen, redshirt freshman Andrew Haidet and true freshman Bailey Zappe.

HBU's defense is led by All-America senior linebacker Garrett Dolan, who ranked second nationally last season with 12.3 tackles per game, was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award for FCS's top defensive player and is on this season's watch list, and is a three-time all-conference selection. He is joined by senior linebacker Cody Moncure, who made 73 stops last year, all-conference senior cornerback Derek Broussard and all-conference sophomore defensive end Andre Walker.

Junior kicker Alec Chadwick made the longest field goal in Division I football last year with a 60-yarder in the season finale at Incarnate Word, went 16-for-25 on field goal attempts and was perfect on extra points. Senior punter Christian Guzman enters the season with the third-best average in Southland Conference history. Long snapper Danny Garza was a preseason all-America third-team selection.

Texas State (0-0) went 2-10 last season and 0-8 in the Sun Belt Conference in its first season under head coach Everett Withers. The Bobcats will be led at quarterback by either Mississippi State transfer Damian Williams or Willie Jones, a true freshman from Beaumont. Robert Brown and Anthony Taylor, who rushed for 25 yards last season, are expected to pace the running backs. Tyler Watts was Texas State's leading receiver last year with 43 catches for 364 yards and a touchdown.

Bryan London anchors the Bobcats' defense, as he ranked third in the nation last season with 141 tackles, while Gabe Loyd recorded 102 stops.

Saturday marks the first meeting on the gridiron between the two schools as HBU begins its fourth season and Texas State enters its 110th. The Bobcats were members of the Southland Conference from 1987-2010.

The Huskies will be on the road for the first four weeks of the season and will have a short turnaround before a meeting with crosstown rival Texas Southern Thursday, Sept. 7 at 7:30 p.m. at BBVA Compass Stadium. HBU then faces Abilene Christian Sept. 16, followed by McNeese Sept. 23 in back-to-back Southland Conference road games.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Also just noticed a familiar name on their coaching staff:

Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks: Charlie Reeve (Texas State, 2003)

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the great coverage HBUHuskies and we better watch out for HBU All-America senior linebacker Garrett Dolan, I bet he makes a lot of tackles. Yea, Charlie Reeve is cool.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 pm