Scheduling curiosity 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Scheduling curiosity
The football schedule has us playing at Colorado and at Wyoming this fall, of course. But the basketball team is also playing at Air Force and at Colorado State. It probably doesn't mean anything, but I do wonder whether there is an effort to make Texas State more familiar to schools in that part of the country.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Scheduling curiosity
I hope so. I think we are a great match for other universities in the Mountain West compared to the Sunbelt (university academics, school atmosphere, etc.). I have no real hope we will end up in that conference anytime soon, but I want us to play more non-conference games with Western/Southwestern schools.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am
True Bobcat Fan

My scheduling curiosity is what are we going to do to fill the hole in the 2018 schedule left by Tulsa backing out (and how much money are we getting from them for backing out late)?

It's August 2017 now so not a whole lot of time left to find what we want (a G5 home game). I know we don't want only 5 home games next year, I know we don't want to host two FCSs, and I know we don't want two money P5 away games. I'd still bet it will be New Mexico State or Liberty.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
My scheduling curiosity is what are we going to do to fill the hole in the 2018 schedule left by Tulsa backing out (and how much money are we getting from them for backing out late)?

It's August 2017 now so not a whole lot of time left to find what we want (a G5 home game). I know we don't want only 5 home games next year, I know we don't want to host two FCSs, and I know we don't want two money P5 away games. I'd still bet it will be New Mexico State or Liberty.

NMSU has 2 openings for 2018. Liberty has a full transition schedule.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

NMSU please.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Misread both their schedules.

That's pretty damn impressive Liberty already has 12 games booked for 2018 as an independent. Didn't they just announce in the spring their move to FBS?

I count NMSU as still needing 4 more games total, but they need home games worse than away games. Both of us off 9/18 if they want to come to SM.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Misread both their schedules.

That's pretty damn impressive Liberty already has 12 games booked for 2018 as an independent. Didn't they just announce in the spring their move to FBS?

I count NMSU as still needing 4 more games total, but they need home games worse than away games. Both of us off 9/18 if they want to come to SM.

Yes, that's why they have 2 FCS teams on there. Kind of like our first transition season.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Aren't many SBC schools higher academically than TXST. USA, GSU, and UL come to mind.

Not sure we have much in common with the MWC. A portion of both the SBC and CUSA would make more sense.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Here's the Carnegie Classifications for the SBC

R1
UTA
GSU

R2
TXST
USA
ULL
Idaho
NMSU

R3
UALR
GS
ULM

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

2018 Conference Schedule

2019 Conference Schedule

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

CatMom wrote:
Here's the Carnegie Classifications for the SBC

R1
UTA
GSU

R2
TXST
USA
ULL
Idaho
NMSU

R3
UALR
GS
ULM

I take it Georgia State is the R1 as is UTA. TXST just moved up from R3 to R2 last year. There is a perception that Mountain West is a better fit for us. I disagree. Travel costs are a big factor. I still think our school is more like Georgia Southern and Troy than like WYO. We only wish we were Colorado State. There are a lot of people with Texas ties in NM, CO, and WY so it is worth it to play out west non-conference.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

VP98 wrote:

I take it Georgia State is the R1 as is UTA. TXST just moved up from R3 to R2 last year. There is a perception that Mountain West is a better fit for us. I disagree. Travel costs are a big factor. I still think our school is more like Georgia Southern and Troy than like WYO. We only wish we were Colorado State. There are a lot of people with Texas ties in NM, CO, and WY so it is worth it to play out west non-conference.

Official SBC monikers
GSU - Georgia State
GS - Georgia Southern

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Scheduling strategy going forward for Sun Belt starting in 2018:

Two 5-team divisions with a conference championship game between division champs.
West is TXST, Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, and South Alabama.
East is Troy, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal, and App State.
You will play the teams within your division every season, 2 home and 2 away. So we will play Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, and South Alabama every season for the foreseeable future.
They will continue with an 8-game conference schedule. You will play 4 of 5 teams from the other division every season, 2 home and 2 away, with the team you don't play rotating every season. We don't play Coastal in 2018 or Georgia Southern in 2019.
There will not be any permanent cross-divisional rivalries with the exception of USA and Troy who will play every season despite being in separate divisions. That will invariably cause some scheduling imbalances without everyone having a permanent cross-division rival. Some conferences, like the SEC, have a permanent cross-division rival for that purpose but we really don't have anything nearing a rivalry with anyone in the east so I like the arrangement as is.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Scheduling strategy going forward for Sun Belt starting in 2018:

Two 5-team divisions with a conference championship game between division champs.
West is TXST, Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, and South Alabama.
East is Troy, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal, and App State.
You will play the teams within your division every season, 2 home and 2 away. So we will play Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, and South Alabama every season for the foreseeable future.
They will continue with an 8-game conference schedule. You will play 4 of 5 teams from the other division every season, 2 home and 2 away, with the team you don't play rotating every season. We don't play Coastal in 2018 or Georgia Southern in 2019.
There will not be any permanent cross-divisional rivalries with the exception of USA and Troy who will play every season despite being in separate divisions. That will invariably cause some scheduling imbalances without everyone having a permanent cross-division rival. Some conferences, like the SEC, have a permanent cross-division rival for that purpose but we really don't have anything nearing a rivalry with anyone in the east so I like the arrangement as is.

Sounds good to me. Most of our teams right now are 2nd in the Sunbelt and see post season play. Football finish 2nd in the Sunbelt and get a decent reward. Maybe can finish first one day! :eatemup:

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 pm