TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five
https://twitter.com/RememberF5/status/891377034307526658

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five
I will gladly take the over.

Depending on how long QB williams is out? I put the over/under at 3.5.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

Well I have now turned on Withers. I now think he is a terrible coach and maybe we should look at letting him go right now. What do we have to lose? They have us picked to go 1-10. We are going to go beginning to end as the lowest FBS ranked team. There is no way Withers is back after a 1-10 season with no improvement even with Tice as AD. Hopefully we beat HBU. Otherwise Withers has done nothing good since beating Ohio last year (UIW doesn’t count). He has run off just about all of our good players. The only thing we had to look forward to this year was our QB from Miss State and our two all-conference players. Otherwise King is about our only other FBS Caliber player. I just don’t believe that all of these young men that Withers ran off were such hoodlums or bad players that they had to be released. If they were, then they should have better checked into and not recruited them in the first place. As we saw with Charlie Strong up the road, a choirboy football team doesn’t work. I agree the coach should have rules. But not excessive to where you lose all of your players and deter good players from coming here because the coach the coach is too hardass. Withers leadership, coaching and management style is not working. Contrast to UTSA Frank Wilson who were in a similar situation to us at the beginning of last year. He utilized what he had and made a bowl game last year. There is no way we are letting Withers go 1-10 this year with only a win against HBU and keep his job. We will probably go 1-10 with or without Williams. At least it would have been something to watch. I really believe this is already a dead deal and we should pull a Miss State and get rid of our ineffective coach now. He is not doing any good. See Avery Johnson when he was with the Mavericks as an example. I believe that discipline should be adherence to NCAA and to university rules but not excessive rules that micromanage a young man’s life on and off campus. We don’t micromanage any other scholarship recipients at our school (such as academic and Mitte Scholarships). If you get pulled over by the cops, that is our fault for recruiting you. Otherwise GET A FOOTBALL TEAM 1-10 IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT!

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This school is very unlikely to buy out three years. I am thinking they would rather only pay one maybe two if it is really really bad.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP -- Wilson's situation was way different. The season Larry Coker stepped down at UTSA, they only had 5 returning starters. When Wilson was hired, UTSA had 15 starters returning. Compare that to us where Fran had us go 3-9 with an experienced team, then we lost 45.2% of our lettermen heading into 16. Also, we play 12 games a year, not 11. So maybe some basic research would help before spewing off nonsense. And considering we had 3-4 players not named Elijiah King make All-SBC teams from numerous sources kinda goes against your statement about our talent level. So chill, stop talking out your ass, and let this season play out. And probably 2018 too.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

VP98 wrote:
He utilized what he had and made a bowl game last year.

Bingo.

If you are honest in an evaluation of our 2016 situation, Withers inherited a 7-5 squad that had key injuries the year before and made them go 3-9. A good coach, Wilson in this case, works with what he has and molds a team SLOWLY into where he wants it to go.

Going scorched earth on the roster in year one and emptying an already empty cupboard yourself is your own doing. You can't throw shade at the previous regime with "we inherited a 3-9 team and we looked like a 3-9 team." Yeah, that's a nice quote to give you a get out of jail free card year one, but now you own the product on the field in year two.

I actually really WANT Withers to succeed, but dang he sure is making it hard on himself with his own pride and hard-nosed demeanor.

Last year, I defended him quite a bit with fans and other media people when they asked me what the biggest issue I thought was. I kept saying "Well, he's practically a brand new coach (JMU not withstanding), we're going to see a lot of growing pains in how he coaches and handles the media."

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
VP98 wrote:
He utilized what he had and made a bowl game last year.

Bingo.

If you are honest in an evaluation of our 2016 situation, Withers inherited a 7-5 squad that had key injuries the year before and made them go 3-9. A good coach, Wilson in this case, works with what he has and molds a team SLOWLY into where he wants it to go.

Going scorched earth on the roster in year one and emptying an already empty cupboard yourself is your own doing. You can't throw shade at the previous regime with "we inherited a 3-9 team and we looked like a 3-9 team." Yeah, that's a nice quote to give you a get out of jail free card year one, but now you own the product on the field in year two.

I actually really WANT Withers to succeed, but dang he sure is making it hard on himself with his own pride and hard-nosed demeanor.

Last year, I defended him quite a bit with fans and other media people when they asked me what the biggest issue I thought was. I kept saying "Well, he's practically a brand new coach (JMU not withstanding), we're going to see a lot of growing pains in how he coaches and handles the media."

It's almost as if you didn't read my post.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
"

I could not think of any better time to go scorched earth than with a 3-9, empty cupboard team...especially in year one. Surely it could've been handled more gracefully, but his job is to improve a (consistent) dumpster fire of a football program. I'll ride with Withers until he does something that is legitimately harmful to the program. I'm tired of nice guy coaches that have a half-cocked vision. Withers has tunnel vision and I like it. The man has pulled in some of the best recruiting classes in our history with the garbage seasons we've had... that alone should buy him great favor from the fan-base.

On topic, I'll take the over on the 3.5 if Williams passes that GRE.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah we arent going to be world beaters or anything but we will win more than one game this year.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

As long as one of those wins are against UTSA.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'm surprised that anyone is upset or ready to fire someone at the beginning of the season because a poll comes out saying that we are going to win only 1 game after we only won 1 game the previous season. Turning now? Why now? because of the poll?

We had about the same amount of scholarships as an FCS team and those scholarships were freshman. So basically we were a freshman FCS team playing an FBS schedule. We started over and it will take a few seasons to see a return.

I typically wouldn't be willing to wait either if things were normal but because they aren't, I'm certainly not going to complain about a fire simply because someone predicts there is going to be one. Let's at least wait for the fire.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:47 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

for those people dreaming of beating utsa, remember this is the year that all those players from their first several classes become seniors. They have 27 seniors on their roster. Lots of thee guys are lineman.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
for those people dreaming of beating utsa, remember this is the year that all those players from their first several classes become seniors. They have 27 seniors on their roster. Lots of thee guys are lineman.

They're also picked to finish second in the CUSA West, and they're coming off a season in which they made a Bowl appearance.... . kinda like us in ...

wait ....

Never mind ....

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 am
SuperCat

Withers is full of excuses. If he can't win as many games as Fran did in our first year in FBS then I say it's pathetic, and the quicker we go in a new direction the better.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
Withers has done nothing good since beating Ohio

that's pretty fair so far... as taxman has said "it's been all smoke and mirrors" and that's fair specualtion for now but I think he has until conference starts in 2018 to completely own his W's and L's andif he has not put us in position at that point to get 8 regular season wins and a bowl victory then he's done nothing to rebuild the 2014 season

VP98 wrote:
I just don’t believe that all of these young men that Withers ran off were such hoodlums or bad players that they had to be released. If they were, then they should have better checked into and not recruited them in the first place

agree, you have to own your "judge of character" as a head coach... especially since the JMU fans have been warning us that the only thing he is good as is recruiting

VP98 wrote:
Contrast to UTSA Frank Wilson who were in a similar situation to us at the
beginning of last year

Withers may not have be in a similar position at the beginning of the season last year as Wilson at the beginning of last year but our squad should be similarly positioned now to how UTSA was positoned at the beginning of last season no doubt.....

VP98 wrote:
choirboy football team doesn’t work

I'm not sure how to answer this one.... but since the talent of the teams we play don't follow all the rules...we probably aren't going to beat those teams by all of our good players following every single minor rule

Disco77Stu77 wrote:
Withers is full of excuses

I can see how you feel that way...especially since at his introductory presser he stated that he wasn't patient, didn't expect fans to be either and he would turn the program around sooner rather than later and that we would see an exciting brand of football (neither of these have even started to happen yet and I would consider 'sooner' to be the middle of this season when we should really see him turn the corner)... he called San Mavelous a hidden gem hot recruiting bed so there's no excuse to have trouble getting a lot of the low 3***s on board... I'm with Saul-- if it turns out Withers' only strong point is recruiting then we should expect half or more of every recruiting class to be 3*** (12-17 of them)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 pm