TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five 
SuperCat

Post Re: TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five
Out of curiosity I looked up their depth chart for the Miss St. game. They had 9 of 11 upperclassmen on offense. 8 of 11 upperclassmen on defense.

Miss St had 6/11 on offense. 3 were WRs. QB and RB both sophs.

7/11 on defense

Experience wins again.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tx.state wrote:
Here is the number of upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) that started majority of the games for the AP top 15 schools last year:

Where did you get that information? I mean, if you went team by team, I tip my hat to you!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm
SuperCat

Doesn't take much to rile people up on this page. This is a Tweet. His opinion means nothing. He's not using massive amount of data, otherwise his judgement would be longer than 140 characters and be published in a respectable website.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
As I said before, I really disagree with Withers running off all of those players. Building a culture BULLSHIT! He's never even been anywhere long enough to build a culture. There is no time for his ego trip culture building. Make the best of what we have in the short time you are here before you are shown the door. I'll start thinking about who I want to coach our team.

Quote:
Withers says last season’s record didn’t surprise him. After going through the team’s off-season turnover, off the field issues and players not having a familiarity with each other, he was prepared for what unfolded.

“That’s why our roster is so young now is because we’ve eliminated a lot of the guys that don’t want to do the things that it takes to go and be successful,” Withers said.

The most drastic step Withers took to forming cohesion? He moved the whole team to one apartment complex at The Outpost before fall camp. Now that’s typical at most universities, but Texas State was the only program he’d been a part of that didn’t have the team mostly living together. It was a no-brainer for him to change that.

“When I got here and guys were living in apartments all over San Marcos, I was like I’d never seen that before,” Withers said. “That was unique to me and I don’t know how you grow a team atmosphere if you don’t live together as a football program.

“It’s hard to have responsibility and accountability to a person you don’t know.”

Players like senior receiver Tyler Watts and senior linebacker Easy Anyama originally weren’t sure how that’d work out logistically. Sherman admitted that he was hesitant because he liked his old apartment set-up.

But unanimously, it’s seen as the biggest game-changer. Players are more accountable for one another now and hang out with each other in their spare time. Although for right now, most of them sleep in their spare time after practice sessions in triple-digit heat.

“Now it’s just like, you leave your apartment to take your trash out and you see one of the linebackers,” Sherman said. “That’s Bryan London going to take the trash out, it’s like, ‘Sup bro, you taking your water, staying hydrated?’”

Quote:
Watts, on the other hand, recalled a team meeting last year in which Withers asked a player on one side of the room if he could name a certain teammate on the other side of the room. He couldn’t.

“I don’t know if he had just gotten on the team or what, but that kind of opened my eyes personally and I’m sure his as well,” Watts said. “We didn’t even know each other that well, which is crazy. We’ve been really focusing on that, getting chemistry going. We always talk about love in the offensive room, just love and trusting each other. Obviously, that comes with growth and knowing each other as well.”

As evidenced by Watts’ relationship with McCray and Anyama’s relationship with co-offensive coordinator Zak Kuhr, players and coaches cross the opposite side of the ball. Anyama never talked with offensive assistants until Kuhr arrived in the spring. McCray pointed at the co-offensive coordinator’s arrival as a big turning point in player-coach relationships.

“Let’s say there’s somebody you see every day and you’re on a ‘hello’ basis and you never introduce yourself,” McCray said. “Then you two have to go perform a common goal and never know each other. How well is that common goal going to exist? It doesn’t.

“You have to know the people. You don’t have to like everybody, but you have to know who they are. You have to care about them.”

https://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports- ... -fall-camp

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 pm
True Bobcat Fan

That article reminds me why I liked Withers and give him a chance. It is easy to want immediate results but this program has been average or below for decades aside for one of two seasons. It isn't going to change overnight or in a year or two.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Wow. That is really interesting about players actually not knowing names. It is a little thing, but it really sums up what seems like a fundamental issue that goes back years with this team. It has certainly manifested itself in on-field cohesion, communication & accountability.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 am