TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: TXST predicted to go 1-11 by Forgotten Five
I think VP98 might be 98 and so he needs a winner now before he dies. I just want a respectable product for now. Building a team and a consistent winner takes time when our mediocre culture has been built up over the past 35 years. I'm friggen ecstatic and have been apart of programs that he is creating. It works and the best part is that parents want their kids to be a part of programs like this. The recruits will come.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
I think it is coddling because many on this board were harder on coaches like Fran, Wright, and DeBesse who all had much better records and showed much better results that Withers has showed. DeBesse brought Spergon Wynn with him and delivered my first winning (7-4) 2000 season as a Bobcat. Wright took our team to the playoffs, and Fran delivered two 6+ win seasons. Withers could very well finish this season with a grand total of one FBS win with us under his belt. I realize there are different divisions involved here. Those other coaches made the best they could with what they had and had some success and we roasted them while giving Withers a pass.

Did we "roast" all these coaches after year one like you are doing? I doubt it. Wright left Fran with just 3-4 OL ship players. Sounds like a winner. Fran also seemed to lose the team as those last few games were now worse than last year's team.

I'm fine with you not be happy with where we are. I'd say none of us are happy to see this happen but some of us rather give the guy more than one season before we "roast" him. I'm pretty sure DeBesse, Wright, and Fran got 3-4 years... why you not willing to give Withers a year 2 and 3?

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
I think it is coddling because many on this board were harder on coaches like Fran, Wright, and DeBesse who all had much better records and showed much better results that Withers has showed.

You're looking past year 1 for those coaches though. I'm not gonna speak for Debesse cause I started following TXST during Bailiff's tenure, but:

Wright inherited a better situation than Fran or Withers. He took over for Bailiff who was lured away due to the success he had at TXST, Fran and Withers took over for fired coaches.

Wright went 4-7 in his first season. Lowlights included putting up 3 points against South Dakota State, getting 63 put on us by Central Arkansas, getting 52 put on us by Nicholls State, and let's not forget the 18 point loss to a division 2 team in the 2nd game of the season.

Fran didn't inherit as good a situation as Wright BUT took over a team that had announced it was moving to FBS, so got to play with 11 scholarships more than every other team on the schedule aside from Texas Tech and Wyoming who beat us by a combined 95-20. Despite the scholarship advantage we still only went 4-4 against Southland teams and only beat our D2 opponent by 10, who we had 38 more scholarships than.

I'd say all 3 of our most current hires underachieved in year 1, I'd also say it's foolish to give up on a coach after year 1 unless you see something extremely telling. In my opinion there's more positive benefit to taking some relative short term pain if it can change the culture of this program into one where losing isn't the norm. Maybe we could have won 3 or 4 games last year if we didn't turn so much of the roster over immediately, but I'm expecting a bigger long-term gain from what Withers is trying to do. We can't continue down the same path though. Or we'll be sitting here in 2020 having the same conversation about the next first year coach after they have yet another bad year 1.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
I'd say all 3 of our most current hires underachieved in year 1,

I gotta think that both Fran & Withers knew there was no chance they were getting fired after year 1 (in part due to our lack of OVERALL success of the past 30 years, and in part to their knowledge of our financial situation where it's just not something we can afford), and as such, used it to just see what they had.

I really do think both of them had zero care about the record in year 1.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
Well I have now turned on Withers. I now think he is a terrible coach and maybe we should look at letting him go right now. What do we have to lose? They have us picked to go 1-10.

Just now? Based on a pre-season poll?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Dogstar wrote:
VP98 wrote:
Well I have now turned on Withers. I now think he is a terrible coach and maybe we should look at letting him go right now. What do we have to lose? They have us picked to go 1-10.

Just now? Based on a pre-season poll?

To add to Dogstar's post:

After having the highest ranked recruiting class in the Sun Belt?
After the preseason poll for a conference that no major media outlets pay any attention to?
Before we even play a game this season?

I dunno, sounds premature.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
I really disagree with Withers running off all of those players. Building a culture BULLSHIT! He's never even been anywhere long enough to build a culture. There is no time for his ego trip culture building.

iowa state last 4 years: 3-9, 2-10, 3-9, 3-9
iowa state this year: 6-2 w/ 2 wins over top 5 teams and currently ranked 14. first time ranked in 12 years, highest ranking in 15 years. why?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 am
Junior Bobcat

Beat the prediction btw

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

since we don't have much of anything to root for this season it's time for fran twinky's transitive property of boobcat football.

ccu beat umass
umass is beating ole traitor bret elliott and nick fitzgerald
so txst > miss st

suck it elliott more productive offense without you

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:06 pm