Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Practice Reports 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Posts: 2943
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
TheRevSWT wrote:
In general, I have REALLY liked all the hype videos they put out.

But this one I didn't like (purely personal opinion)... That effect they used made me want to smack the guy that used it.


Ugh, yeah, that was terrible.

Am I missing a link to the first practice video?

_________________
I've never let my schooling interfere with my education.--Mark Twain

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.


Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 6201
Location: Cedar Park
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Underdog Dynasty report on the first day of practice. Sorry for more doom and gloom but saw this pop up on my facebook feed and didn't see it anywhere else here on the forum so thought I'd just share:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/7/ ... s-sun-belt

_________________
Trust the Path


Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 619
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
SWCroundup.com Articles

Season Preview:
https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/7/25/season-preview-can-texas-state-start-digging-themselves-out-in-2017

Quarterback Options:
https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/8/2/film-study-analyzing-texas-states-other-quarterback-options


Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 6225
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
I have heard Williams may be an issue with his classes or grades transferring and they are working through it


Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 311
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
slycat wrote:
I have heard Williams may be an issue with his classes or grades transferring and they are working through it


I gather from Keff's and Ishmael's tweets that Williams took prerequisites to get into grad school in the spring. He either didn't take the GRE when he was supposed to or didn't get a qualifying score. One of them tweeted that coaches are confident that he will get the score he needs.

As for tonight's practice, Ish reporting that Jones worked with one's and threw a deep ball.
https://twitter.com/IshmaelRJohnson/sta ... 6217798656.

Also according to Ish
https://twitter.com/IshmaelRJohnson/sta ... 6740276225

Coach McCray's FB report-starts about 3 minutes in
https://www.facebook.com/TXStateBobcats ... 461489424/

_________________
"And until you have gone out there and proven it and done something, it’s best to kind of keep your mouth shut sometimes.” Keith Brooking


Last edited by mahidibal on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5984
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Coach McCray about to go live on FB. I'll try to take notes.


Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:23 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14245
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
mahidibal wrote:
As for tonight's practice, Ish reporting that Jones worked with one's and threw a deep ball.
https://twitter.com/IshmaelRJohnson/sta ... 6217798656.


I know it's just a turn of the word, but I cracked up when I read "and threw A deep ball", like it was the only one we've ever done.

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:33 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5984
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Whew he talks fast

First group are all starters from or played last year. They're fast, quick to make adjustments, flying to the ball, had a lot of take aways. Bigger up front with Awad.
Davis up to 265/70
Mitte up to 280

LBs are confident. OLBs are looking good. Anyama just as fast as ever and they're taking it easy with him. Griffith improving.

S - need more focus on technical aspects
Dimery & Newman looking better

they have installed 3/4 of the D and expect to have it all installed by mid week, next week. Learning curve for new guys rough but they will get there.

CB - Waddy most improved
Rodgers - looks good and has potential - was a QB in HS.
Roach - making good progress
Anike - needs to focus more on fundamentals. Had 2 go over his head.


Last edited by CatMom on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 837
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Thanks for info CatMom!

https://www.facebook.com/TXStateBobcats/

I just love Coach McCray's style and attitude... he's a football coach all around. You were right... Davis is up to 265-270!

In general, that is what I'm used to in a 3-4 D where you have a bigger NT (290-300+), DT (Big DE is what my basic knowledge of position name) at 275-300, and a DE 270-280 over the time I've watched 34Ds but that was 10 plus years ago when teams still ran ball out of eye or straight up option. In today's game, I'm quite sure there are adjustments but Coach McCray did state the obvious... we need to be bigger up front (which he notes we are) to be effective and allow LBs to make plays.

I'd like to know if Banks (240) or Hines (225) has gained any additional weight since spring/summer.


Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5969
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
I feel pretty good about the defense from a personnel standpoint, other than safety.

DL is a perpetual concern at TXST it seems, but if those guys have put on that much weight, they should at least have a chance to make some plays. We had no chance last year as undersized as we were across the DL. Nobody else behind them had a chance either except the MLBs that had to clean up the mess. If the DL improves across the board, the secondary should look much better as a result.

LB probably the best group on the entire team and it's good to hear London and Loyd playing with a ton of confidence. They should be after last year and if the DL can do their part this year those guys should be able to make all kinds of plays. Good to hear Anyama coming along from his Achilles injury. Saw a pic of him last week and he looks good. Guy has great size and is blazing fast, really hoping he can stay healthy this year. Good to hear Griffith coming along also.

I feel pretty good about CB. I was surprised McCray didn't mention Eastling or Taylor in the video. Hopefully those guys are off to a good start. Reports keep sounding like Waddy is a likely starter as of this point, nice to hear how improved he has been. He improved greatly over the course of last season also I remember. Rodgers and Roach are true freshman that should immediately compete. Ish said Rodgers was making all kinds of plays and CB is new to him as a HS QB.

Safety is my concern and the McCray video validates that concern. No mention of Tiggs, who didn't have a great 2016 in my opinion. Krawcyz is still running with the 1s. I have a feeling that's more cause we don't have someone behind him yet to surpass him and not him really excelling. He quickly mentioned Stephan Johnson but nothing of note. I'm really, really hoping Dimery and Newman can quickly adjust to college ball and contribute immediately. I feel we need help at safety and if the DL can't improve their pass rush as much as we hope it could get ugly.

Overall, I'm feeling very optimistic the defense should be much improved over last year. Really nowhere to go but up though. DL will have to stay healthy as I'm sure we don't have a ton of depth there.


Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 837
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
x wrote:
I feel pretty good about the defense from a personnel standpoint, other than safety.

DL is a perpetual concern at TXST it seems, but if those guys have put on that much weight, they should at least have a chance to make some plays. We had no chance last year as undersized as we were across the DL. Nobody else behind them had a chance either except the MLBs that had to clean up the mess. If the DL improves across the board, the secondary should look much better as a result.

LB probably the best group on the entire team and it's good to hear London and Loyd playing with a ton of confidence. They should be after last year and if the DL can do their part this year those guys should be able to make all kinds of plays. Good to hear Anyama coming along from his Achilles injury. Saw a pic of him last week and he looks good. Guy has great size and is blazing fast, really hoping he can stay healthy this year. Good to hear Griffith coming along also.

I feel pretty good about CB. I was surprised McCray didn't mention Eastling or Taylor in the video. Hopefully those guys are off to a good start. Reports keep sounding like Waddy is a likely starter as of this point, nice to hear how improved he has been. He improved greatly over the course of last season also I remember. Rodgers and Roach are true freshman that should immediately compete. Ish said Rodgers was making all kinds of plays and CB is new to him as a HS QB.

Safety is my concern and the McCray video validates that concern. No mention of Tiggs, who didn't have a great 2016 in my opinion. Krawcyz is still running with the 1s. I have a feeling that's more cause we don't have someone behind him yet to surpass him and not him really excelling. He quickly mentioned Stephan Johnson but nothing of note. I'm really, really hoping Dimery and Newman can quickly adjust to college ball and contribute immediately. I feel we need help at safety and if the DL can't improve their pass rush as much as we hope it could get ugly.

Overall, I'm feeling very optimistic the defense should be much improved over last year. Really nowhere to go but up though. DL will have to stay healthy as I'm sure we don't have a ton of depth there.


X... I like how you are positive on our D because no matter how I see the offense (with Damian Williams, Freshmen QB, and/or much improved OL), the only way we get Ws is our defense wins more than they lose be it turnovers, 3 and outs, or short yardage Ws. The defense will be leaned on to win games and while we are still young, it is what it is. They need to be the side of the ball that keeps us in games.

Agree with many of the things but I'm not sure why he said Griffith when its Frankie Griffin. I'm still having a hard time believing Banks (current weight 240) and Hines (current weight 225) can back up Davis (270ish per McCray) at DE. I hope they have either gotten bigger or only in certain game situations will they be used. This may be a way to utilize say Hines as a OLB/DE in certain situations but I'm not sure. All I do know is we need to get some pressure with only having to rush 4 guys in order to allow defense to stay in zones for a short amount of time.


Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5984
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Bobkat34 wrote:
X... I like how you are positive on our D because no matter how I see the offense (with Damian Williams, Freshmen QB, and/or much improved OL), the only way we get Ws is our defense wins more than they lose be it turnovers, 3 and outs, or short yardage Ws. The defense will be leaned on to win games and while we are still young, it is what it is. They need to be the side of the ball that keeps us in games.

Agree with many of the things but I'm not sure why he said Griffith when its Frankie Griffin. I'm still having a hard time believing Banks (current weight 240) and Hines (current weight 225) can back up Davis (270ish per McCray) at DE. I hope they have either gotten bigger or only in certain game situations will they be used. This may be a way to utilize say Hines as a OLB/DE in certain situations but I'm not sure. All I do know is we need to get some pressure with only having to rush 4 guys in order to allow defense to stay in zones for a short amount of time.

That's probably me. I have a slight ear infection. I heard Samuel Watts from Withers when he said Sami Awad. Then I thought McCray say George when he said Jordan; which I added later because I had no idea who he meant. I likely heard Griffith for Griffin. :?


Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 837
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
I think Coach McCray did say Griffith.


Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 311
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
Coach's comments from practice #6

https://www.facebook.com/TXStateBobcats ... IMwbrQczuM

_________________
"And until you have gone out there and proven it and done something, it’s best to kind of keep your mouth shut sometimes.” Keith Brooking


Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5969
Reply with quote
Post Re: Pratice Reports
You can tell by his interviews that Withers is a bit more confident in the players this year vs. last.

Few observations of mine on a few positions he touched on:

QB:
He didn't come out and say it, but it sounds like Willie Jones III is leading the pack of freshman right now. Reports are he's playing with the 1s right now and you can tell Withers really likes him. Gipson with the 2s and Nelson with the 3s. Probably a matter of time before Nelson ends up at another position but with D. Williams out for the foreseeable future and Kishawn Kelly still recovering from shoulder surgery we need him at QB for now.

CB:
Kordell Rodgers is going to get plenty of opportunities to play as a true freshman. His name just keeps coming up. Anthony JT Taylor out and may not be ready by the season opener. Eastling not 100% either with an ankle injury. Waddy probably a starter I think with the other one up for grabs with Eastling, Rodgers, and Kieston Roach competing for the other side if Taylor is out.

S:
I keep hoping to hear rave reviews for Dimery and/or Newman. Still think we need help back there. S Johnson, Tiggs, Krawczyk, Dimery, and Newman battling it out.


Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:43 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group