Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Practice Reports 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Pratice Reports
Quick questions:

1. Where did you get that interview?
2. Super happy that Awad officially cleared.
3. Isn't Damian Williams the Grad transfer that was going to be our QB???
4. Hate to hear that about Tutt. I know taxman was really high on him, and I was intrigued at least.
5. Sucks about Mayberry... Hopefully he is going elsewhere to play, cause I liked the kid. And if he left for PT, that is great, because that means our others are performing better.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Quick questions:

Here is the interview
https://youtu.be/fsP0PtN1X-Q

Last edited by ThunderCat on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Quick questions:

2. Super happy that Awad officially cleared.
3. Isn't Damian Williams the Grad transfer that was going to be our QB???
4. Hate to hear that about Tutt. I know taxman was really high on him, and I was intrigued at least.
5. Sucks about Mayberry... Hopefully he is going elsewhere to play, cause I liked the kid. And if he left for PT, that is great, because that means our others are performing better.

1. Texas State Athletics Facebook page had the interview/Q&A, live, after practice this morning. It was at about 11:30. I jotted stuff down.

3. Yes

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Fuck this shit. Every step forward is two steps back into a pile a crap. And I honestly can't even remember the last time this program took a step forward.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

How many years did Withers get? 5? No way he gets an extension. Who am I kidding LT is the AD.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

CatMom wrote:
Also

Confirmed 31% of roster are freshmen
QB (Fr) Keshawn Kelly recovering from shoulder surgery
QB (FR) Jaylin Nelson showed well for 1st practice. Withers said he was recruited as a QB. May see a little time at RB but not much.
QB (Fr) Willlie Jones III also had a good 1st practice
So, 5 QBs left on roster. 4 Fr (1 RS), 1 Soph

Think I need to restock the liquor cabinet. :lol:

1 win season here we come. Funny how we became the worst team in FBS and find ways to get even worse.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was just as shocked as you guys/ladies were.

Lets take a look at this as rational as we can and believe you me, its difficult.

1. TV Williams never did anything we ever heard of that was good. His name never came up for anything including spring practices. What did we lose? Based on spring/summer depth chart, nothing worth crying about other than an ship. SEC guy that never had it is what I'd call him.

2. Stedman Mayberry. He didn't start last season as the #1 as his competition was with a walk-on JC RB competing against him. As the season continued, he seemed like the only effective RB with a very, very ineffective OL. Almost as if he was the only option because he could make defenders miss but he also danced too much. The rest of our RBs last season were not as athletic and fast so they struggled (JC RB, Sr RB). If we are to expect a better running game, it was noted a few times on here by Withers is he wants North/South runners and not lateral runners ala Mayberry.

3. Damian Williams. He's the one that hurts compared to the others as we heard so many good thing about him from his competitive nature, his help in recruiting (Lanza too), and his work ethic. Also, how he would help the young players come along. Now, we've likely lost all of those positives. You can hope he'll be back but I'm quite certain he won't be.

So what now: Well, we do what any other team does with no experienced QBs... you go young and have "patience" that Withers commented at Sun Belt Conference. In some ways, one can argue that going younger sooner allows us to get better or figure out who are future QB is now rather than later. This QB will grow into position for the next 3-4 years with a heavy sophomore/freshmen group. Like Tyler Jones that had 2 bowl seasons (6-6 and 7-5) under Fran. If we would have waited another year allowing Tyler Arndt his senior year, we would have possibly not had 2 bowl eligible seasons.

If you are going to hold players accountable, these are the things that happen. Many other schools don't do that. Louisville just dropped a starting DT from the team for "violating team rules".

I had calculated we had about 74-75 ships with Pesa, Mayes, TV Williams, Mayberry, Williams and Gjemar Daniels (if true he's not yet eligible). With these guys gone, we are closer to 68 that we had last season. Not great but we likely have more players that will play compared to last season (more freshmen and redshirt freshmen).

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

some of y'all need to chill the hell out. wait til the sky actually falls before you start running around w/ your head cut off. feel free to borrow some weed from your kid.

damian williams is the only loss today, and we don't even know how long that will be for. my guess is not very.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Can't believe I'm about to be the sunshine pumper to this show:

1. Jones III and Gipson give us a good set of Freshmen at QB, and I'd expect WJIII to win the starting job, better accuracy and arm.

2. Mayberry hurts, but I always felt Anthony Taylor (RB) was our best every-down back. Tutt will be missed and could have been an Alvin Cannady type of change of pace back,

3. Never saw TV Williams step on the field so we lost nothing, and with King, Mason Hays, Eric Luna and Gabe Schrade, whomever steps under center has plenty of weapons to throw to.

4. Our offensive line will be our achilles heel, which means having a FR QB who can run is actually to our advantage because he will do one read and take off running. Know who that worked out really well at times for Texas State? Barrick Nealy (and yes, one of the two Freshmen QB's I mentioned above have the potential to be as good as Nealy).

5. I still think anything more than one win will be a success for this team, what we need to focus on is improvement from the coaching perspective, not the player development. Coaches need to stop being outcoached after the first quarter of games (three or more times we jumped out to a good lead last year and then got blown out after other teams adjusted).

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Coaches need to stop being outcoached after the first quarter of games (three or more times we jumped out to a good lead last year and then got blown out after other teams adjusted).

gast, ulm & ???

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agree with taxman except for the getting out coached part.

The reason we were able to get a few leads last year was because of coaching and game planning. We were physically out matched at every position last year and had the worst depth of any FBS team.

I will say it is becoming very tiring to see the number of players exiting the program for various reasons. I can't judge because we never seem to find out exactly why these players leave or are dismissed.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm still of the mind that Withers took last season like Fran took his first year... Who TF cares (their mindset, not mine).

I am REALLY hopeful Awad is as good as I really hope he will be. That (as well as some improved depth on the entire DL) will be the best thing we have.

I'm hopeful that QB Williams being suspended (or whatever terminology you want to use) is for a short period, because I really would rather have someone with starting experience start under center at least through OOC.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:50 pm
SuperCat

Bobkat34 wrote:
Like Tyler Jones that had 2 bowl seasons (6-6 and 7-5) under Fran. If we would have waited another year allowing Tyler Arndt his senior year, we would have possibly not had 2 bowl eligible seasons.

If you are going to hold players accountable, these are the things that happen. Many other schools don't do that. Louisville just dropped a starting DT from the team for "violating team rules".

I had calculated we had about 74-75 ships with Pesa, Mayes, TV Williams, Mayberry, Williams and Gjemar Daniels (if true he's not yet eligible). With these guys gone, we are closer to 68 that we had last season. Not great but we likely have more players that will play compared to last season (more freshmen and redshirt freshmen)

first off while you might think TJ was responsible for helping us get to 6-6 and 7-5 he was just as arguably responsible in 2014 for blowing the game against Illinois via pick 6 as well as USA and then the shortcomings with his pick 6 on the goaline when we were getting ready to score what would have ultimately won against georgia southern
do you guys realy not think a 10 win 2014 season wouldn't have been a huge game changer for recruiting today?

2nd of all let's not compare Louisville to Wither our team away ball
fun fact about Louisville...they can afford to get rid of all of their good players and still have good players left... we can't
they can afford to dispose of a lot of players and still not have the 20 scholarship defecit that we have and feels like it's going to plague us until 2030 at this point because every time we inch back to 85 Withers insists on going back to 65

Withers is the only coach I know that thinks he can go and compete FBS ball with an FCS scholarship squad

Here is an updated look after yesterday at the players we've lost by one way or another that would have still had elgibilty left this season and at least have been apart of our depth chart (argue what you want about which players were good and not good but one thing they would have created as depth):

Guidry III
McDowell
PJ Anderson
Mercer
Connor White
Mayberry
Will Trevillon
Karee Berry
Langi
Dhailon Phillips
Mackey
Hoskins
Copa
Schoenborn
Gunter
Bo Anderson
LG williams
Cody Casey
Uluocha
Beck
Kerry Walker Jr
Willie Williams
Gamble
Bowens
Tyler Tutt (likely out for an entire 2 seasons)
Printz
Worrell
TV Williams
Anthony Mayes
Kanu
Devin Williams
Javier Edwards
Readus
Boyd

who else?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
5. I still think anything more than one win will be a success for this team, what we need to focus on is improvement from the coaching perspective, not the player development. Coaches need to stop being outcoached after the first quarter of games (three or more times we jumped out to a good lead last year and then got blown out after other teams adjusted).

Ummm... two wins is still a dismal failure by any measure. So is three wins or four wins, for that matter. I could call five wins "progress," though even that pains me.

I don't recall us getting outcoached much last year. What I saw was a good game plan in most cases, just with too few options to adapt/modify as the game progressed due to player personnel limitations. I don't consider that an excuse, but that was my observation.

All of this instability in player personnel, coupled with the instability with coaching personnel, is making me tremendously nervous. I don't feel good at all about this season... not a single shred of optimism. I was willing to tolerate last season's complete write-off, but that was with the understanding of meaningful progress this season.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 am
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Coaches need to stop being outcoached after the first quarter of games (three or more times we jumped out to a good lead last year and then got blown out after other teams adjusted).

gast, ulm & ???

Not a good lead, but we had signs of life when Idaho came to town

As for Taxman saying we got out-coached, that's laughable. We lacked the personnel to do anything.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next