What can we truly expect from this year's team (not record) 
True Bobcat Fan

Post What can we truly expect from this year's team (not record)
So I thought about this and figured instead of just posting a bunch of stats alone that don't tell the entire story. So instead I thought to go back and see the press luncheon’s after the game to evaluate Coach Withers’ comments by position or specific weaknesses that he saw.

Videos found here: https://youtu.be/2xZIa8jiSZ8?list=PL31DE499F5924B9D4

Press Luncheon Sept. 13 after Ohio game (1 idle week after)
-Played 10 true freshmen and 23 guys that never took a snap before
-Overall wants continued improvement (not as much on concerns this week)

Luncheon Sept. 20 after Arkansas game
-Must do better on OL
-Aaron is playing better
-Must get better at Safety
-Good job on covering punts and kickoff coverage
-began talking about letting young players play now and make mistakes

Luncheon Sept. 27 after Houston game
-Lost Anyama to injury (big loss)
-improved on OL assignment blocking (blocked right guys but not able to move them)
-Good on defense early
-We are not very good and shouldn’t underestimate anybody

Luncheon Oct. 4 after UIW game
-Discussed Word of the Week “Ownership” own your actions (how do you prepare, act/react, etc…)
-Wants players to grow up (even older guys)
-We are a work in progress and things to correct
-Winning Culture and he doesn’t see a buzz around the facility; where players watching tape…
-ownership is not where we want it to be yet
-Taking ownership in your job description and that is where we need to grow up
-No way a coach can get players fully ready with the 20 hour rule; kids must take ownership to get ready (either getting treatment or watching film); gotta grow as a program
-Still evaluating and challenging players for starting positions each practice

Luncheon Oct 12 after Georgia State game
-they competed (main positive)
-not a lot of focus in 2nd half
-noted some errors made, then team fell off
-OL and pass protection; not where we want to be and noted having 3 seniors
-noted QB pocket presence is not always good (moves out of pocket when there is no need to)
-Run game looked better but not where we need to be
-noted RBs not following blocks for positive plays (practiced that a long time but RBs didn’t do well)
-We are not close to where we want to be but there have been baby steps in right direction
-Griffin plays with speed that we (the team) don’t have (lack of team speed noted here)

Luncheon Oct. 18 after ULM game
-We got a young football team (moment can get to big for players)
-Punt block team made errors; punt returner (junior) does wrong thing and it led to a holding (youth and guys buying into your program)
-Guys that can’t do, won’t do it, or don’t know how to do it yet
-Some guys that can’t
-Some guys that won’t (not many)
-some can’t take the meeting to the field yet (young)
-Even noted ILBs didn’t play well this game from meeting (notes) to the game
-QB ran ball better (has to have a piece of the run game)

Luncheon after ULL game
-kept shooting ourselves in the foot offensively
-1st half defense battled and wore out in 2nd half
-Noted recruiting road this week and noted “red alert” to go find some players
-Practice all week
-Recruit the culture and “when you come in… you get what you get” and “you are what you put on tape”
-Trying to fix it
-Don’t think we have bad kids; we don’t have kids that are used to winning (few from winning programs)
-Must restructure this roster
-Dream about recruiting good players, good in classroom, good on practicing, good on field
-Notes kids are frustrated and want to win; don’t know how to win
-Some kids late to workouts in week 8!
-Leaders should be holding guys accountable and there aren’t enough (noted 16 seniors when directly asked about leadership)
-Wants to look at some young OL to see if they can help
-Trying to find somebody to pass you up in recruiting

Luncheon after bye week
-practiced more with young players
-evaluating the future

Luncheon Nov 11 after App. St. game
-blocked punt
-challenged coaches to play more young guys
-Aaron Brewer is right now our best OL
-telling about the OL and playing more young guys there
-noted playing the young OL so we can evaluate and be better going into next spring

Luncheon Nov. 15 after NMST. game
-Noted some players having good games
-Noted many with their effort
-overcoming bad plays and moving forward; not falling apart

Luncheon after following game
-defensively stopped run better this game
-recruiting is key

Biggest Take Aways:
-Leadership at every position needs to improve (learn how to win and hold teammates accountable)
-Execution must improve (from team meetings to practice to game day)
-Get in better shape (physically stronger in order to be more effective)
-Work ethic (classroom; weight room; game film; practice; film)
-Youth to experience (gotta play them to improve even going into 2017 season)

Does this mean we'll win more games if 3-4 of these things happen? Nope. It does not mean we'll be bowl eligible or win 5 games. Instead of guessing which games you or I think we'll win; how about looking at what things we need to see to be hopefully for future seasons.

Only way I see us win 5 games is we can run the ball effectively and score at minimum 35 points per game. I don't see that happening to allow the defense to take less reps a game. We aren't there, especially with lack of experience and so many more sophomores/freshmen than seniors/juniors.

Sorry so long... what else do we have to do.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: What can we truly expect from this year's team (not reco
To me (and this may be just me) if we get blown out because of better athletes this year, I'm ok. And I say it this way because I know that Fran left the cupboard rather bare (or the cupboards were bare after the purge). And I also recognize that being totally outclassed in talent can kill execution.

So the main things I am looking at are how the O-line plays and how the D-line plays. If those guys can be adequate, then execution will go up TREMENDOUSLY.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i have a quiet expectation for better offense overall. really like that we have a solid player at center for the 1st time in 3 or 4 years, and i'm a big believer that c is the most important spot on the ol. think the qb is a true fit for the offense and like that he's come from a bigtime program and wants to be the leader.

what does that mean in terms of wins? no clue. really just looking to see less 3&outs and a true identity (which i do think we saw some of last year).

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

what does that mean in terms of wins? no clue. really just looking to see less 3&outs and a true identity (which i do think we saw some of last year).

We'll look more like the 1st quarter of the Georgia St. game last year more consistently. Just listening to Withers talk after Ohio.. he knew that this wasn't gonna be a good season.

I mean he did say we weren't good enough to win a game last Spring.. but I always thought he undersold us. Nope. Just honest lol

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

On offense I expect us to move the ball better and keep the defense off the field as much as possible. I think its too early in the process to even be thinking about putting up points or red zone efficiency. Start with the small things. First downs and few turnovers. We can keep a lot of games close just by doing those things. Finding a way to run the ball will obviously help with both. My biggest frustration for years has been the OL run blocking. Really hoping to see some improvement there.

On defense, I really want to see some improvement from the front 7 stopping the run. We will likely be down in a lot of games which means teams will be running the ball a lot. Scores will be a lot closer if we can force them into third and longs. We played sooooo many really young guys on D last year. Hopefully they have improved and are growing into their positions.

In the stands, I hope that we can get a good atmosphere for at least the first 3 home games. First game of the year should be fun and we should win. Would love a good showing for UTSA as well. I have a feeling they will bring a crowd.

FWIW, Vegas has the line at 2.5 wins for us.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

All good points guys.

In general, I've liked to see many of our players getting bigger/stronger from Dean Taylor, Mittie, DE Davis, Hines, LBs Graham/Lewis/Coleman. I think the front seven has a great opportunity as long as depth is gained ala Pair and a Spare is good. We should have enough at every front 7 position with exception of 1-2 like DE.

I'd expect our special teams to improve with the likes of bigger sized players from OLBs/ILBs and even some of the DBs, possibly some freshmen too.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

A lot of lopsided blowouts. Again.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Beat utsa!! :shock:

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I personally think that our offense will be a lot better because Fran is gone. That guy was a cancer for the program who screwed players and this school.

My win is just to see us move forward and gain some respect from the teams and coaches we play against. I think our offense is what has the biggest chance to turn the corner. Looking forward to seeing if I'm right.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here is another question: Who else are you looking to step up or surprise?

Lets not pick obvious players like C Brewer, WR Morbley, TE Schrade, QB Williams on offense. Who else are you looking to step up or surprise?

I hope to see step up Mizerak at LT and Tutt come back from injury to claim RB spot. I hope to be surprised by WR TJ Bedford and Mayes at guard (need him to win spot in my opinion)

Same on defense with obvious players DE Mittie, ILB Loyd and London, OLB Anyama on defense. Who else are you looking to step up or surprise?

I hope to see step up OLB Hines into bigger role and CB Wadding claim a CB spot (need a taller CB to win a spot). I'd like to be surprised with Cavaeon Patton at DT and Awad at NT. Need more depth at positions.

By they way, Carlile is listed as OT and not OG (When York was committed, he noted Carlile would play OG; maybe things have changed).

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

some of the most dependable and fun players to watch since our the last glimmer of success (2008 season) most of these are even FCS recruits... but the things they would do for our 2017 season though

Iwuji
xavier daniels
bartu
mcCollough
curry
franks
Ijah
battle
chase harper
brad miller
gaines
best
orakpo
germod williams
odiari

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:

i'd love to see dean taylor have a breakout (of nowhere) year at de. we really need someone to step up on the dl, and it's been years since we've had anyone up front have a plus year.

on offense, schrade might be obvious because he's been pretty decent (for us), but i think he's capable of 50+ catches, and being the main receiving weapon. so i'll go w/ rushing jumping up and holding down the other end of the line to give legit mid-range help on both sides.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul, how do you think Schrade's ability compares to some of the better TE's we've had over the past decade (Harper,Miller,L.White)

also do you think Withers will continue to do what Fran did over his years and overuse passing plays to tight ends just because they are the most sizable target? I ask because it's thought that D. Williams has the ability to stretch the field vertically with his arm

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am
True Bobcat Fan

the only te we've had that was legit was miller. harper and white were underutilized w/ 28 and 8 catches ea. one might argue harper was better at de than te, even in his limited snaps there.

i don't think fran overused the te by any stretch - i'd argue the opposite. during his time here, the passing offense should have been built around miller. yes, he had the most catches in '14, but that offense wasn't focused on getting him the ball first, early and often. he always seemed to be an afterthought until 3rd down, and i think his single td vs 44 catches validates that a bit.

i like schrade because he seems to catch everything thrown his way. he seems to be able to get open and put himself in a position to make the play, even though he's a bit shorter/thicker than both the proto te, and the te we've had here the last couple of years. plus, he just seems like a good kid, so maybe i give him more love than he deserves.

if i were ranking those 4 in terms of ability: miller, schrade, harper, white
although harper had more god-given talent than all of them.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:

My uninformed guesses:

Offense:
Anthony D Taylor, Brendon Rushing, Jaren Watkins, and Mason Hays.

Defense:
Dean Taylor, Jordan Eastling, Hal Vinson, and Josh Newman.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm