2018: Roster updates, position changes 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018: Roster updates, position changes
man, the starting lineup isn't *terrible* in terms of youth, but the 2 deep is scary. the ol is like hostel, saw, and friday the 13th all in one...

starters: 5 sr, 8 jr, 5 so, 4 fr
2deep: 7sr, 10jr, 15so, 15fr

ol: fr-so-so-fr-jr
2: fr-fr-fr-so-fr

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

With all those that are mad/frustrated for the loss on Saturday, good to see that we aren't happy. We shouldn't be happy and to some degree frustrated.

That being said... I'd rather talk about what/which players will get opportunities with the current injuries to Anyama (maybe will play), Hays (out indefinitely, my guess may make it back by last 2 games MAYBE), Morbley (likely out for a few weeks), Dennis Johnson (same as Morbley), and DE Davis (biggest hit is here even with 3 WRs out due to depth at DE is less than WR by numbers).

Anyama Injury: Coming into this game, I was really hoping to see more Hines at OLB, especially after finding out Hal Vinson was injured but would play. I know he's put on about another 10lbs but I thought that made much more sense than moving Loyd to OLB in some situations. If Anyama is back, not an issue but if we hold him out again (I'm for holding until he's 90+% because we need him for season not one game)... I hope we consider our options here.

WR Injuries: Its pretty simple, freshmen need to step up and Luna may be given his opportunity to get reps here as well. Haydel has speed but is rail thin as is Tywford but this is a great opportunity for TJ Bedford with his size to come on and even Hutch White.

DE Injury: Losing Davis hurts because he would rush with some quickness and was strong enough to hold his position. Dean Taylor can do the latter but I don't think Taylor is beating anyone with his quickness (pass rushing concern). Next listed on 2-deep is Banks still listed a 240 so he is not likely an every day starter and same concern with Hines at 235. I'm wondering where Gjemar Daniels or Lilly are in the rotation (3rd or 4th options) at NT. If either is able to backup Awad, could Patton be the better option? I think so as he's relentless and has size to play DE. More of a DT but when we were already thin at DE, we need to find options. If not an option, we likely will see more of Lanza at backup DT with Taylor moved to DE but again depth at DE after Taylor is not very deep. Another way to recruit at position since we don't have 3 deep on DL.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
DE Injury: Losing Davis hurts because he would rush with some quickness and was strong enough to hold his position. Dean Taylor can do the latter but I don't think Taylor is beating anyone with his quickness

It's already been decided.. that's not a huge concern because Mittie, not Dean Taylor, is moving to DE. We could find out that Mittie is an equally good replacement for Davis at DE. Now the only issue is Dean Taylor may not be anywhere near as good of a DT as Mittie. Guess we'll find out about Taylor if Wyoming is able to drive a semi truck down the middle of the field over tackle and we'll find out if Mittie isn't as good at DE as Davis if this NFL prospect is not hurried on a single pass the whole night

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There isn't really a difference in DE and DT in this defense. One will move down to a 3 tech when we run a 4-man front, while the other slides out to a 5 tech. Most of the time, we run a 3-man front and they're both in a 4i tech.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
WR Injuries: Its pretty simple, freshmen need to step up and Luna may be given his opportunity to get reps here as well. Haydel has speed but is rail thin as is Tywford but this is a great opportunity for TJ Bedford with his size to come on and even Hutch White.

Luna, Haydel, Twyford will likely get more reps. White may be a starter going forward.
Withers was asked this question at the Monday press conference though and said Bedford isn't ready to play so don't expect to see him out there.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Good points all. Sad to hear Bedford is no ready but if you go back and look at his highlights, most were all deep passes with him using his height to go up and get it. Not many route running plays for him. Just the go deep and get it plays. Sounds like its work on route running needed.

I'm not too worried about who plays DE/DT as they are likely going to be big (Mittie, Taylor, Lanza) but I'm concerned with backups at both positions since Taylor is now moved to starter). We are not very deep on DL just like OL.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 am
True Bobcat Fan

roster note: burned gjemar daniels shirt vs arkst

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
roster note: burned gjemar daniels shirt vs arkst

Wow. He’s not on the participation report or stat sheet. With Pierce moving to DL and Lilly seeing time, seemed they were doing everything they could to not burn the redshirt.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

stlwildcats wrote:
Wow. He’s not on the participation report or stat sheet.

huh, you're right... i was just going off of ew's pc, and didn't doublecheck the box sccore, but definitely not on there.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
stlwildcats wrote:
Wow. He’s not on the participation report or stat sheet.

huh, you're right... i was just going off of ew's pc, and didn't doublecheck the box sccore, but definitely not on there.

I’m sure Withers is right. Sucks to have to burn his redshirt. Hopefully he logs a lot of snaps Saturday to at least make it worth it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Interesting if Daniels played but there are ways to play someone a game and keep their redshirt as Fran did it a few times but I believe he did it against DI-AA schools. Not sure how it works OR Withers is hoping that NCAA rule passes this coming year and can go back or "grandfather" student-athletes from this season. Not sure.

One thing Withers did say is expect to see players you have not seen much play this game. They want tape on them to better coach them but the question is whether he was talking about redshirts (doubtful) or just guys that have played special teams mostly be it more of RB Nelson, QB Jones, LB Brannon, DE Hines, many OL likely to play, TE Rushing, WR freshmen get more reps like Twyford and Haydel, and possibly some walk-ons that COULD earn a ship (considering we have up to 10-11 Withers noted we still would not be able to use for recruiting class in previous press conference 3-4 weeks ago but they could possibly be used on giving a walk-on or 2 a ship like say Hutch White or someone else deserving for work on practice squad or special teams) like Dennis Johnson Jr., or others that we haven't seen much.

I'd expect a ton of walk-on DL to get reps due to so many DL players out from Wilkins all season, Taylor still in Concussion protocol as is Patton, Lanza injured too so that leaves Mittie, Hines, Lilly, and Banks (not sure where he's at) available. Tons of walk-ons that will likely play and may play all over like LB, WR, OL, and CB (Farrar and Robinson have good size but are they good enough is the question).

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 am
SuperCat

Unless you get a medical waiver, one play in a game burns your season.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:

there is a rule up for approval this year that would allow coaches to play kids in the last couple of games and not burn their shirt. it's possible the rule will be approved and retroactively applied to this year.

personally i think it's an idiotic [proposed] rule, but whatever.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

But it will be good for the playoff system if/when it gets expanded.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
BobcatSideEye wrote:

there is a rule up for approval this year that would allow coaches to play kids in the last couple of games and not burn their shirt. it's possible the rule will be approved and retroactively applied to this year.

personally i think it's an idiotic [proposed] rule, but whatever.

That is an interesting tidbit. Thanks, and I agree!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 pm