Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2018: Roster updates, position changes 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018: Roster updates, position changes
Keff says Morbley has been practicing but has a sprained foot. Probably no need to see him vs HBU.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Depth chart released courtesy of Nick Castillo (new beat reporter for SMDR)

https://twitter.com/Nick_Castillo74/status/902307839091335170

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Looks like Lanza fell down the depth chart

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah, I saw that. As did Luna, though he and Morbley have been limited with minor injuries.

I'm not sure to feel that bad because that means we have some experienced 3rd players and we all know that things will change during the season be it from injuries or others stepping up. Remember, Alexcee came back in by game 3-4 while Stephan Johnson fell off.

I find it interesting on the OL with 2 true freshmen at LT but I'm not too surprised by rest of OL. Also, telling King is backing Mizerak at RT (not much depth after those 4 it seems). Somewhat surprised TE Rogers is 2nd because I never heard much about TEs.

On D, somewhat surprised on position of backup ILBs in Lewis backing Loyd and Daniels still backing London. I would have thought Lewis athleticism would serve better behind London but we'll see. Also, Aneke has a great opportunity to earn the spot. May not get this opportunity again so can he seize it. At safety, just 1 senior in 2-deep sad to say the least about 2 other seniors ousted by true freshmen and 1 walk-on earned ship WR.

Not too surprised at KR or PR. I'm expecting to see Rodgers get reps even at KR. He's too good an athlete to not get him the ball on offense when we can. Notice who is at holder. Not a QB but athletic WRs. Think that shouldn't be watched for trick plays?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'll do some brief observations before bobkat34 gets in depth (edit: too late....):

Offense:
The "or" makes me think it's pretty much a guarantee we see both Williams and Jones Saturday. Willing to bet we see Gipson in the 2nd half also if all goes to plan. Same with the RBs. Fully expect to see all 3 and probably Jaylin Nelson also.

As tx.state said, Morbley apparently has a bum ankle. Rest this weekend and get ready for Colorado if you can. No Luna either on the two-deep at WR. Wonder if he's fully healthy or not. Excited to see what Twyford and Bedford look like. And wow, Dennis Johnson really shot up the depth chart as a walk-on.

A bit surprised at Elijah Rogers at 2nd TE behind Schrade. Figured Rushing would be there.

OL...
Oh boy....
1 Jr, 3 So, and 6 Fr on the 2-deep. Hopefully Nic Foster can play cause he's got a big task getting thrown into the fire at LT as a true freshman. Brewer and Mizerak are solid and I'm expecting a nice year from Rowland. Little to no depth though it appears. Need the freshman to be able to contribute immediately and we desperately need to stay as healthy as possible here. A bit scary to finally look at on paper to me.

Defense:
Excited to see what I expect to be vast improvement across the DL. Also really excited to see Caeveon Patton. Heard he had a nice camp. No surprises at all personnel wise.

Our LBs could be nyasty if our DL can hold their own. It's the one position on the team we have both talent and depth at. All 4 starters are poised for big years. Really excited to watch this entire group.

I feel good at corner though I must say I'm surprised to see Aneke get the nod over Eastling. Anthony Taylor still out injured. He's a likely starter if healthy. A bit surprised to see Peace crack the two deep. Figured Roach would be there with Taylor out.

Safety is the scariest position on the defense. Kordell Rodgers was playing QB in HS 9 months ago, then was playing CB until two weeks ago, and has already overtaken Tiggs for the other safety spot. Neither starter has played a game at safety before. Rodgers has played the position all of two weeks and Krawczyk just switched to defense this spring after walking on and playing RB/WR his entire time here. I expect to see all 4 of them along with Josh Newman. I have a feeling the two-deep will be fluid at safety until we can settle on the top two guys and it may take a few games.

STs:
Ripley punting, Sherman kicking. Ok. Neither can punt near as well as Kaba could last year, but Ripley looked to be the better punter between he and Sherman. Ripley also looked to be the more accurate kicker last year, but Sherman certainly has the bigger leg.
Two true freshman returning kicks. Ok. Eastling returned a lot of kicks last year. I'm guessing (hoping?) Haydel and Twyford are upgrades.
Watts returning punts. Ok.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Unless I missed counted, there are only 5 seniors on the two deep and ten juniors on offense and defense. Very very young team.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

x... Haha.. .beat you barely!

The one I forgot to mention was Banks being backup to Davis. That somewhat surprises me. A guy that came in at 6'5/200lbs and took 2 years (redshirted 1st year) to get up to 212 and then last year was noted to have gained some and is now listed 240.

Photo of DL:
https://twitter.com/CoachMooring/status/899456194934386688
I'm hoping based on this photo that Banks is closer to 260 based on all the players gaining weight this offseason because just by the photo he doesn't look any smaller than Dean Taylor (285) or Davis (McCray said he's up to 270) standing next to him. If he's 260, that totally changes my concerns of him holding up. If not, still concerned of a 240lb DE in 34D.

TE as well was somewhat of a surprise for me. Not because I expect Rushing to be there but that we didn't hear much about Rogers and there he is. My guess is when they signed him they knew he fit better than either French (was injured often last season) and Rushing is still learning to play TE (in high school he always played out wide like a WR more so than a TE so my guess is his blocking is still something he's getting used to).

slycat...

I'm not surprised. Based on my spreadsheet of schollies (yeah, I'm that weird), I only had us with 11 ship players but when WR Luna was put on ship it put us at 12. From what I have, we have only 14 juniors (With TV Williams not on roster, we have 13 juniors now), then 19 sophomores and 27 freshmen on ship.

The first 2 seasons Sherman was at A&M (after Fran) he played a ton of freshmen and by their sophomore/junior years they had winning seasons (senior year didn't go as planned and led to Sherman's firing... didn't help they lost to UT in last game at home but even that season they were 6-6 and went bowling). My point is yes we are young but you play the talent over seniority. Just giving an example of playing underclassman early can help team in long term.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

so x,
your spreadsheet would reflect 71 total players on scholie?
12 seniors
13 juniors
19 spohs
27 freshman

thnx very much for this info

Last edited by Canaquedista Man on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Canaquedista Man wrote:
so x,
your records would reflect 71 total players on scholie?
12 fresh
13 sophs
19 jrs
27 srs

thnx very much for this info

We don't have 27 Seniors. We only have 12.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Also, I have no records and don't do any scholarship tracking. Bobkat maybe.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

so I corrected my post. not sure how I screwed that up so bad.
sorry

so x,
your spreadsheet would reflect 71 total players on scholie?
12 seniors
13 juniors
19 spohs
27 freshman

you know bobkat34?

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I posted my numbers there:

From what I have, we have only 14 juniors (With TV Williams not on roster, we have 13 juniors now), then 19 sophomores and 27 freshmen on ship. At one point it was at 75 but since we are not sure with TV Williams, JC OL Pesa and Anthony aren't here... we are at 73. Well 74 with K Ripley earning a scholarship.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

thnx

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

One day we will get back to 85

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Some day slycat...

Considering he brought in 8-9 PWOs, I'd say there is a few that may get an offer after a season. My guess would be on a DB or maybe a WR.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next