Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 2018: Roster updates, position changes 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: 2018: Roster updates, position changes
stlwildcats wrote:
lancer wrote:
Hays was listed as a senior in the Sun Belt media day roster, so we will have to see which end up being correct.

Nick Castillo tweeted Ish Davis and Mason Hays were granted an additional year. That is big for both WR and DL, especially DL. Only 7 players on scholarship who will run out of eligibility now I believe.

No one can say the NCAA isn't giving us all the help they can. To get one 6th year back is really hard (near impossible at times), now having the possibility of having three in one year is almost like finding a Unicorn hiding in a pack of unicorns.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Very true taximan, this is great news. Though I think about all the players who we lost in the first half of any given season and we maybe break even over time.

Historical early season ending injuries/concussions have cost us big that didn't get the extra eligibility time back that come to mind:
Easy Anyama, Mike Arakpo, Chris Nutall, LG Williams, lineman etc the list goes on

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

Nic Foster injury this year is a big one and could potentially be career ending?

For those that don't remember he started the first 10 games of the season last year at LT as a true freshman. Silver lining is he has a redshirt available to use this year and could return as a redshirt sophomore next year if he's able to continue playing.

I've re-watched the first 3 games of last year this week. Last year's starting OL for the first three games was Foster at LT (expected to miss 2018), Rowland at LG (expected to be at RT this year), Brewer at C (expected to be at LT this year), Jaquel Pierce at RG (expected to play DL this year), and Tryston Mizerak at RT (left the program with one year of eligibility remaining).

So we will essentially be returning two starters (3 if you consider Reece Jordan who was starting at C by years end), and both will be playing at a different spot on the OL.

is it just me or do we have a rather high level of position changes under the Withers staff?

Last edited by x on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/1027612269281038336

Players that will be at media day on Sunday:

Offense:
Aaron Brewer
Jacob Rowland
Tyler Watts
Hutch White
Willie Jones
Anthony D Taylor

Defense:
Ish Davis
Dean Taylor
Gavin Graham
Bryan London
Anthony J Taylor
Jashon Waddy
AJ Krawcyzk

Have to think all these guys are currently projected to start. Which tells me a few things.
- Willie likely still the frontrunner at QB
- Gavin Graham likely the other starter at ILB next to London (Griffin/Vinson at OLB is my guess)
- Anthony J Taylor possibly the other starter at CB. I like Rodgers on the other side. Makes sense as Taylor made some starts there last year.

I think the defense is taking shape nicely and could be pretty good this year.
NT - Taylor
DT/E - Patton
DE - Ish Davis
ILB - London/Graham
OLB - Griffin/Vinson
CB - Rodgers/Taylor
S - Waddy/Krawcyzk

I'm not as optimistic about the offense unfortunately. As my last post indicates, I'm worried about the OL still. Bad OL + young first year starter QB could be trouble. Hopefully the OL improves over last year and the QBs can be serviceable at worst.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7