Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2018: Roster updates, position changes 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018: Roster updates, position changes
So excited to see Hines moving back to LB!!!

https://twitter.com/Seven_era/status/956612038817734658
I wasn't sure if Hines was just happy to be back on field but when you go see Hines page, it says LB!!!

That is where he belongs! Vinson and Hines together is going to be fun to watch. Add Jakharious Smith! Getting deeper!

Need is still at ILB in this class.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Eric Mateos ‏@CoachMateos
2h2 hours ago
Love being back in San Marvelous watching our boys work. S/O to @foster3_nic for his grind. Came in June at 250, started as a fresh at 265, and is already up to 285. Gonna be a beast!

We started a 265 true freshmen RT last season! WOW! I know he wasn't huge coming in but I thought he'd be at 275ish last year. Nope.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

i realize the title of this thread is off by a year, but for 2018:

worth noting that bryan london graduated this weekend, with 2 years of eligibility remaining and a damn good resume to upgrade teams if he chooses.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul... I noticed too. I would think he would have left already or would not have participated this spring if he were leaving. Why risk injury in spring if he were planning to leave?

Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

just a dark thought that crossed my mind when i saw his posts on twitter about graduating in 3yrs. also wasn't mentioned in the ad pr about graduating players, but w/ our ad, who knows what has meaning and what is just poorly done? pretty sure he was sporting the athletics cord in his grad pics though.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Listened to Withers twice today. First his interview with Bill and Brant on KTSW then his press conference at media day.

Some guys he brought up in both segments that hint at some starters or heavy contributors.

QB:
Willie will get first reps when camp opens.
Gipson has looked good all spring and summer.
Three horse race with Willie, Gipson, and Vitt. Nothing we didn't already know.

RB:
Anthony Taylor first guy mentioned in both interviews.
Jaylin Nelson 2nd guy mentioned in both interviews. Wondering if he may be the #2 and jumped Robert Brown. Twyford mentioned in both interviews also. He's likely to get some carries with Anthony Smith out. Need at least 4 guys available at RB I'd think. Twyford actually mentioned and Brown not in the KTSW interview.

WR:
"The elite guy coming back for us is Tyler Watts"
I think it's safe to write Watts into the slot.
Mason Hays first outside receiver mentioned in both interviews. Other outside receiver mentioned in both interviews is TJ Bedford. Bedford will likely get ample opportunities his RS Freshman year.
Others mentioned: Hutch White, Twyford, Jeremiah Haydel. He also noted in both interviews we have "5 long and talented" freshman coming in that will compete.

OL:
Brewer and Rowland at OT. Jordan at C. No mention at OG.
Said ideally Brewer should be at C. If we get to a point where Brewer is playing C, the rest of the OL is in really good shape.

Don't remember discussing TE.

DL:
Starters sound pretty entrenched to me. Dean Taylor at NT and Caeveon Patton/ishmael Davis at DE.

LB:
London and Griffin are starters. Really don't remember anything else on LB. Vinson may have been mentioned? Talked more about this group as a unit then going into specifics on individuals.

CB:
This may be one of our weaker positions going into camp.
Sounds like the frontrunners are Kordell Rodgers and an incoming JUCO signee who he didn't name which would have to be Alvin Pacheco. That's a bit surprising considering he was listed as a safety at JUCO and we signed him in May. 3 months after signing day. No mention of anyone else at CB, but we have guys there with starting experience such as Anthony J. Taylor. I'm guessing some freshman will get plenty of opportunities to win this job like Tyrese Heard or Kieston Roach but that's just a guess.

S:
Starters are Krawcyk (always butcher this name, I'm sure I spelled it wrong) and Jashon Waddy, who is moving from S to CB. Mentioned Josh Newman and Preston Dimery in both interviews as well.

K:
James Sherman is back for his senior year, but open competition with Sherman and incoming freshman Kessler (didn't mention by name but implied)

P:
Freshman Clayton Stewart (didn't mention by name but implied)

Some info to hold Bobkat34 over and help him develop his depth charts which are probably pinned all over his bedroom walls...

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

At LB he mentioned in both interviews that Loyd was very good for us the past 2 years but that he's excited to see Lewis and Daniels play this year because they're quite a bit more athletic than Loyd was.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@Keff_C

Couple new names on the football roster: S Auston Deason and LB Jack Masters.

Both are c/o ‘18. Deason, 2-star out of Pearland, initially committed to #TXST in June 2017 before switching to #AirForce in Nov. Masters is out of McCallum HS in Austin.

looking forward to seeing what masters can do at this level. guy was a tackling machine for the knights.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:28 am
SuperCat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HaUifxwic

Sucks they aren’t expecting Nic Foster back anytime soon. This concussion thing may be a career ender. Expecting the OL to have some improvement but still a full year away from having the depth needed. Sounds like the juco Jemison will at least be in the rotation and has a good chance to start.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:49 am
SuperCat

Also, looks like Mason Hays was able to get a medical RS after his season ending injury last year. He is listed as a junior on the roster and his player page. Maybe it’s just an error on the roster. If it’s true, I believe that puts 8 scholarship seniors on the team this year. With ~76 on scholarship, they will easily be in the 80s and finally have a full roster in ‘19.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hays was listed as a senior in the Sun Belt media day roster, so we will have to see which end up being correct.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Listened to Withers twice today. First his interview with Bill and Brant on KTSW then his press conference at media day.

Some guys he brought up in both segments that hint at some starters or heavy contributors.

QB:
Willie will get first reps when camp opens.
Gipson has looked good all spring and summer.
Three horse race with Willie, Gipson, and Vitt. Nothing we didn't already know.

RB:
Anthony Taylor first guy mentioned in both interviews.
Jaylin Nelson 2nd guy mentioned in both interviews. Wondering if he may be the #2 and jumped Robert Brown. Twyford mentioned in both interviews also. He's likely to get some carries with Anthony Smith out. Need at least 4 guys available at RB I'd think. Twyford actually mentioned and Brown not in the KTSW interview.

WR:
"The elite guy coming back for us is Tyler Watts"
I think it's safe to write Watts into the slot.
Mason Hays first outside receiver mentioned in both interviews. Other outside receiver mentioned in both interviews is TJ Bedford. Bedford will likely get ample opportunities his RS Freshman year.
Others mentioned: Hutch White, Twyford, Jeremiah Haydel. He also noted in both interviews we have "5 long and talented" freshman coming in that will compete.

OL:
Brewer and Rowland at OT. Jordan at C. No mention at OG.
Said ideally Brewer should be at C. If we get to a point where Brewer is playing C, the rest of the OL is in really good shape.

Don't remember discussing TE.

DL:
Starters sound pretty entrenched to me. Dean Taylor at NT and Caeveon Patton/ishmael Davis at DE.

LB:
London and Griffin are starters. Really don't remember anything else on LB. Vinson may have been mentioned? Talked more about this group as a unit then going into specifics on individuals.

CB:
This may be one of our weaker positions going into camp.
Sounds like the frontrunners are Kordell Rodgers and an incoming JUCO signee who he didn't name which would have to be Alvin Pacheco. That's a bit surprising considering he was listed as a safety at JUCO and we signed him in May. 3 months after signing day. No mention of anyone else at CB, but we have guys there with starting experience such as Anthony J. Taylor. I'm guessing some freshman will get plenty of opportunities to win this job like Tyrese Heard or Kieston Roach but that's just a guess.

S:
Starters are Krawcyk (always butcher this name, I'm sure I spelled it wrong) and Jashon Waddy, who is moving from S to CB. Mentioned Josh Newman and Preston Dimery in both interviews as well.

K:
James Sherman is back for his senior year, but open competition with Sherman and incoming freshman Kessler (didn't mention by name but implied)

P:
Freshman Clayton Stewart (didn't mention by name but implied)

Some info to hold Bobkat34 over and help him develop his depth charts which are probably pinned all over his bedroom walls...

Thanks X for the update. I hadn't heard that Brewer to OT from Withers but I've been out of the country so I haven't heard much. I'm not surprised to see that IS Brewer's likely position starting camp because we MUST give our young QBs the best opportunity to get the ball off, especially Jones who has a long throwing motion (Gipson/Vitt seem to have quicker releases). If that is the case, gotta be Washington at 1 OG and the other is up for grabs. I did hear Withers say Jemison has a good chance to start so maybe they are hoping he beats out Rowland at RT and they can move Rowland back to RG and Washington to LG. Just a hunch.

I think if anyone from the incoming HS safety group has a chance to play CB, it would be Ladarious Anthony and/or Isaac Pope due to their speed and ability to make up ground. Remember, we are likely going to put more pressure on CBs to be out on an island in situations. That is not a strength of ANY of Fran CBs (yes,that includes Taylor/Waddy).

Funny you should ask about my lists. Here it is in no specific order (more like possible scenarios):

OL:
RT- Rowland; Jemison; Tachie;
RG- Rowland; Washington; Macadory/Momerelle
C- Jordan; Fryrear; Wilkins
LG- Washington; Heitmeier; Carlile; Macadory/Momerelle
LT - Brewer (based on your post); Moore/King

WR/TE:
WR- Hays; Hopkins; Aragon
WR- Watts; Haydel (I think he'd be better used inside with his speed); (Twyford); Sheread
WR- White; Bedford; Graham
TE- Rogers; Brown; Rushing; Lanam/Callouet

The rest seems pretty obvious from RBs to QBs (only 3-4 options).

DL:
DE- Davis; Smith; Lynch/Schaefer/Calvin
NT- Taylor; Awad; Daniels
DT- Patton; Pierce; Oyrinoaha; Ezidore
OLB/DE- Vinson; Hines; Brannon
ILB- London; Lewis
ILB- Daniels; Graham
OLB- Griffin; Coleman; Harris
CB- Taylor; Rodgers; Anthony
CB- Pacheco; Roach; Pope
SS- Krawcyzk; Newman; Withers
FS- Waddy; Dimery; Heard

I'm expecting this front 3 and/or hybrid 4 will cause some problems. Still say Hines is a OLB not a DE and we are wasting his ability at DE.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 pm
SuperCat

lancer wrote:
Hays was listed as a senior in the Sun Belt media day roster, so we will have to see which end up being correct.

Nick Castillo tweeted Ish Davis and Mason Hays were granted an additional year. That is big for both WR and DL, especially DL. Only 7 players on scholarship who will run out of eligibility now I believe.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Also, Frankie Griffin is applying for a 6th year.

He redshirted in 2014, then missed the entire 2015 season with injury. Would be big for the LB corps to get him back for another season also.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Jack seems to believe he has a good shot at getting that medical year back too.

However, Keff noted that odds are good we won't know until near the end of the season.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next