Coach Leaving for Boston College/NEW COACH FROM Gardner Webb 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Coach Leaving for Boston College/NEW COACH FROM Gardner Webb
From Football Scoop: Boston College: Texas State defensive line coach Antoine Smith has accepted a position at Boston College as director of football initiatives, source tells FootballScoop.

Last edited by bobcat88 on Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Coach Leaving for Boston College
His twitter picture and bio are now gone. Just after tweeting TXST related stuff 2 days ago. Wonder what happened. I know he was canned by Withers @ JMU. Then brought back when Oghabasse left for the 49ers.

Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not sure much can be said or assumed because by LT's post above... If that was the case, Mayes should have been fired immediately with how poorly the OL executed.

Without knowing anything, I'd assume this position opened up and BC interviewed and offered.

Either way, we are looking for a new DL coach... late. That is not a good thing but its better now than in ol' August.

Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I could be wrong, but I think that's a step down in role for Smith. DL coach is a better job than Director of Football Initiatives (basically a football ops guy), even if you're going to Boston College.

Tue May 23, 2017 8:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

GoGatos wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think that's a step down in role for Smith. DL coach is a better job than Director of Football Initiatives (basically a football ops guy), even if you're going to Boston College.

You could be right Go Gatos in regards to coaching positions but the $$$ is probably better than what we pay and if a coach is looking to move to administration, this is a good move. If not (administrative move), then it doesn't make sense.

If we don't have someone hired before June 1st (1st week of summer camps), then it was a surprise even to the coaching staff. We hired Smith quickly after the other guy left to Raiders.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

title might be a step down but the school/program is certainly better. he was making $80k here and bc is private so finding all their staff numbers is tough, but they spend WAY more than we do. $2.3m for addazio, $1.2 for their hockey hc and $1.1 for their hoops coach - only the hockey program wins and competes for titles.

i'm betting that this is a holding position. their dl coach is paul pasqualoni, who is coaching well below his level (former syracuse and uconn hc, dolphins and cowboys dc) and he changes jobs about every other year. there is also the looming 10th coaching position, and smith has history in ne, coaching at lafayette, holy cross and maine.

Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Looks like we are getting the d line coach from Gardner Webb.

Tue May 30, 2017 9:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Coach Leaving for Boston College/NEW COACH FROM Gardner
I saw that yesterday. I read his bio from Gardner Webb. Played a UNC with Julius Peppers. Has been in lower football division for most of his career so this is definitely a step up but if Coach McCray is any measure of what we'll get... its a win.

Best parts is he knows Coach McCray and what he preaches, knows a 34D as a coach, was a DL as a player, and has been a part of some good defenses.

Lets see if he can recruit and get some big fellas to San Marcos!

Wed May 31, 2017 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Lets see if he can recruit and get some big fellas to San Marcos!

size hadn't been an issue until the past season or 2...Fran had recruited some of the bigger kids in FBS... weight wise we had one of the 25 biggest O Lines in 2014/2015... I think that was the season...

we need speed size and talent...to be able to get all 3 when we've rarely been able to get kids that meet just one of those criterias is going to be tough

Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

he's talking about the defensive line, where we've always been tiny.

Wed May 31, 2017 5:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

also adding a ga who some may recall from his recruitment a couple of years back: Victor Irokansi

https://twitter.com/CoachVic_/status/868648086163378176
@CoachVic_
I'm excited to be joining @everett_withers staff at Texas State! And be apart of the CULTURE being built in San Marcos! #EatEmUpCats

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/former ... xas-state/

Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm