Real talk about CUSA SBC merger 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Real talk about CUSA SBC merger
Though it may be 2-4 years in the making at the earliest (and I know the idea has been thown around for too long for any of y'all to truly buy into it happening) but it seems this year's stipends and full cost of attendance have driven those who care about finances and solvency in the CUSA into some panic follwing last season

It suggests 2 scenarios could happen:

1) a full blown-merger in which some teams probably get left out for dead in the process
2) both conferences mix and mingle based on geography (which is probably the easiest) in which each conference probably waives the other conference's exit fees (hinted as the more likely scenario)

Two biggest obstacles:

1) getting university officials to put egos aside (the same egos that were stroked when they paid their nominal exit fees from SBC in the first place)
2) renegotiating bowl tie-ins and conference officials like Benson being put on the street (why would they agree on it if it puts their income in jeopardy?)

What's in it for the bobcats?
If Withers ever turns the curb to compete we could establish a real rivalry with Rice and North Texas, one that I would love

http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist ... abcf2.html

-Bill O'Brien

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Real talk about CUSA SBC merger
This idea is DOA.

Create a 28 team league OR split the two conferences into regional groups and create two 14 team leagues from that? Renegotiate TV and Bowl game contracts? Teams that left SBC for CUSA (at considerable cost) only to hear that they are going to join with those same SBC teams again? Egos of various University Presidents and AD's? Forget about it.

For example, consider the idea that Louisiana Tech would be back in the same league as UL Monroe and UL Lafayette. There would be multiple deaths in Ruston by aneurysm.

Would Rice, UNT, and Southern Miss really want to be in the same league as Arkansas State, South Alabama, and Troy? No chance.

Does ANYONE want to be in the same league as the academic and political pariah Liberty?? NOBODY.

Realignment is going to happen...it's inevitable, but CUSA and SBC have yet to reach critical mass that would drive them into the ditch that is this idea. The best thing Texas State can do it to continue building facilities and teams. Start winning consistently at the top of the SBC in all sports and the rest (realignment) will take care of itself. I still hold out hope that we could be in a conference with the MWC schools at some point. That would be a fun league if the other Texas schools (UNT, UTEP, UTSA, RICE, etc.) were mixed in as well.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:56 am