Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Updates to 2017 Football Roster 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Updates to 2017 Football Roster
Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Bobkat34 wrote:
Consider the talent Bama is able to put on field. They only get better with good talent to compete with. Assuming they are Wither's type of guys, I would expect hard work and love football or they won't last long.

please tell us more about the Alabama football talent pool

Thanks FLT for answering ahead of me.

Prataliscious...
You can say "Consider the talent ______ (any good program) is able to put on the field." You can say UH, Boise State, Washington, and on and on that is not the National Champions. It doesn't change the fact that their depth on practice squad is very good too. Maybe not great enough to start at those schools but at a TXST, yeah... they're probably just as good as CURRENT roster.

Here is some A&M examples for you over the last 10 years:
-A&M beast #1 Bama with Johnny Football. A&M's defense says two transfer RBs helped them prepare for Eddie Lacy because they were on their practice squad (sitting out their transfer year).
-Billy Gillispie starts 3 walk-ons in A&M's first game (over Acie Law NBA lottery pick 3 years later) under him; one of those walk-ons earned a scholarship and was a big part of Gillispie's 3 year career there.

So... yes... walk-on and their talent may not be seen on Saturdays but talent is important to really help 1st team and 2nd team get better. Beating up easy or less talented players doesn't help anyone, most importantly the starters.

Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

from the austin alumni assn / coaches happy hour:

qb - gipson and wj3 are going to stay at qb, nelson to rb, kelley to wr or db. williams won't be named starter, but he's the starter.

rb - anthony smith and robert brown are likely 1, 2

dean taylor is up to 285 now (signed at 230)
jordan mittie is up to 275 and will be at dt

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

i was really kind of hoping that if it came down to either Jones III or Neslon staying that it was jaylin...i get it that he doesn't have the QB cannon or height at all (even by SBC standards) but i really think he has what it takes to move the chains with a disgraceful OL which will have him constantly pressured. He makes good and timely decisions and it is pretty accurate on PA passes

i think Nelson will be back under center...I'm guessing they just don't see JonesIII being capable of playing anywhere else. maybe they see that nelson could be the next elijah mcguire in the backfield... with our OL do they really think he'll make more of an impact at RB than WR?

-Bill O'Brien

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:

i think Nelson will be back under center...I'm guessing they just don't see JonesIII being capable of playing anywhere else. maybe they see that nelson could be the next elijah mcguire in the backfield... with our OL do they really think he'll make more of an impact at RB than WR?

Let's trust those that see these players day in and day out and get paid to evaluate them. At this point, all we have seen is highlight videos of these players which only gives us an indicator of some of the things they excel at. It's not a complete look.

You assume Jones isn't a good QB but stays at QB because you also assume he can't play another position. That's a lot of assumptions for not ever seeing this kid actually play.

Maybe you went to some of his high school games and scouted him. If then...more power to you.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
Maybe you went to some of his high school games and scouted him. If then...more power to you

I didn't but we do know that we have an 'in person' expert on these sorts of insiders in Taxman on this board 8) :eatemup:

based purely stats (highschool-not taking team, district, classification or competition into consideration)...it's obvious why Kelly has already been moved from QB but it's less obvious why Gipson tentatively remains at QB with a 45% completion in high school

I have no doubts that Gipson could be our leader in the future based off his rating and highlights but the passing stats are slightly concerning...but maybe not in Withers' system...who knows

-Bill O'Brien

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Small town country boys have a way of surprising. Gipson has plenty of time to develop and improve his passing game.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

qb - gipson and wj3 are going to stay at qb, nelson to rb, kelley to wr or db. williams won't be named starter, but he's the starter.

Very interesting.
I'm not surprised to see Gipson and Willie Jones still at QB with all the potential from size (height), athletic ability (skill running ball), to dual threat ability. Just a quick note on Willie Jones... he broke a lot of track records so to say he couldn't play WR is not accurate.

I'd expect Nelson to be used in multiple types of situations like plans for LG Williams. Its no shocker that Nelson's footwork (football highlights) are great so RB makes sense but to think he wouldn't be used in a similar situation like LG Williams vs. Ohio (throw to Tyler Jones to score last TD)... your not considering his background as a HS QB. Another possible way he could be used is how they tried to use Watts and Morbley as WRs in motion that go into backfield and take a handoff (something that WR Caleb Twyford did in HS highlights too).

I'm not surprised to see Kelley moved due to playing mostly RB last year but I really don't see him as a DB in college. He was listed at coming out of high school at 6'2/202. Many of those sizes out of high school are from junior summer high school year so my guess would be at WR. Sounds like we took an athlete in him and plan to use him to improve a position. Should be interesting to see where he falls.

Only surprise at RB is these two are 1, 2 going into August. Sounds like Mayberry still dances too much, Taylor (not sure) and Tutt is not likely ready to go 100% yet. Then add Nelson with his footwork.

Good to hear Mittie continues to bulk up and Taylor may be ready to start or become a very solid backup.

Saul when you noted DT, you referring to big DE and not NT where Lanza played mostly in spring practices?

Should be interesting to see how positions pan out come August.

Any info on OL?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Very interesting.
I'm not surprised to see Gipson and Willie Jones still at QB with all the potential from size (height), athletic ability (skill running ball), to dual threat ability. Just a quick note on Willie Jones... he broke a lot of track records so to say he couldn't play WR is not accurate. Also, when we offered 4 HS QBs in last month... that was telling us something changed because after the de-commit, we didn't offer until close to month later.

I'd expect Nelson to be used in multiple types of situations like plans for LG Williams. Its no shocker that Nelson's footwork (football highlights) are great so RB makes sense but to think he wouldn't be used in a similar situation like LG Williams vs. Ohio (throw to Tyler Jones to score last TD)... your not considering his background as a HS QB. Another possible way he could be used is how they tried to use Watts and Morbley as WRs in motion that go into backfield and take a handoff (something that WR Caleb Twyford did in HS highlights too).

I'm not surprised to see Kelley moved due to playing mostly RB last year but I really don't see him as a DB in college. He was listed at coming out of high school at 6'2/202. Many of those sizes out of high school are from junior summer high school year so my guess would be at WR. Sounds like we took an athlete in him and plan to use him to improve a position. Should be interesting to see where he falls.

Only surprise at RB is these two are 1, 2 going into August. Sounds like Mayberry still dances too much, Taylor (not sure) and Tutt is not likely ready to go 100% yet. Then add Nelson with his footwork.

Good to hear Mittie continues to bulk up and Taylor may be ready to start or become a very solid backup.

Saul when you noted DT, you referring to big DE and not NT where Lanza played mostly in spring practices?

Any info on OL?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Bobkat34 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Very interesting.
I'm not surprised to see Gipson and Willie Jones still at QB with all the potential from size (height), athletic ability (skill running ball), to dual threat ability. Just a quick note on Willie Jones... he broke a lot of track records so to say he couldn't play WR is not accurate. Also, when we offered 4 HS QBs in last month... that was telling us something changed because after the de-commit, we didn't offer until close to month later.

Any info on OL or DL?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul...

what about Kordell Rodgers? I can't see anyway that he doesn't play CB due to lack of CBs on roster (we only have 5 on ship!). He's such an athletic guy but that is where I think he'll be at least this coming season.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Jones is the best QB we have coming in, he could easily play WR too but has the best arm and decision making in the group. Gipson staying at QB is a bit of a surprise.

Everything else sounds about right.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Good to hear Mittie continues to bulk up and Taylor may be ready to start or become a very solid backup

Dean Taylor‏ @leftoverskater 7m7 minutes ago
No longer teammate, I love my BROTHERS!!!

I'm not sure how to take this other than he quit?

-Bill O'Brien

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Good to hear Mittie continues to bulk up and Taylor may be ready to start or become a very solid backup

Dean Taylor‏ @leftoverskater 7m7 minutes ago
No longer teammate, I love my BROTHERS!!!

I'm not sure how to interpret this other than he quit?

-Bill O'Brien

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

Hopefully he's saying his teammates are no longer his teammates, but his brothers.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next