Future Schedule Update: TXST to host Texas Southern 2018 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Future Schedule Update: TXST to host Texas Southern 2018
http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/04/texas-state-host-texas-southern-2018/

Not exciting, but an update.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Future Schedule Update: TXST to host Texas Southern 201
I do find it interesting that the article states that our game with "Toledo" for next year has been cancelled. I guess they meant Tulsa, but does anyone know what happened?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Tulsa is really screwing us. Now we have to scramble to find a 2018 home FBS game on short notice. Hopefully the contract had something written in where we are compensated for this cancellation, even if they plan to play us in San Marcos in the future. Tulsa is going to have to back out of a game in 2019 also as they have 5 non-conference games scheduled already. I'm sure it'll be our buddies at Louisiana-Lafayette.

Let's look at who has 2018 openings for a road game on a date we have open.

Pipe Dreams:
Auburn - They still have one non-conference slot to fill and don't have any away games scheduled. Both teams open on 9/15.
Florida - One non-conference slot to fill, though they play at Florida State in 2018. Doubt they'll play two non-conference games away from Gainesville. Both teams open 9/29.
Florida State - One slot to fill. Already at Notre Dame though. Both teams open on 9/15 and 9/29.
Stanford - Both teams available on 9/15. They're playing at both Rice and SDST this year so maybe not as far fetched as some others on the pipe dream list.
Syracuse - They don't have anything scheduled yet before 9/29.

Team Larry should've called by now:
Cincinnati - Both teams available 9/15. They've already got 2 home games scheduled and may be looking for an away game. Would be a great get to SM.

More realistic options:
Army - It would have to be later in the season as they are booked up through September, but may be possible since they're an independent.
FIU - Both teams available on 9/29. We could be in Sun Belt play by then though.
UTEP - Are likely looking for a home/home series to fill and play away in 2018 as they already have two home games scheduled and a money game scheduled at Tennessee. Both teams available 9/29 unless either have a conference game which could be a possibility by then.
Western Michigan - They only have one non-conference game scheduled in 2018. They have multiple spots to fill so could be desperate.

I'll bet a month's salary it's one of these two:
Liberty - Hate to say it, but I'd put good money that we ink a deal with Liberty soon. They recently announced their move to FBS as an independent and have 10 games to schedule for 2018 still. Larry could call tonight and have this game finalized by Friday if he wants.
New Mexico State - If it's not Liberty, it'll probably be NMST. They're going independent after getting booted from the Sun Belt after this season. They still have 6 slots to fill for 2018 and we obviously have a lot of familiarity with them having shared the same homes together for the last 5 years in the WAC and Sun Belt.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks Tulsa

The ONLY postivie about getting Liberty is that you could probably get them to pay a lot of money to come play in SM. I bet it'll be NMSU though. Good relationship and Liberty won't count as a FBS yet I bet.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Liberty can't come to San Marcos. Too much potential for sin.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Last edited by bleed gold on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

not to mention that teams don't pay for away games.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

They will. They offered each Sun Belt school a lot of money just to join and still got turned down. I am guessing they will spend to travel just to get games. They have tons of money thanks to their online diploma mill.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
I'll bet a month's salary it's one of these two:
Liberty - Hate to say it, but I'd put good money that we ink a deal with Liberty soon. They recently announced their move to FBS as an independent and have 10 games to schedule for 2018 still. Larry could call tonight and have this game finalized by Friday if he wants.
New Mexico State - If it's not Liberty, it'll probably be NMST. They're going independent after getting booted from the Sun Belt after this season. They still have 6 slots to fill for 2018 and we obviously have a lot of familiarity with them having shared the same homes together for the last 5 years in the WAC and Sun Belt.

Path of least resistance? Yeah, that sounds like LT's MO.

Why bother contacting a P5 or even an established G5, when we can call the transitional team that no one likes?

One caveat here though is that I heard (through people that are usually, but not always right) that LT was against Liberty joining the Sun Belt. Not sure of the reason, but perhaps it could be something that keeps him from calling for a home game.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 am
SuperCat

Maybe Tulsa canceled the game, because this will be a conference game by then. See what I did there? :roll:

I'll go back to smoking my pipe.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

slycat wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

They will. They offered each Sun Belt school a lot of money just to join and still got turned down. I am guessing they will spend to travel just to get games. They have tons of money thanks to their online diploma mill.

It's a different deal for them now that they announced they are moving up to FBS. Now, it's necessary to get the home games.

I'm 100% Liberty would be on board to come to San Marcos for free... Provided we would make a return trip for them in 2019 or 2020. Might even offer some money to go with that.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Multiple points to make from the last series of posts:
1. I didn't think of this yesterday, but Liberty may not be full FBS until 2019. If that's the case we shouldn't be playing TSU and Liberty in the same year since only one would count for bowl eligibility I believe. If that's the case it could rule out Liberty for 2018.
2. Liberty wouldn't pay us to come to SM. That's not how it works.
3. Being against Liberty in the Sun Belt doesn't mean we would necessarily be against playing them in a non-conference game or series.
4. Liberty would sign a home/home series with us tomorrow if both parties agreed.

Final point on Liberty is that we shouldn't be playing them until they are full FBS. We need to schedule FCS teams that aren't a threat to beat us, and as bad as we've been the last couple of years it means we can't schedule a decent FCS team like Liberty until they count towards full FBS. TSU, Prairie View, HBU, UIW are who we have to play for our FCS game until we get better. I give Larry some credit for understanding that.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

Per a Liberty guy:
LU is FCS Indy in 2017, FBS Transitional in 2018 and full FBS in 2019. So yes LU is considered FBS in 2018.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
1. I didn't think of this yesterday, but Liberty may not be full FBS until 2019. If that's the case we shouldn't be playing TSU and Liberty in the same year since only one would count for bowl eligibility I believe. If that's the case it could rule out Liberty for 2018.
3. Being against Liberty in the Sun Belt doesn't mean we would necessarily be against playing them in a non-conference game or series.
4. Liberty would sign a home/home series with us tomorrow if both parties agreed.

Final point on Liberty is that we shouldn't be playing them until they are full FBS. We need to schedule FCS teams that aren't a threat to beat us, and as bad as we've been the last couple of years it means we can't schedule a decent FCS team like Liberty until they count towards full FBS. TSU, Prairie View, HBU, UIW are who we have to play for our FCS game until we get better. I give Larry some credit for understanding that.

Liberty will pay money to travel if they can't get games any other way. Period.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
x wrote:

Liberty will pay money to travel if they can't get games any other way. Period.

If you're going to spend a bunch of money why wouldn't you just spend it to bring people to your own stadium?

They can buy home games with their money, otherwise they'll be looking for home/home deals with schools like TXST. I don't think they're going to be so desperate for games that they'd be willing to play games on the road with no return game at their place and no paycheck.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If Liberty has trouble scheduling away games it means that they're getting paid like an FCS team (~300k) and not an FBS team (~750k-1.2m)...They won't have to play on the road for free and they certainly as hell won't be paying people to play on the road.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm