Withers may have just gotten himself in trouble 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Withers may have just gotten himself in trouble
that might be the best written article on txst athletics i've ever seen. damn sure the longest! :lol:

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I thought the tone of his comments was refreshing even though he called out his previous seniors very directly. He needs to do *something*. When you have an administration, student body, alumni, and greater community that ARE NOT connected to the program you have to shake things up. He is, as they stated in the article, swinging a "big stick" at the problem. Look, what has been happening in San Marcos has not worked...except for at couple of special seasons...since I began as a freshman in 1986. 1986!! That's over 30 seasons of overall poor performance.

I'm willing to wait and see if things turn under his leadership. I cancelled my club seats due to the continuing problems and won't be back in the stadium until I sense a real change...but I'm still watching, waiting, hoping, that our team will someday start to win. I hope Withers is the man to get it done.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

Very good article.

Personally, I see the "good people" as Withers may view it as student-athletes that do what is needed to be done without asking them to do it and it is solely based on football such as student-athletes work ethic in classroom, film-room by position, practice, workouts, etc... It has nothing to doing with being a good son, brother, cousin, friend to others on campus (students, staff, etc...).

I see it as Withers wanting players that meet all of those things (good son, brother, cousin, friend) but he's most concentrated on them doing what is required to be successful in football because he has to win games or else he's out of here in 4 years. Thatis what I get from year 1 to year 2 based on community service at schools/cleaning up places; the speakers; this weeks career services event for players, and importance on grades. In just 1 spring 2016 semester, overall GPA of TXST football went up drastically (in certain areas). That alone is telling.

I still don't like his comments but its not as if every football program including the most winning teams has a full 85 that meet this criteria and those will likely leave like our players did last year. Sometimes on their own or not on their own (kicked off team for team rules, etc...).

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Those comment arose from Withers wanting to deflect attention from the decommits that were in the pipeline. In case you guys haven't clued in, the coaching staff always creates a diversion when bad news pop up. "Hey, look over here, look over here!"

I originally thought he would last three years here, but if he keeps making comments like that, he may be gone after this year if we win 3 or less games.

Now do you guys understand why I was the first one to ask about the buyout clause? Now do you guys see why coaches the HE brought in are jumping ship left and right? Now do you guys see why during Senior introductions the final game Tyler Jones didn't even look at him and didn't hug him like the other players did?

Say what you may about Tyler Jones athletically, but he was a solid/upstanding young man. A bit of a recluse, but definitely a grade "A" individual off the field. That's why he wasn't fake when interacting with Withers.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I must admit concern regarding the coaching carousel under Withers. I realize most coaches must always be upwardly mobile or their career will stagnate. But we seem to have an excessive amount. I also must admit, I don't have any stats in this regard and could be wrong.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

His comments are outrageous . . they're egregious . . . despicable

. . . of course that's largely due to the fact that we're still perennial losers . . . .

I wonder how fast those "offended" would forget each and every offensive utterance if we were to say, make a Bowl Game following the 2018 season . . . Hell if he managed 5 or more wins this season, I'm sure that many would develop amnesia . . . .

Just food for thought ... .

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Those comment arose from Withers wanting to deflect attention from the decommits that were in the pipeline. In case you guys haven't clued in, the coaching staff always creates a diversion when bad news pop up. "Hey, look over here, look over here!"

I originally thought he would last three years here, but if he keeps making comments like that, he may be gone after this year if we win 3 or less games.

Now do you guys understand why I was the first one to ask about the buyout clause? Now do you guys see why coaches the HE brought in are jumping ship left and right? Now do you guys see why during Senior introductions the final game Tyler Jones didn't even look at him and didn't hug him like the other players did?

Say what you may about Tyler Jones athletically, but he was a solid/upstanding young man. A bit of a recluse, but definitely a grade "A" individual off the field. That's why he wasn't fake when interacting with Withers.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:34 am