2017 Sun Belt football schedule announced 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2017 Sun Belt football schedule announced
not exactly your original argument, nor is it particularly accurate. you're counting 4 bye weeks when what is listed is game days, not weeks. every team gets 2 bye weeks, not 4.

you do have a point with the open final weekend for both teams though. dec 2 is championship sat, so it's stupid to be playing reg season games on that day to begin with, but if it's there and being used, we should get that benefit as well. at the same time, getting 2 off weeks in a season is already 1 more than most every other conference gets, so hard to get very worked up over it.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am
SuperCat

18' and 20' ooc schedule complete with nmsu series.not sure I agree.all g5 non conference in 2020 neither of the opponents are even in the top 10 g5 right now.think 2 or at least 1 of those games needs to feature top 10 g5s if you are going to go the route without a single p5.utsa smu and Uohio could all be really good by 2020 but it seems weird to do right now.then the 18' schedule is odd going the route of one of the worst fcs teams,one of the worst p5s and then sprinkling in nmsu who will hopefully take our place as the worst g5 next season.for one i don't like the appeal.they have an even less supportive fan base than us. didnt like when we scheduled idaho when they were booted from wac with no home in 13' and certainly dont like scheduling nmsu 2 games after being booted from sbc. all in all i would be more behind it if it if it was nmsu at jim wacker both games. to reinforce the better university. it was evident that administration was desperate and teis maybe trying to save his tenure with the lightest SOS possible

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Remember those e-mails you used to get from the Prince of some African country that was going to give you lots of money later for donating to their cause now?

The spacing and punctuation above remind me of those e-mails.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
not sure I agree

no one cares.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Not much Teis can do about this one. Tulsa backed out on us last minute when almost everybody's 2018 schedule is booked. It was going to be New Mexico State or Liberty all along. We're lucky we don't have to stoop to a level of playing two FCSs or only having 5 home games. And NMSU isn't stupid. They know we're desperate for a home game in 2018 so they have all the leverage to get the return game in Las Cruces.

I'm fine with this cause it's pretty much out of necessity. Tulsa is the real bad guy here.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

What may be the bigger news here is how very different our 2020 schedule will look compared to the norm.

We've been following Benson's (Sun Belt commissioner) non-conference scheduling recommendations to a T since joining the league. One P5 pay game, one bought FCS game, two games against peer conference (G5) teams.

If 2020 stays as is we will play 7 home games and 5 road games (love it!), with all 4 non-conference games against peer conference (G5) teams. No FCS game and no payday P5 game. Home games vs. UTSA, SMU, and Ohio and the one away game at NMST. I'm perfectly ok with it for the record. I love the idea of 7 games in San Marcos.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm
SuperCat

2020 schedule is to weak.. we have a chance to be really good that year and it would be nice to have one statement game, so we could give ourselves a great shot at a new year game .. at very least we should be decent by that time and playing a couple of p5 games each year could help w recruiting

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I am happy with NMSU. As for the schedule being too easy in 2020, who the fuck cares? The best record we've had in FBS is 7-5. I don't give a shit if we play "weak" teams to win more. We are the weak team. At this point I just want to win.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It's really not weak though.

No P5 game is completely washed out by no gimme FCS game. We don't have an Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist or Prairie View A&M on the schedule. All 4 of those teams will be legitimate competition and all 4 are better than us right now.

Who knows what those teams will be like in 3 years but UTSA was a bowl team last year, SMU is probably about to get pretty good under Chad Morris, Ohio won 8 games and made the MAC championship game last year despite somehow losing to us (which may have seriously been the biggest upset of the season last year), and NMST, well OK they may not be any good in 2020 but they beat us by 40 last year so there's that.

Some of you mouth breathers just can't see anything past the NFL and SEC and once you do it just all blurs together to you...

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm
SuperCat

But by 2020 we shouldn't be the weak team and fans Definitely want to see games against p5 schools

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This thread is just proof our fans will bitch and whine about anything no matter what.

7 home games with non-conference home games against UTSA, SMU, and Ohio isn't good enough. Rather throw two of those away and see us beat ACU by 40 and lose to Clemson by 40 than see 3 competitive games. Meanwhile they won't be at any of the 3 real games or 2 hypothetical games, so their opinion really doesn't fucking matter anyway.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 pm
SuperCat

If we beat utsa, smu and ohio in 2020 fans are not going to care about not playing p5 schools for one season. I think we all just want to win consistantly. I think we can all agree that we are so fuc#$@^ tired of losing. I too like the idea of having 7 home games. Beating smu and utsa would give a good boost to recruiting.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
This thread is just proof our fans will bitch and whine about anything no matter what.

7 home games with non-conference home games against UTSA, SMU, and Ohio isn't good enough. Rather throw two of those away and see us beat ACU by 40 and lose to Clemson by 40 than see 3 competitive games. Meanwhile they won't be at any of the 3 real games or 2 hypothetical games, so their opinion really doesn't fucking matter anyway.

I'm actually surprised that Larry was able to pull off 7 home games.

Just hope we don't have to then have a year with 5.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It shouldn't. Though our needs become a little imbalanced after 2020. Not hard to buy an FCS game for each season we still need a game. Just have to schedule some home/homes with G5s to even things out. Hopefully we're already at work on that. Wonder what people will come up with to bitch about home games vs. Baylor and Arizona State. I'm sure you hyenas will find something...

2021:
@ UTSA
@ Baylor
Need 2 home games

2022:
vs. UTSA
vs. Baylor
6 home games already

2023:
@ Baylor
@ UTSA
Need 2 home games

2024:
Vs. UTSA
Vs. Arizona State
6 home games already

2025:
@ UTSA
@ Arizona State
Need 2 home games

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Speaking for myself, I'm fine with the 2020 schedule, and I'm good with NMSU taking the place of Tulsa on short notice. I find it laughable that any of our fans would be calling anyone out as "weak."

Just a reminder: We were the worst FBS program in college football last year. And as far as "being better" than NMSU, we've played them 4 times, are 2-2 Vs them, and like someone already said, are coming off a 40 point loss to them. In our only game against UTSA, we stunk up the Alamodome (I only bring 'em up cause it's another program that many of us "feel" we're better than, despite evidence to the contrary.

This is our 6th or 7th year at this level, and we haven't exactly set the world on fire, and that's against "perceived" weak SBC competition. We should keep our mouths shut (as it pertains to talking smack about other programs), at least until we build a program that can actually (and consistently) compete at this level.

It may feel good to talk trash, but it sure doesn't look good coming off a 2-10 season, especially when you're staring another losing season in the face.

You gotta learn to walk before you can run . . . .

Like many here, I'm just tired of the constant losing and year in year out sucking . . . For God's sake, Can we please field a consistent winning program? "Wait till next year" is a sorry ass rallying cry.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm