Going into spring practices position by position 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Going into spring practices position by position
Canaquedista Man wrote:
I have an opinion. It is only my opinion. I think it matters not who wins the positions on the OL. We don't have five good OLmen, a good blocking TE, or a RB that can pick up a blitz.
So, we are going to suck. 2 -10

I am hoping this weekend reveals some good starting pitching so I don't have to think about football for a while.

I'm thinking our O-Line will improve by a good clip this season (not like it can get much worse, amirite?).

And while I am not in love with them, I don't think we have BAD RB's... I think their production will improve with better o-line play.

It is the big gaping question mark at QB that still has me concerned. We knew it was coming, but ouch.

And just for giggles, I'm going with 4-8 or 5-7.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Honestly, I think there has been so much change & last season so awful that it is downright hard to form an opinion. When you go 2-10, as a fan you're pretty much "sure, let's try anything." At least that's how I feel. Last season was so bad that it is extremely hard to put a finger on what off-season moves are or aren't a good idea.

same.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
bleed gold wrote:
Honestly, I think there has been so much change & last season so awful that it is downright hard to form an opinion. When you go 2-10, as a fan you're pretty much "sure, let's try anything." At least that's how I feel. Last season was so bad that it is extremely hard to put a finger on what off-season moves are or aren't a good idea.

same.

All good points guys and it is good that b-ball is winning because I felt Kaspar was either going to be on hot seat or would be on it. Either way, things are looking up with 3-4 freshmen playing good minutes right now with a JC big man returning.

I just feel we are moving in the right direction based on position players we brought in quadrupling up at QB, 5 OL (4 OTs and 1 center), 3 WRs, 2 RBs then 4 DL fitting 3 positions (in my opinion), 3 LBs (2 OLB, 1 ILB), 2 CBs, 2 S and added 1 transfer DL earned ship. Not bad at all. Whether they pan out, we'll see in next 2-3 years.

Right now, we probably should be more concerned who we get at OL coach to help Mayes!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'd almost say our biggest position of need is a leader for the team.

For all the talents I thought Tyler had... He didn't strike me as an engaged leader. He was more the "hey, I'm gonna do my thing, and if you come along great" kind of player.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 am
SuperCat

TheRevSWT wrote:
I'd almost say our biggest position of need is a leader for the team.

For all the talents I thought Tyler had... He didn't strike me as an engaged leader. He was more the "hey, I'm gonna do my thing, and if you come along great" kind of player.

Gabe Loyd got more votes to be a team captain than Jones, that should be very telling. Withers even said something along your lines sometime during the season. It seems that Grant Lanza and Damian Williams could be our guys in terms of vocal, engaged leaders.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 am
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
It seems that Grant Lanza and Damian Williams could be our guys in terms of vocal, engaged leaders.

Grant Lanza was bitten by a cobra and after five days of excruciating pain... the cobra died.
Grant Lanza doesn't dial the wrong number. You answered the wrong phone.
Grant Lanza knows Victoria's secret.
If Grant Lanza was a Spartan in the movie 300, the movie would be called 1.
When Grant Lanza turned 18, his parents moved out.
When Grant Lanza swims in the ocean, the sharks are in a steel cage.
Grant Lanza will never have a heart attack. His heart isn't nearly foolish enough to attack him.
Grant Lanza once kicked a horse in the chin. Its descendants today are known as giraffes.
Grant Lanza doesn't breathe air. He holds air hostage.
Grant Lanza can delete the Recycling Bin.
Grant Lanza has already been to Mars. That's why there are no signs of life.
Grant Lanza can kill two stones with one bird.
Grant Lanza wears sunglasses so that his eyes won't hurt the sun.
When Grant Lanza works out he doesn't get stronger, the machine does.
Grant Lanza does not sleep; he waits.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Anyone hear of Mike Ross? Somebody told me he is a walk-on qb for the spring, but I can't find any news or any tidbit of anything surrounding that.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1285583/michael-ross

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm
SuperCat

Fastestcatalive wrote:
Anyone hear of Mike Ross? Somebody told me he is a walk-on qb for the spring, but I can't find any news or any tidbit of anything surrounding that.

https://twitter.com/michaelrossera?lang=en

here's his twitter. No one TXST related (for me) is following him so far. Nothing indicates that he is with the football team, but somewhere down the line he does retweet something from safeties coach Preston Mason. Walk-On informational sessions were last week or something like that.

On the topic of walk-on QBs, Dagan Haehn's bio no longer mentions TXST football. Joseph Gonzales' twitter does, however.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 am
SuperCat

Larry Teis wrote:
Fastestcatalive wrote:

https://twitter.com/michaelrossera?lang=en

here's his twitter. No one TXST related (for me) is following him so far. Nothing indicates that he is with the football team, but somewhere down the line he does retweet something from safeties coach Preston Mason. Walk-On informational sessions were last week or something like that.

On the topic of walk-on QBs, Dagan Haehn's bio no longer mentions TXST football. Joseph Gonzales' twitter does, however.

I decided to take it one step further and look at facebook. His status was vague, but it seems that he successfully walked on to the football team. He's 5'10 though (as tall as LG and Kordell Rodgers), so I really question his ability to compete on the roster. I know that's asking much for a walk-on, but Watts and Luna have done well for being walk-ons too. Lanza might do well too, who knows.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Not sure if anyone saw Keff's interview with Jack York on his own 247bobcat.com webpage.

From what new commit noted, Carlile will be a guard. So our 2017 recruiting class has 1 center likely to play center, at this point 3 (1 JC and 2 Freshmen tackles) going to play tackle as well as 1 HS tackle moving to guard (Carlile). Seems like we'll need more tackles other than York and considering we have offered a total 9 OTs.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Apparently, former Aggie backup QB Janson Moore (Henderson, TX) has walked on as a grad transfer. Enrolled in January. N/R on 24/7. 2013 enrollee at A&M. Pro Style. Not much info on him out there and absolutely no stats that I can find

everett withers‏ @everett_withers 9h9 hours ago

Congrats to the Fab Five this past week. @Taylor10Anthony @therealsherm23 @moore_janson @_Talk2em @jhammer_31 Keep workin hard academically!
0 replies 11 retweets 30 likes

Keff Ciardello‏ @Keff_C 8h8 hours ago

Confirmed: Former #TAMU QB Janson Moore is now a grad-transfer walk-on at #TXST. Moore has been with the Bobcats since January.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

3 star, local boy, Big Ugly, Alex Costilla commits
must be true, its a tweet from KC

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:

2018 recruiting thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27105
CatMom wrote:
Apparently, former Aggie backup QB Janson Moore (Henderson, TX) has walked on as a grad transfer. Enrolled in January. N/R on 24/7. 2013 enrollee at A&M. Pro Style. Not much info on him out there and absolutely no stats that I can find

there's nothing to be found. no offers out of hs and wasn't even mentioned as an option during tamu's qb crisis last spring. that's not a guy who is ever going to see the field here. dude must really like practicing football.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
Canaquedista Man wrote:

2018 recruiting thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27105
CatMom wrote:

there's nothing to be found. no offers out of hs and wasn't even mentioned as an option during tamu's qb crisis last spring. that's not a guy who is ever going to see the field here. dude must really like practicing football.

Let me say it this way... I haven't been following A&M the last 2-3 years as closely as I used to but I know A&M had a walk-on McQueen that got some end of game duty. I've never heard of this guy Janson Moore and I live in the area.

If he's a drop back passer type, I'm not sure why he'd come here. If he's a option QB (not likely) or a QB with ability to use his legs, then it makes sense. We'll find out. Either way, we need a few QBs to throw balls this spring and if that is what his biggest participation this coming season as well as practice team... I'll take it (to have an experienced QB with 3 freshmen QBs coming in is a good thing).

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

When I saw that he was a pro style at 5-11 188, I thought the same as Saul but found the hudl video below and I like his skill set. He reminds me a little of Manzel and could see why A&M may have had him on the roster. To Rev's point, if he is a leader, he could be a big asset especially for next year.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/67479/janson-moore

Edit....and if he does love football enough to walk on to a club like ours while taking post grad classes having never seen a snap in college, I'm kinda excited. Hope Withers gives him a chance. Maybe the big man above is looking out for us? Maybe?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:20 am