Going into spring practices position by position 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Going into spring practices position by position
So lets take a look at roster from what we know at this time and list 2017 class as well. We know Willie Williams is gone, McDowell is likely to be a grad transfer, PJ Anderson off the team, and rumors of others. We'll soon find out once spring roster is up.

So lets take a look at what we have:
OFFENSE: In no order.
QB:
Returners- Damian Williams; Hoege (Kansas walk-on transfer, forgot his name); LG Williams (?)
Commits- Kishawn Kelley; Jaylen Gipson; Willie Jones III (future looks bright)
Spring Outlook: I think we all expect Damian Williams to be our guy. What we need to see is some other QBs be it walk-ons or say LG Williams show they can compete (total guess on LG). More than anything, we need a vocal leader to get this team going from workouts, locker room, practices, accountability, etc... Withers was quite blunt that seniors on O weren't vocal.

RB:
Returners: Mayberry; Taylor; Tutt; Worrell
Commits: Jaylin Nelson; Anthony Smith (From Signing day show, RBs could make moves and be elusive so that an OL would not have to make every play for them)
Spring Outlook: We need more of what Mayberry can do by making others miss and I'd expect Tutt to be out with knee so that leaves opportunities for Taylor and Worrell to get more reps.

TE:
Returners: Schrade; French; Rushing; Banks
Commits: None (will be a big need in 2018 class)
Spring Outlook: Need to get more help from this group in run game and it may be the bigger French opportunity to win more PT. While Schrade shows he can be effective in passing game, he's not bulldog in the trenches. This is going to be a deep position this season by numbers but we need Rushing to develop physically in order to step up for not only this season but 2018 as lone returner on ship.

WR:
Returners: Luna; Hays
Commits: Bedford (is my guess due to size and ability to go up and catch ball different skill set than Luna/Hays)
Spring Outlook:
Assuming Luna is back from injury and I'm guessing Hays will be moved here since loss of PJ Anderson (rumor is he was kicked off team after season). Luna was quite important early in season and his loss did hurt. Hays needs to continue to work on running routes in my book and use is size more like Luna does.

WR:
Returners: TV Williams; Watts; LG Williams(?); R. Brown (listed at WR and not RB)
Commits: Caleb Tywford (my guess based on Parker Flemings comments on using him all over field from WR, go into backfield and run ball, etc...)
Spring Outlook:
This should be a fun position to watch this spring with TV Williams and Watts at this position. I'd also say R. Brown at this position is something like Tywford to watch for. Brown was signed as a all-purpose back and so he may be tried at this position to move around into back field, like WR, and WR screens due to his footwork/hands (assuming its good).

WR:
Returners: King; walk-ons likely
Commits: Jeremiah Haydel (his highlights was of his speed so playing wide make sense)
Spring Outlook:
Well, this will likely be King and walk-ons or vice versa with Hays over here and walk-ons behind Luna. Need to see King continue to improve. He's not going to out run many DBs but as a possession receiver or blocking WR, he could improve. Continue to work on route running.

RT:
Returners: [Washington(?); Vatterot; Gambrell; Copa - ALL QUESTION MARKS]
Commits: Nic Foster; Tanner King (just a guess since signed 3 HS OTs and 1 JC OT)
Spring Outlook:
Withers noted in spring signing day special that we have a ton of guards and not many tackles. This 2016 roster showed 5-6 OTs but I'm guessing after season, coaches didn't think many are tackles for their offense. That being said, someone needs to get reps their in spring and only guys that got any reps at OT last year was Mizerak, Pleschette-list as senior last year, and Melton-senior) so... it leaves a lot of questions. I'd say this position and LT is wide open. It could be any of guys listed above or even PWO Colton Williams that gets an opportunity this spring. Major guess that Mizerak is moved to LT this spring due to his 1 year of experience at OT compared to well... everyone else.

RG:
Returners: Rowland; Lemons;
Commits: None
Spring Outlook:
I expect to see a lot of Rowland getting reps and either Lemons or maybe another listed as OT on current 2016 roster or Pierce (not sure where he fits). Someone needs to step up and take this position and this spring is the time to do it. PWO Colton Williams could be an option too.

C:
Returners: Brewer; Pierce (guessing here); Fryrear (PWO from last year)
Commits: Jordan Reece (if his size on signing day is correct at 275, he's playing year 1)
Spring Outlook:
Still thin a center and it seems at this time Brewer is our center this spring. He has most experience. After him is a total guess for spring. Pierce could be an option or PWO Fryrear.

LG:
Returners: Pierce (?); Lemons (?); Washington (?); PWO Colton Williams maybe (?)
Commits: None
Spring Outlook:
Oh who wants to win a starting OL spot? Pierce, Lemons, Washington (has the size to play it). With transfer of Williams, we are one less guard but again Withers suggests we have a lot of them. Vatterot is likely another option too.

LT:
Returners: Mizerak; Vatterot (?); Washington (?); Gambrell (?)
Commits: JC OT Anthony Mayes; Caleb Carlile (I do expect one of these to take position by 1st/2nd game of season and Mizerak possibly moving back to RT)
Spring Outlook:
I'm guessing Mizerak gets chance to LT with no one else that has much experience. After him, total guessing game for spring.

DEFENSE:
OLB:
Returners: Anyama; Vinson; Lewis
Commits: Jakharious Smith (once I heard he would be a OLB, I was excited; could be a good one by time he leaves TXST, potential is there)
Spring Outlook:
I'm guessing Anyama may not be back yet or we may not want to push him yet. If ready, great. If not, allows Vinson and likely Lewis more reps in spring. Going into next season, I expect this position to be Anyama, Hinson, and Smith with Lewis moving to other side due to his speed and cover skills (rewatch his highlights and he can go into coverage and pick balls).

DE:
Returners: Mittie; Lanza; Kanu; Casey
Commits: Caveon Patton (I think he fits this position due to his size 6'2/285 that can play NT but has athletic ability to play a big DE and get into backfield, that's what I see)
Spring Outlook:
I think this could be a very interesting spring to watch at this position between Mittie and Lanza. All I've seen or heard about Lanza is what Withers and staff want from a student-athlete. Kanu and Casey better step up their game in order not to be lost in shuffle once spring is over and fall gets here with Patton.

NT:
Returners: Uluocha; Lilly
Commits: Sami Awad; Gjemar Daniels (No doubt these two will get PT year 1 based on size alone but they will need to produce too)
Spring Outlook:
This spring it will be backups and redshirt getting most reps and possibly Mittie too due to lack of depth. Either way, these guys needs to show they are no push over or the incoming in summer will take their spots.

DE:
Returners: Davis; Taylor
Commits: Nick Wilkins (This to me is the obvious position. He's a strong 6'2/250 DE that should be able to bother OL that expect to play against 6'3+ guys and will have to deal with a small/quick DE with power... think O'Diari
Spring Outlook:
Davis and Taylor will continue to compete but Taylor getting a full spring weight training program and then get into spring practices... watch out. I could see him pushing Davis for starting spot this spring and/or going into fall as #1. Then add Nick Wilkins that will likely play year 1, my guess.

OLB:
Returners: Graham; Griffin; Hines
Commits: Harris (After hearing he ran 4.38 multiple times, I expect him to play this position where most OLBs were Safeties and can cover)
Spring Outlook:
This will be an interesting year at this position. I'm expecting possibly up to 2 of these guys to move to Safety by beginning of season this fall and that would be Graham and Griffin due to depth at Safety this coming season and as I noted above at other OLB position, I can envision this OLB being Hines, Lewis, and Harris. Like the comment I made about Taylor getting full workout program this spring and then spring practices... I expect a big jump from being #2 at this position last season to likely #1. I'm not sure if Graham and/or Griffin will be moved this spring but if you see Safety there are only 4 on ship this spring and that is very thin with 6 OLBs on ship and MANY LBs listed from this past season (walk-ons). If Graham and Griffin stay at OLB, they better continue to get better or Hines could push them both.

ILB:
Returners: Loyd; Rubin
Commits: John Brannon (Just makes sense that Brannon learns from Loyd and takes over following year)
Spring Outlook:
Loyd and then rest at this position from Rubin to walk-ons. Not much else to say here.

ILB:
Returners: London; Daniels
Commits: None (this was somewhat a concern to me by not adding another)
Spring Outlook:
London and Daniels will go at it and I hope to see Daniels improve like Taylor/Hines is expected ILB but this could be an opportunity for say Berry who has the size to move inside since he didn't get much PT at OLB last season. Just a hunch.

CB:
Returners: McDowell; Easling; Taylor; Aneke
Commits: Kieston Roach (the lone true CB that video shows he can handle himself on a island)
Spring Outlook:
No doubt with the loss of McDowell we lose a lot of experience. This is a great opportunity for Easling and Anthony Taylor to get a chance to make the position there own. I totally guessed on which CBs would be at either position by the way. Expect Roach to play season 1.

CB:
Returners: Guidry; Waddy; Rosemond
Commits: Kordell Rogers (probably the best overall athlete in this signing class as he can play any skill position and likely did in high school but he'll need time to adjust to CB since he played QB senior year)
Spring Outlook:
Going into spring game, I'd expect Guidry to get reps there but he could be pushed by any of Waddy, A. Taylor, or Easling. I don't think Guidry fits this type of scheme very well where he's on an island but that is the defense so he has to do his best. I'm not sure if Waddy or A. Taylor fit it either. Should be good opportunity for someone to step up.

FS:
Returners: Johnson; Coleman
Commits: Preston Dimery (after hearing his season stats with many interceptions, I'm guessing he's a guy that can read QBs well)
Spring Outlook:
This will be an interesting position to watch. Again, I'm not sure who fits FS position be it Johnson or Coleman but neither really stepped up last season. Johnson lost his starting job after or during game 2 and was the backup. This position is wide open and if they don't want someone like Dimery to take their PT, they better step it up.

SS:
Returners: Tiggs; Graham (?); Griffin (?); Brown
Commits: Josh Newman (I believe I heard he is a freak athlete with speed to burn so I first thought of Griffin and that made me thing you add a guy like this to SS but I could be wrong and Dimery goes here while Newman goes to FS).
Spring Outlook:
Another open spot with not much experience here. I do think either both Graham and Griffin will get looks here. Both are more physical guys but can make tackles in the trenches too. Tiggs has played some but limited while Brown has not seen field very much.

K/P: Sherman; Kocian
Commits: None (My guess is we needed help at other positions and couldn't afford to use on K this 2017 class)
Spring Outlook:
It seems like its there positions to lose but I wouldn't hold my breath that Withers and staff look for another guy or brings in walk-ons. One thing to keep in mind. Last summer, TXST had awards for workout improvements/numbers and both Sherman and Kocian were on it (not Kaba). It doesn't mean anything but one thing we know is Withers awards those that put in the work and do it the right way. Wouldn't be surprised Kocian earns a ship like Lanza did.

Well, let me know where you think I'm right, wrong, want to discuss your different perspective, and/or anything else about players for spring.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Going into spring practices position by position
PJ Anderson is rumored to be kicked off?

Damn, I liked that kid. Or at least, I liked the potential i thought he had, so... you know, that sucks.

EDIT: Looks like it's not so rumored after all... :(

Quote:
Meanwhile, a third player has been lost as well. Sophomore receiver P.J. Anderson, who had nine catches for 121 yards and a touchdown this season, was dismissed from the team for violating the team’s code of ethics.

Statesman Article

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 pm
SuperCat

Kishawn Kelley might be used as a physical halfback, also I don't think Worrell is returning.
There's also walk-on QB Patrick Gonzales. He's not too good. http://www.hudl.com/profile/1710771/patrick-gonzales

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Making an edit at Right Tackle and Left Tackle.

RT:
Returners: [Washington(?); Vatterot; Gambrell; Copa - ALL QUESTION MARKS]
Commits: Caleb Carlile; Tanner King (just a guess since signed 3 HS OTs and 1 JC OT)

LT:
Returners: Mizerak; Vatterot (?); Washington (?); Gambrell (?)
Commits: JC OT Anthony Mayes; Nic Foster (I do expect one of these to take position by 1st/2nd game of season and Mizerak possibly moving back to RT)

After seeing Foster's video again, I think he's likely to be at LT while Carlile at RT.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The code of ethics is stupid. I bet he was smoking pot. Everyone in college smokes pot and a significant portion of people in the professional world do as well.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

dude had 10 catches in a passing offense. 3rd year on the team and he has 3-5 inches and 10-40 lbs over the top 3 returning wr, w/ 28-43 catches each. he's a guy i loved coming out of hs and thought was going to kill it in this offense w/ his length and he did nothing. not losing much there.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:
The code of ethics is stupid. I bet he was smoking pot. Everyone in college smokes pot and a significant portion of people in the professional world do as well.

I disagree 100%. It is called being accountable for your actions. At my job I get drug tested. A fail and I am fired. If I come to work and I am drunk, I am fired. If I hit someone, I am fired. If I verbally abuse someone, I'm fired.

The team didn't have a code of ethics that they were held accountable for in the past and look where it got them. The players agreed to it, so it is on them. I don't feel bad for them at all.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

RiverRatCat06 wrote:

Well, it would get anybody that works in government fired. And depending on the circumstance (i.e. showing up to work high), it'll get you canned in a lot of private sector positions. All it takes is reasonable suspicion to order a drug test.

Lord knows I partook when I was younger in college. I probably would now if it weren't for restrictions at work.

When you sign on the dotted line for a scholarship, you agree to all of the strings that come with it, no matter how much you might disagree with them. When you sign a document that establishes team rules and defines consequences, you agree to that no matter how much you think they are stupid.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

since we've got the leap to conclusions mat out and are just making shit up out of thin air...

bleed gold wrote:
When you sign on the dotted line for a scholarship, you agree to all of the strings that come with it, no matter how much you might disagree with them.

this is correct, but some of y'all need to understand just how subjective and arbitrary these rules are. coaches can spot test anyone they feel like at any time, which makes testing an easy way to get rid of an unwanted player.

guy has been on the roster for 3 years, minimal contribution, not in the vision for the future.
doesn't smoke weed during the season, because he's committed to the team.
home on christmas break, gets high w/ his boys because why not? not at school, not during season.
first meeting back in spring semester, coach announces piss test for 15 random players, none of whom are projected starters/contributors, coincidentally.
guy fails drug test, can now be booted from the team for cause, opening up a scholarship.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

I get hit with random drug tests all any time so I just don't feel bad.

If you really want to then be smart about it. Smoke a couple times early in the break and then clean up. You should expect that randoms could happen when you come back. Then smoke the day after you pass the test.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Dang, if that doesn't say "I mean business", I'm not sure what does. Feel bad for the kid, but EW is on a damn mission.
EW continues to impress me.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Wow... instead of talking about the players we have coming back by position we prefer to talk about a back-up WR that had yet to really step up as one of the small number of ship WRs on the team. That alone is telling.

No one wants to argue us moving or not moving Graham, Griffin as I've suggested I could see them moving?
No one thinks moving Berry is a bad or good idea?
Anyone have a guess on a first team OL going into spring?
Any expectations from any freshmen players going into spring practices?
Could someone take anothers job by spring practices?
Who do you think could earn a ship that is currently a walk-on?

Surprised no one has an opinion on anything... wierd for this website!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:
Surprised no one has an opinion on anything... wierd for this website!

Honestly, I think there has been so much change & last season so awful that it is downright hard to form an opinion. When you go 2-10, as a fan you're pretty much "sure, let's try anything." At least that's how I feel. Last season was so bad that it is extremely hard to put a finger on what off-season moves are or aren't a good idea.

Another factor is that, for the first time in a long time, I'm distracted by our basketball team actually stringing together some solid performances. That's my preferred sport, so I haven't paid much mind to off-season football shenanigans.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I have an opinion. It is only my opinion. I think it matters not who wins the positions on the OL. We don't have five good OLmen, a good blocking TE, or a RB that can pick up a blitz.
So, we are going to suck. 2 -10

I am hoping this weekend reveals some good starting pitching so I don't have to think about football for a while.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:
Wow... instead of talking about the players we have coming back by position we prefer to talk about a back-up WR that had yet to really step up as one of the small number of ship WRs on the team. That alone is telling.

That was my fault. I just commented that I liked his potential and thought it sucked he was gone.

My bad!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 pm