Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
SuperCat

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
Looks like Drake Centers decommited today.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 pm
SuperCat

Damn. Need more players like him.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
single game results,saul?weve lost 13 fbs games in a row son.but withers has to get past that crap.he will need to win 4 or 5 of the next 6 very winnable games to change his pecking order in the eyes of recruits.with less than 3 months until early signing day already expect to finish the rest of the 2018 class with all 2 stars.we havent had a commit in almost 2 months and the ones we have offered but havent verbaled anywhere yet have been almost silent

In that case how do you explain our recruiting class last year. It was one of our best classes ever right after one of our worst seasons ever.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

cgd469 wrote:
Looks like Drake Centers decommited today.

I wish Keff would ask Withers what his recruiting plan is to get more quality lineman on board. In case he forgot he had 5 lineman decommit and 1 that didn't qualify in the 17' class and now 3 have since decommitted in the 18' class. By my estimation nearly half or more of the 18' class should be a mixture of lineman on either side of the ball and the remaining commits need to be CBs and safeties. I don't see where he has replaced all of these decomittments by gaining all new recruits

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

the sky is always falling w/ you. you don't see how he replaced the decommits? are you bad at math or research?

4 ol and 5 dl in last year's class are on campus today. signed 6 ol, 1 ol doesn't qualify and 1 was injured.
4 ol and 3 dl commits as of today, w/ ~8 open slots.

i'd bet anything he's looking for 6 on each side of the line, which meets your 1/2 the class requirement. he knows where games are won - that's not some big mystery that only saban, dabo and the unwashed masses of the internet have figured out.

why should anyone ask him what his recruiting strategy is? do you think he's going to give you a breakdown of his big board, target numbers at each position? when have you ever seen a coach discuss anything like that?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Call me crazy, but my suspicion is that his recruiting strategy is "to find the best linemen willing to commit."

Our challenges on the lines are not a new thing--we've struggled to recruit line for probably a decade. It would be on even the most inept coach's radar.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Since someone started a discussion on recruiting... Keff's last article has Withers noting we have 68 ship players now and next year will be at 74 with 11 ships still not available.

Doing some math... we only have 12 seniors so subtract that from 68 and that is 56 then add 25 and that is 81 so... I'm not good at math but it doesn't seem like we'll have 25 ships this class rather 18ish (56+18= 74). I'm hoping that is not counting some mid-year JC guys.

Trenches is where we need depth at going into this class with DB and TE (I'd expect a JC TE to be recruited). I'd sure like to find better kickers.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If Withers has an incomplete class of 17 commits and he doesn’t fill out to the full 25 allotment his 3rd year should be his final year. We can’t afford his early release payout so he’ll retire on a 3rd time 1-6 stint. You would think his million dollar Buda house mortgage would be a motivator to have success next year. We’ll see. Settling with 17 recruits when you kicked so many off will be unacceptable.

To paraphrase Saul glad to hear he is confident that replacing our 3 star decommits with 2 star commits is the cure for our woes In the trenches contributing to 1-6. We’ve seen how productive our offense has been this season with Withers’ 2017 class low 2** lineman.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

not sure why you're doing that math bk34. 25/85. 25 ships every year, unless you're up against the 85 total, and we're nowhere close. we'll have 25, probably more. still have 2 to count towards last year that can go to jan jucos.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
not sure why you're doing that math bk34.

Withers said in his press conference this week we're currently at 68 scholarship players and we will still be 11 short at just 74 next year. Seems with a 25 man class we should be around 80 with the number of seniors currently on the team.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

gotcha. but that makes zero sense (the numbers overall). unless he knows we're going to lose 6 more to attrition this summer. i do expect to lose some - you do every year.

regardless, i'll be shocked if we don't have 25+ on nsd.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Linemen are the most difficult position to recruit. You may get commits early on but as the P5 or other G5 schools fill out their recruits they start looking at and offering guys from programs like ours. When they first commit to TXST they may not have bigger programs looking at them but they get looks after we do the dirty work of finding these guys and the bigger programs may lose someone to a decommit or injury.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Call me crazy, but my suspicion is that his recruiting strategy is "to find the best linemen willing to commit."

Our challenges on the lines are not a new thing--we've struggled to recruit line for probably a decade. It would be on even the most inept coach's radar.

True but the biggest difference in Fran's signees and Withers' OL signees has been length be it Foster 6'5/270; Tanner King 6'5/275; Caleb Carlile 6'4/300; and only ones smaller have been Pierce, Brewer, and Jordan ranging from 6'2-6'3. I'm sure he wants size but not losing athletic ability/length. Right now, we have a starting HS TE at LT in Foster and overall... he's doing well. I trust this coaching staff to find 2* and lower that have potential, especially with Mateos as the OL coach.

In regards to DL, same thing is happening with both DE commits are 6'5 instead of our current height of about 6'3 with only Taylor and Banks above 6'4.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
not sure why you're doing that math bk34. 25/85. 25 ships every year, unless you're up against the 85 total, and we're nowhere close. we'll have 25, probably more. still have 2 to count towards last year that can go to jan jucos.

Saul... I hope you are right but there used to be rules on players leaving early (transfer) that went against a coaching staff ability to just re-use ships for the next season like having to wait a full season before that ship may be able to be used again in some way. If that is no longer something the NCAA does (which I doubt they have changed or more coaches would cut loose more than a handful of players every other year), I'm just counting and adding 25 to a roster of 56 (68-12 seniors = 56) is going to be more than 74 so... who's wrong... Withers or us?

You are right about getting those two ships back from 2017 class but not sure about Willie Williams transfer in Jan. 2017 to Lamar or if we can now use or did we use grad transfer DB's ship (plays for UH).

I'm a glutton for ship watching just like you with transfer watching... Ha!

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
I'm a glutton for ship watching just like you with transfer watching... Ha!

:lol: :lol: true enough!

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next