Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
Its time to start another post about recruiting for the Class of 2018. There were a ton that went out today and likely more to come in following weeks.

During the most recent Class of 2017, we offered per 24/7 165 recruits so expect similar numbers going into next season.

So far we've offered 15: http://texasstate.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Offers

One thing, its a long recruiting cycle so don't get too excited about these first few months of recruitment as many are or will be 3* and 4*. Its not as if we shouldn't expect to get some of them but we have to win more games to even get 4* to look at us and 3* will continue to be our goal.

As noted before, expect grad transfer McDowell ship to be useable for this class since he's graduating. Willie Williams transfer to Lamar this spring may allow us to use his ship during 2019 class (blue shirt or could use like we have on walk-ons that earn the ship).

We should be able to build off of 2017 class.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
Conner has committed and will enroll in the spring of 2018. We just have to hold him for 11 months. 8)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 am
SuperCat

Canaquedista Man wrote:
Conner has committed and will enroll in the spring of 2018. We just have to hold him for 11 months. 8)

Should be noted that Brett Elliot was his primary recruiter

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

Over/under on 60 days before he's offered by Mississippi State.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

I wouldn't be surprised if coaches have to sign some sort of non-compete with former school of committed player to not try and re-offer said recruit at new school sometime in the distant future

I think by about June of last year we already had over 10 commits. Think that will be a good measure for when June rolls around to see where we stand in recruiting

-Bill O'Brien

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if coaches have to sign some sort of non-compete with former school of committed player to not try and re-offer said recruit at new school sometime in the distant future

I think by about June of last year we already had over 10 commits. Think that will be a good measure for when June rolls around to see where we stand in recruiting

Buddy... there is no such thing as some sort of non-compete for committed players at previous coach's job. I'm sure they'll consider him but even MSU should get 4* caliber guys there.

It will be interesting to see when commits come. Last summer, they didn't have a 2-10 record and could sell playing time and building while this year they'll have to talk up same talking points (PT and building program with leaders/winners) but also have to fight off other coaches talking 2-10 to those same recruits.

We continue to find the Brannons, Smiths, Dimerys, Pattons, Daniels, etc... we'll be building the right way. Also, I expect to add some guys be it walk-ons earning ships this summer like last summer 4 guys earned ships (so far Lanza has one) and blue shirting is likely in my opinion be it adding late JC/frshem signee (LB Lewis) or grad transfer (Like Miller/Printz) or other transfer (TV Williams/Graham).

Should be a fun summer!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Over/under on 60 days before he's offered by Mississippi State.

Under.......

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:

very common for coaches who move up to go after the guys they've already recruited. herman just flipped 3 uh verbals to texas. smart brought tevin mack from vcu.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't disagree that is common I just don't know that I agree with it in principle, recruits are not bound to their recruiter and it's easier to pressure young adults. I just think that somewhere long down the road the NCAA might step in and do something to disallow it as it really doesn't seem like it is great for the game

-Bill O'Brien

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobbumman wrote:
I don't disagree that is common I just don't know that I agree with it in principle, recruits are not bound to their recruiter and it's easier to pressure young adults. I just think that somewhere long down the road the NCAA might step in and do something to disallow it as it really doesn't seem like it is great for the game

I have to disagree with you here. You get the prospects that you earn. That includes any kids that come in with a new coach. We have the same opportunity to pull those recruits (within our realistic prospect pool) as well. I would have a hard time believing that if Nick Saban came in here and brought 4 ***** recruits that you would say," Nick, ya know.... they committed to Alabama. You should probably tell them to stay there." To have the NCAA begin to regulate commitments would be a scary idea as well.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Didn't Withers go after a good number of the JMU recruits as soon as got offered the TxSt job?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 pm
Junior Bobcat

El Gato wrote:
Didn't Withers go after a good number of the JMU recruits as soon as got offered the TxSt job?

I believe so, as he very well should've.

Kumonde Hines was one, I believe.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 am
SuperCat

Recent article on QB commit Stacey Connor mentions he's been in contact with Mississippi State: http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... acy-conner

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry Teis wrote:
Recent article on QB commit Stacey Connor mentions he's been in contact with Mississippi State: http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... acy-conner

And less than 60 days it was........

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Larry Teis wrote:

And less than 60 days it was........

I really wouldn't worry about it. It will play out on how well he does at his new high school, regardless of when he decommits or ... not. I think its likely he will and we'll likely be taking 1-2 QBs is my guess in this class. Only a 2nd if one of current signees moves positions... which is highly likely by end of next season. Just my guess.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next