Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
What you are seeing are the residual effects of a 2016-2017 Losing Campaign and High Turnover of Assistant Coaches. That is the reason for the recruiting performance not matching up to this years.

2 positives to look at and Bobcat34 pointed one of them out. One is that FBS Schools within the state are filling up fast with commitments and everyone knows Texas is a big state. And the other is Everett Withers' work ethic in the recruiting game. I think both will go hand and hand to produce some solid pickups later on.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

let's hope so, because it's getting to be about that time. we should be at around 10-12 right now.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatDis wrote:
What you are seeing are the residual effects of a 2016-2017 Losing Campaign and High Turnover of Assistant Coaches. That is the reason for the recruiting performance not matching up to this years.

there was also some poisoning of the well as some left the team. tyler jones and a couple of others shit all over the place on the way out.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
11 of the 2017 signees committed before the end of June last year. I'm pretty surprised to see us still sitting at 0 right now for 2018.

We did have a huge influx of commitments right around this time last year. I think 7 guys committed between 6/21 and 6/30 last year. Maybe we are due for a few this week and next.

x...

Good point but at the same time... not all of those commits signed with TXST so I wouldn't put too much into how many we had signed by June.

However, Coach Withers posted this yesterday:
everett withers‏ @everett_withers 22hrs ago
Love talking to our top guys in #TheProwl8 Everyone is ready for a big time weekend in #SanMarvelous

My guess is this weekend is the park, river weekend that we did last June with selected recruits (A&M just had one of these selected recruit weekends and they got 3 commits). Note where I say selected and Withers notes "Our Top Guys in #TheProwl8". Lets hope we can start this class by next week. Intrigued to see who visits and hopefully those on Bobcat Report can let us know! Ha!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

No. Maybe I didn't word it well enough, but OF THE 2017 SIGNEES 11 of them had committed before the end of June.

I'm not including commits we had at that time that didn't eventually sign.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
there was also some poisoning of the well as some left the team. tyler jones and a couple of others shit all over the place on the way out.

How did you come upon this information? Someone inside the program that you know, or just what you found on social media?

Not doubting, just curious.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

people close to the program. jones took one (two?) of the commits to lunch and told him we were a dumpster fire. he decommitted w/i a couple of days. jones' mom pretty much confirmed it too.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So, what upsets you?

That we're a dumpster fire?

Or the fact that he went all "Captain Obvious" and shared the news with a recruit?

It's not like anyone who doesn't do his homework couldn't/wouldn't figure it out . . . .

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

seeking out commits to sabotage the program as you leave is a pretty shitty thing to do.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x...

I understood your comment and I was just stating that not all of those early commits signed so in my opinion, it doesn't matter. You are correct that we had that many in a quick time period.

In regards to Tyler Jones, it says something about Tyler Jones. In the end, sounds to me he went out of his way to do that and if true...

No one really said much that Tyler Jones wasn't a team leader when it came out Loyd, Schrade, Melton, and someone else were our team leaders. It told me a lot about him as a leader. Moving on. He had one of the better QB careers at TXST.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My opinion of Jones as he finished out his career at TxSt was beginning to sour... sort of sensing entitlement (not a shock given stories I've heard about the Stephenville team dating back to Art Briles days there).

A collegiate athlete should always seek to leave on positive terms. It is training for the workplace. I've left plenty of jobs where I thought by bosses were no-talent ass clowns, but I made certain that was not "known" and kept the bridge intact rather than burning it.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
My opinion of Jones as he finished out his career at TxSt was beginning to sour... sort of sensing entitlement (not a shock given stories I've heard about the Stephenville team dating back to Art Briles days there).

A collegiate athlete should always seek to leave on positive terms. It is training for the workplace. I've left plenty of jobs where I thought by bosses were no-talent ass clowns, but I made certain that was not "known" and kept the bridge intact rather than burning it.

Exactly. Burning bridges on your way out is just stupid no matter how bad it was. The real world is smaller than many realize when you will cross paths with people again. Doing it to the team that gave you free college is pretty shitty but probably won't affect his life. But if he keeps that mentality with him in his career it'll bite him in the ass.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't think it was entitlement, I see it more as just beat down and becoming part of the problem.

Did Jones grow as a player while here? I can't say he did, and I blame the coaching staff for that.

Then throw in three years of Fran messing with the offense. Last year, coach didn't really like any seniors (it was his throwaway year, so they were going to do nothing for him).

It's a shitty situation for him and for us.

Though it's still poor form to bad mouth the program on the way out. Just say you aren't interested in talking with recruits and leave it at that.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Right now, the biggest concerns for signees are OL and that transfer QB. Since he's on campus already, I am now concerned about the OL.

Pesa Tupa not making it in hurts my heart, because I did like him.

within just a few short days of NSD...5 of our decommits were all lineman and we're losing sleep over a juco dude?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

he was one of our highest ranked offensive lineman commits. tied w/ mayes - also a juco guy. kind of a big loss.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next