Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
x wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
not sure why you're doing that math bk34.

Withers said in his press conference this week we're currently at 68 scholarship players and we will still be 11 short at just 74 next year. Seems with a 25 man class we should be around 80 with the number of seniors currently on the team.

The difference might be a few scholarships he hands out to current walk-ons.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
The difference might be a few scholarships he hands out to current walk-ons.

:? that would add to our total number, not take away.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 am
True Bobcat Fan

We'll figure out the official number by December once we figure out how many we'll sign but I don't think it will be 25; rather 18-20.

When those other 11 ships can be used again may be based on the next class. Remember, we added just 20 or so in Withers 1st class (2016 class) then took 5 blue shirts that would count towards the 2017 class and we took 25 that class so we actually took 30 ship players counting the blue shirts. So within 2 classes, we took 50 with still more players that transferred or quit (remember we had seniors decide to quit than come back for 5th year).

So going into 2018 class, it would be reasonable to think we have 25 but if ships aren't available due to ships having to sit a year like say Willie Williams ship as he transferred last Jan. and his ship may need to sit until class of 2019 as could say Ulocha (quite during end of season was the rumor), LG Williams, Karee Berry, Guidry, Mayberry, Connor White, PJ Anderson, Cody Casey. That right there is 8 ships from that 11 that are likely why they can't be used in 2018 class. The last 3 could be either I'm forgetting someone from roster or players that quit team during season. Could it be Printz ship too?

In the end, its really just me trying to figure out how many ships we have this class and I'm going to stick with my guess as 18-20.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
We'll figure out the official number by December once we figure out how many we'll sign but I don't think it will be 25; rather 18-20.

why do you think that? 25/85 says otherwise.

edit: other than withers' comments earlier this week?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 am
Junior Bobcat

Withers future number may also be including expected attrition. Also, wouldn't be surprised Hutch White and/or Dennis Johnson get put on scholarship. Believe Greg Peace is the other walk-on that has been listed on the depth chart this season. I also have us at 71 scholarships this season but what do I know.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

apparently the current number is 67, not 68.

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/922237212594442243

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm
SuperCat

Looks like 2* CB Auston Deason decomitted.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

What's sad is that when we eventually reach 85 scholarships (whether it's the 2019 season or 2020 season, hopefully in time for Aggie game) we still won't be 100% on par with other programs' numbers because we will have given away several scholarships to some walk-ons that otherwise might not have recieved that scholarship had we been a full house of scholarships when it was given away. In other words we won't be playing with "true scholarship players" until all our former walk-on scholarship players have graduated. I mean it's not very likely that walk-on guys nearly on their way out of the program like Rubin would be put on scholarship if we had a full house

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobbumman wrote:
What's sad is that when we eventually reach 85 scholarships (whether it's the 2019 season or 2020 season, hopefully in time for Aggie game) we still won't be 100% on par with other programs' numbers because we will have given away several scholarships to some walk-ons that otherwise might not have recieved that scholarship had been a full house of scholarships. In other words we won't be playing with "true scholarship players" until all our former walk-on scholarship players have graduated

Many teams across the country give scholarships to walk-ons. I think Ripley is the only freshman or sophomore that have a scholarship what came as a walk-on. Everyone else will be gone by 2019. Withers knows he will get close to 85 and we’ll see less walk-ons get scholarships. I’d bet Hutch White could get a scholarship. I’m sure there will be a couple more over the next couple years but that is normal. Not real sure I see an issue with what you’re attempting to portray.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

every school has former walk-ons on scholarship.

At the conclusion of Friday's practice, head coach Nick Saban announced to the team that walk-ons Truett Harris (Sr., TE, Brentwood, Tenn.), Brandon Moore (Sr., TE, Cincinnati, Ohio) and Levi Wallace (Jr., DB, Tucson, Ariz.) have been awarded scholarships. The three join fellow former walk-on Jamey Mosley (Soph., LB, Mobile, Ala.), who was awarded a scholarship earlier in training camp.

Elijaah Goins, a wide receiver from Concord, North Carolina, and Zach Turnure, a linebacker from St. Louis, Missouri, each received their awards during practice on Saturday. Ohio State's official Twitter account posted video of the special moments for both players.

Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher was shown awarding redshirt senior walk-on offensive lineman Keith Weeks a scholarship during the Tuesday evening episode of 'A Season With..' on Showtime. It also came out on Wednesday that Weeks wasn't the only walk-on to be awarded a scholarship. Redshirt junior wide receiver Bryan LaCivita was also placed on scholarship, per Seminoles.com's Tim Linafelt.

Oregon halted a recent football practice to watch a video message from Kaulana Apelu's mother. With the entire team looking on, she informed her son that he had received a full scholarship.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

who wants to bet the Tide fsu and oregon's walk ons are better than our scholarship players?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Guys... some of you are really discussing something that doesn't matter.

If in the NEXT 2 years Withers is not winning, he'll be gone. That is plain and simple. If those are walk-ons that had to carry this team, then that is/was the problem.

No program is carried by their walk-ons. Sure there are times one will stand out like Baker Mayfield that started as a walk-on at TT but those are very, very few.

Point is, don't worry if we have 4-5 walk-ons earn ships. That is the least of our concerns.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Guys... some of you are really discussing something that doesn't matter.

They don't get it and they don't want to.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:
If in the NEXT 2 years Withers is not winning, he'll be gone.

This is taking it even MORE off topic, but you think he's got a 2 year 'hook'?

I'd say if we aren't at least knocking on bowl eligibility next season (meaning 5 wins or 4 wins with a nailbiter in there), I would think his seat would be like lava.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Withers just tweeted that they added a new playmaker on offense.

Sorry, no other details.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next