Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
David Mayo had no offers...

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

Some of our best players were poorly rated/had no offers. On the flip-side, most of our higher rated players did jack shit. The recruits will come once we win more. If we can be a middle of the pack SBC team this season, I fully expect for us to be number 1 in SBC recruiting rankings.

From all the video clips from spring practice, it seems like the coaches are a little bit more confident in the product they have here. I can't wait till the spring game.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 am
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
No. Do you really think the top-ranked Sun Belt class had a quarter of their signees with a combined one [additional] FBS offer?

*fixed for accuracy
uh, yes. because math. the reason they are the top rated class is due to the top of their class, not the bottom.

arkst had 14 3* and 23 overall to gaso's 11 3* and 22 overall, not to mention an overall higher avg player rating
however, gaso's player avg is higher both 1-5 (+.01) and 1-15 (+.007), so the ass end of the class doesn't really matter

for reference, the bottom 6 for txst have an avg rating almost identical to gaso's bottom 6 (gaso +.0025), and their fbs offers were all service academies that toss out offers like candy:
stewart - no other offers
caillouet - 1 fbs (service academy) and 1 fcs
johnson - 2 fcs
calvin - no other offers
schaefer - 2 fbs (both svc acad), 2 fcs, 1 d2
moore - 1 fcs

the idea that there is some huge gap between classes in our conference is simply not valid. the top 5 in the sbc have an avg player rating difference of less than 2pts. the avg diff between 1-5 for p5 conf is over 6pts.

run faster wrote:
At least two of those signees stopped their recruiting early and wouldn't field calls from other schools.

right. lots of 2* kids w/ only 1 offer shut it down early and refuse calls from other schools. :roll:
run faster wrote:
At least two of them had more offers than you've claimed for them. Just because a kid doesn't announce his offer on Twitter (where 247 gets a lot of their initial info) doesn't mean the offers don't exist.

this is like arguing bad weather only affected one team.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
At least two of them had more offers than you've claimed for them. Just because a kid doesn't announce his offer on Twitter (where 247 gets a lot of their initial info) doesn't mean the offers don't exist.

I gotta ask... How do you know this? I mean... What sources do you have that says "nope, they got more than that, they are just keeping it quiet"?

I'm not doubting it, because... well, reporting on 2 stars is not the best... But, I'm just curious how you can state this so confidently.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobkat34 wrote:
Pieeaters wrote:
Tachie is currently practicing as LT with the twos during Spring ball.

Any other info Pieeaters? Thanks in advance. Would like to hear as much about where players are taking reps.

As for the o-line, L to R-
Ones= Brewer, Heitmeier, Jordan, Washington, Rowland
Twos= Tachie, Carlile, Fryrear, King, Janak
Lemons has been getting reps with the twos. Foster is in concussion protocol and unable to practice.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks Pieeaters! This is the most info we've received in a long, long time.

Very surprising that Heitmeier is with the 1s. I thought the videos from Mateos showed Carlile with 1s. I'd have to assume if Heitmeier continues to start going into this weekend that he may earn a ship.

Interesting on Lemons, who is not with 2s but getting reps with 1s. Huh.

I'm still thinking 1-2 of the 4 incoming freshmen may have to play or at minimum be in 2-deep. My money would be on the guys with size (Macadory and Momerelle).

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 pm
Junior Bobcat

Pieeaters wrote:
Bobkat34 wrote:
Pieeaters wrote:
Tachie is currently practicing as LT with the twos during Spring ball.

Any other info Pieeaters? Thanks in advance. Would like to hear as much about where players are taking reps.

Lemons has been getting reps with the twos. Foster is in concussion protocol and unable to practice.

Wow. That oline group is in need of some help. That’s only six scholarship guys with Lemons and Vatterot not looking to be in the staff’s plans. Hopefully Foster can fully recover and be ready come summer. I assume he’d start.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobkat34 wrote:
Thanks Pieeaters! This is the most info we've received in a long, long time.

Very surprising that Heitmeier is with the 1s. I thought the videos from Mateos showed Carlile with 1s. I'd have to assume if Heitmeier continues to start going into this weekend that he may earn a ship.

Interesting on Lemons, who is not with 2s but getting reps with 1s. Huh.

I'm still thinking 1-2 of the 4 incoming freshmen may have to play or at minimum be in 2-deep. My money would be on the guys with size (Macadory and Momerelle).

Heitmeier moved to the 1s and Carlile to the 2s week 3 of Spring Camp.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Lemons has been getting reps with the twos. Foster is in concussion protocol and unable to practice.[/quote]
Wow. That oline group is in need of some help. That’s only six scholarship guys with Lemons and Vatterot not looking to be in the staff’s plans. Hopefully Foster can fully recover and be ready come summer. I assume he’d start.[/quote]

I hear the o-line has been developing some good chemistry as of late and is “winning” against the defense recently. Should make for an interesting Spring Game. Also, I think Vattertot has been injured most if not all of the Spring.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pieeaters wrote:
I hear the o-line has been developing some good chemistry as of late and is “winning” against the defense recently. Should make for an interesting Spring Game.

The flip side of that equation is that is still our defense and we'll probably still struggle to get anywhere near the opposing QB

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

For the first time in a long time, I feel very optimistic about our O-line.

Brewer is blue collar with all-conference talent.

Foster and Jordan were very good for true freshman last year and theyll continue to develop and get stronger. I really hope Foster's concussion problems aren't long term.

We just need 2 guards to step up and I think between Heitmeier, Washington, Rowland, Carlile, Lemons, and the 4 true freshman - we have good size and should be able to find 2 guys to take the position.

Mateos has been posting videos of the 1:1 board drills with the D-line and some of these guys like Heitmeier and Janak have looked pretty good.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

little bummed lemons hasn't showed out. thought he was going to be legit but he's barely running 2nd team after 3 years on campus.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
For the first time in a long time, I feel very optimistic about our O-line.

Brewer is blue collar with all-conference talent.

Foster and Jordan were very good for true freshman last year and theyll continue to develop and get stronger. I really hope Foster's concussion problems aren't long term.

We just need 2 guards to step up and I think between Heitmeier, Washington, Rowland, Carlile, Lemons, and the 4 true freshman - we have good size and should be able to find 2 guys to take the position.

Mateos has been posting videos of the 1:1 board drills with the D-line and some of these guys like Heitmeier and Janak have looked pretty good.

Guys... I wish I could be more optimistic.

I'm not going to give this spring much of a true evaluation of where players sit. I'll wait til August when 290lbs Macadory and Momerelle join with 270lb Cooks and 260lb Moore (my guess is Moore dropped weight for HS wrestling reason).

I still think we'll need 2-3 of these 4 to be on 2 deep.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobkat34 wrote:
tx.state wrote:

Guys... I wish I could be more optimistic.

I'm not going to give this spring much of a true evaluation of where players sit. I'll wait til August when 290lbs Macadory and Momerelle join with 270lb Cooks and 260lb Moore (my guess is Moore dropped weight for HS wrestling reason).

I still think we'll need 2-3 of these 4 to be on 2 deep.

The o-line is improving but admittedly had a long way to go.
Heitmeier is down to right around 300lbs while most of the others have put on weight. They are all bigger and stronger. And, they’ve all been coached by Mateos for a year now (or close to it). Mateos, Kuhr and HCEW have all talked about how we are now practicing situations instead of fundamentals and techniques. That’s progress.
Really bummed about Foster. His situation appears to be pretty serious.
The incoming guys will certainly add needed depth. Remember what HCEW said in his Spring presser about freshman phenoms and playing right away. I’m not expecting too much more than depth since it is such as significant change from HS to D1. And these guys are still young. AB’s Summer program is intense and I hope the newbies are prepared.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pieeaters... really appreciate your info! Would like to hear more about the DL.

If you don't mind, move it to the Spring Camp post (this is recruiting) someone started (about videos, etc...). I'd rather keep the conversation on the right post.

Thanks!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next