Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Recruiting 2018: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
Larry Teis wrote:
Ijiyera had his offer pulled. He actually plays for HBU. Darren Thomas wasn't an OL. He played D --
he was another guy that got his offer rescinded

lol @ withers being in any position to pull an offer from any decently rated lineman on either side of the ball given our state of affairs in the trenches and his track record of sacks and turnover margins. how do you know the offer wasn't pulled after the decommitment took place like in the case of costilla. if costilla ends up having no offers in 2 weeks do you really think we should pass on giving a solid 3*** lineman his offer back? lets be real...theres no safe "number" of commits on either side of the line for us. i for one wouldnt mind if our class was made up of 20 lineman and 5 secondary players

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 pm
SuperCat

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Larry Teis wrote:
Ijiyera had his offer pulled. He actually plays for HBU. Darren Thomas wasn't an OL. He played D --
he was another guy that got his offer rescinded

lol @ withers being in any position to pull an offer from any decently rated lineman on either side of the ball given our state of affairs in the trenches and his track record of sacks and turnover margins. how do you know the offer wasn't pulled after the decommitment took place like in the case of costilla. if costilla ends up having no offers in 2 weeks do you really think we should pass on giving a solid 3*** lineman his offer back? lets be real...theres no safe "number" of commits on either side of the line for us. i for one wouldnt mind if our class was made up of 20 lineman and 5 secondary players

You make it sound like Castilla had his offer rescinded, was it? Don't remember reading anywhere that it was.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

pretty sure costilla does not have a commitable offer from us at this point.

curious to know what went down w/ him, as it's obvious we're not the only ones who soured on him.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:

You make it sound like Castilla had his offer rescinded, was it? Don't remember reading anywhere that it was.

He de-committed and then it was pulled. See here: https://imgur.com/a/ige7Y

It might be grades, might be attitude problems, or it may be the fact that he's expecting a kid.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 pm
SuperCat

damn, interesting about costilla. Does make you wonder what the deal is. Checked out his twitter and saw this on Nov. 25th.

Quote:
Personally, this might be the last time I hang them up.....

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
pretty sure costilla does not have a commitable offer from us at this point.

curious to know what went down w/ him, as it's obvious we're not the only ones who soured on him.

Ditto. While I hadn't heard a bunch on the kid, I never heard anything negative about him.

Strange that he would decommit with no other offers in hand, and that he still (14 days away from early signing period) has no offers.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The Costilla situation was not that odd/weird other than why he's been left on the outside of most DI schools.

He committed to TXST and seemed happy then de-committed after York did and visited I believe Baylor. Maybe he thought he would get an offer from them. Not sure. TXST has their Party in the Park and gets 4 commits and then Monday their 5th OL commit... then it seems he was interested in recommitting but we were filled (tweet in other post). Players are offered until spot is filled and that tweet was 1-2 days after 5 OL committed. Recruiting goes both ways.

That is how I remember it. Again, something is not right that DI schools are passing on him but it seems all of them have made this decision.

I'm past the "we gotta have 3* players" mode. I'm all of bringing in players that fit system and have the work ethic of guys like Dean Taylor (from 215 to 285 in one full year) to Robert Brown getting stronger physically. I want 3* guys but I can name you some that never panned out like DB Summers (quit), DE Kingsley Ike (quit), DT Hopkins (off team after redshirt), and RB Jamel Jones (off team after redshirt).

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34, you seem to follow recruiting more than me, so I gotta ask...

It's not uncommon for a kid to decommit from a university without any other offers in hand? I get counting on yoruself and having faith that more would come... I would just think that parents would step in and say "hey... keep looking, but don't decommit until you have another offer!"

Or am I reading too much into it?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Looks like Blinn visted Costilla

https://twitter.com/alex_cstilla/status ... 0779603968

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Bobkat34, you seem to follow recruiting more than me, so I gotta ask...

It's not uncommon for a kid to decommit from a university without any other offers in hand? I get counting on yoruself and having faith that more would come... I would just think that parents would step in and say "hey... keep looking, but don't decommit until you have another offer!"

Or am I reading too much into it?

Rev...

I think there are many different things that happen.... For instance, York had UCLA contacting him and he went on a visit (somewhere in all of that he decommitted from what I remember) and even Costilla had some interest from Baylor that didn't lead to anything (decommitted and visited). Now both of these were very early in recruiting so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

The ones that decommit without other DI offers or better DI offers... maybe it wasn't as much as them decommitting as it was the program moving a different way. We as fans never find that stuff out.

One would think they would do like you said and wait until that other offer is given then decommit (many schools won't offer unless the kid is can't miss or they visit). That is the more reasonable way but there are coaches that say if you visit elsewhere we assume you are decommitted or you must decommit, which I do agree with. If you are "so committed", why visit anywhere else.

In the grand scheme of things, recruiting is a game. You either do it well and get where you want or lose and end up somewhere that they weren't expecting.

Someone just noted Costilla looking at Blinn... that is telling. Unless he gets no offers and is a qualifier, then he's likely a nonqualifier and DI schools stay away and never "waste" a ship on this. Fran took his shots over the years as has Withers most recently.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/Coach_P_Fleming/sta ... 2611914752
https://twitter.com/everett_withers/sta ... 9109429255

Got a new commit. Apparently it is someone local.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

Tyler Vitt:

Brian Perroni‏Verified account
@Perroni247
41m41 minutes ago
More
San Antonio MacArthur QB Tyler Vitt (@17tylervitt17) has committed to #TXST: http://bit.ly/2jHEMI7

He tweeted the same as well:
https://twitter.com/17tylervitt17/status/939913280637882368

I liked his video and have heard he had a very good senior year. I think this is a good get for us building depth at QB and more importantly competition at QB position for next 3-4 years.

This would be 22 ships, assuming kicker holds a ship offer (I'm assuming so since Withers noted they needed to improve in kicking game in 2nd to last pre-game conference). With 3 left in class and hoping to have 2 more (Pesa ship that was not used and hopefully getting back the JC OT that was physically unable to play), it looks to me we gotta find 1-2 DE/DL to help in depth (I think DE is a major need for that type of skill set... not just a big DT with 5 guys that can play there) and if again we have those ships (5 left is my hope)... then adding either a LB/DB, TE, and best skill player available.

Last edited by Bobkat34 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Highest rated commit we have on 247 as of now.

Withers doesn't recruit many pro-style QBs. Didn't watch video, but I'm assuming he can run a bit?

Edit: Watched a bit of the tape. Guy can certainly run. Over 1,000 yards rushing this year and 8 rushing TDs. I'd say he's a DT QB. Just racially profiled as Pro-Style.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

In other news:

CB Commit Jarron Morris:
https://twitter.com/_Morris_Era/status/939924576657641472

LB Commit Justin Wright:
https://twitter.com/justinnwrightt/status/939898636128972800

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm
SuperCat

Damn, nice pick up!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next